Easy Tiger

hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Anybody pick it up yet?
I knew a lot of the songs already, and it's still blowing me away. Very, very strong record.
Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    I just picked it up, but the whole record is streaming here:

http://www.muchmusic.com/music/firstspin/ryanadams/

I like it. A lot. "These Girls" is a great tune, and "Halloween Head" is going to be so good live!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I watched the video for "Halloween Head" earlier on yahoo launch. Who knew Ryan Adams had a sense of humor? Mine's coming any day now from Amazon. Can't wait.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    gabers wrote:
    Who knew Ryan Adams had a sense of humor?

Well, check out the 20-something albums he put up (streaming) on ryan-adams.com on Cardinal Radio. He's definately the "silliest" serious musician in rock/country/whateva.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Fantastic album! I picked it up this morning along with PJ's Live @ the Gorge. My CD player is gonna be very busy over the next little while.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i just finished listening to it all the way through for the first time. i avoided the leak, but i did hear most of the songs live a few weeks ago.

i'm not too sure what i think of it so far. it's pretty consistent, but i feel like the good parts aren't quite great (except a couple) and the bad parts aren't horrible. i wish the songs were a little longer and some of them are a lot faster on this record than the live versions, and i prefer the slower, more acoustic versions to these, i think.

i think the record will grow on me with time. i immediately liked almost all of the tracks, with "halloweenhead," "the sun also sets," "rip off," and especially "i taught myself how to grow old" being the highlights for me. the songs i don't care for so much, at least right now are "oh my god, whatever, etc.," "tears of gold," "off broadway," and "two hearts."

i definitely need to listen to this more before i can make a better decision about it, but i will say that his vocals stand out a lot better on this record than past ones, it's a good production job for him.

what does everyone else think so far?
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    i just finished listening to it all the way through for the first time. i avoided the leak, but i did hear most of the songs live a few weeks ago.

i'm not too sure what i think of it so far. it's pretty consistent, but i feel like the good parts aren't quite great (except a couple) and the bad parts aren't horrible. i wish the songs were a little longer and some of them are a lot faster on this record than the live versions, and i prefer the slower, more acoustic versions to these, i think.

i think the record will grow on me with time. i immediately liked almost all of the tracks, with "halloweenhead," "the sun also sets," "rip off," and especially "i taught myself how to grow old" being the highlights for me. the songs i don't care for so much, at least right now are "oh my god, whatever, etc.," "tears of gold," "off broadway," and "two hearts."

i definitely need to listen to this more before i can make a better decision about it, but i will say that his vocals stand out a lot better on this record than past ones, it's a good production job for him.

what does everyone else think so far?

I've listened to it all the way through twice now, and I'm really enjoying it. I wouldn't say it's album of the year material, but from what I've absorbed so far I think it's a very solid album and easily ranks right up there with his best efforts.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i'm sorta disappointed...i heard live versions of "Goodnight Rose" and "These Girls" that were slow-burning quasi-grunge epics. I was pysched-this was damn good material and really something different from Adams. Instead, we again get an album of alt country esque stuff, which was always my least favorite of his works. I was hoping for another surprise from Adams, instead what we mainly have here is, as Rolling Stone pointed out, exactly what one would expect from Adams.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    LedZepFan wrote:
    I was hoping for another surprise from Adams, instead what we mainly have here is, as Rolling Stone pointed out, exactly what one would expect from Adams.

you say that like it's a bad thing. :)

pfft rolling stone. what the hell would they know? :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    LedZepFan wrote:
    i'm sorta disappointed...i heard live versions of "Goodnight Rose" and "These Girls" that were slow-burning quasi-grunge epics. I was pysched-this was damn good material and really something different from Adams. Instead, we again get an album of alt country esque stuff, which was always my least favorite of his works. I was hoping for another surprise from Adams, instead what we mainly have here is, as Rolling Stone pointed out, exactly what one would expect from Adams.

For what it's worth, this is, of the approx. three and a half albums he recorded last and early this year, the only stuff Lost Highway would release.
    It's supposedly his last album (barring the unreleased album box set later this year) with them.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Just listened to the album, pretty awesome, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Boring
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I really like it, solid album. I LOVE "The Sun Also Sets"....wow, what a great song.

I was lucky enough to get into his show last night at the Hiro Ballroom in NYC (about 500 people or so).......I've never heard Ryan sound so clear, the new songs sounded awesome with some great oldies sprinkled in. Not to mention his encore was a cover of "Down In A Hole" (AIC).
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    hailhail82 wrote:
    For what it's worth, this is, of the approx. three and a half albums he recorded last and early this year, the only stuff Lost Highway would release.
    It's supposedly his last album (barring the unreleased album box set later this year) with them.

yeah i heard about the box set...looking forward to seeing what's in store there

man i just wish 'goodnight rose' was remotely close to the amazing live version
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love this record!!!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    I've been listening to it constantly. A couple of the songs sound a little country so they haven't really grabbed me yet, but I like the album. Ryan Adams is genius.
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • larslars Posts: 524
    haven´t heard it yet but still boring
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    I like it but it still doesn't match up to cold roses or any album before that but it think its better than jacksonville city nights and 29.
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    lars wrote:
    haven´t heard it yet but still boring

you always come into every ryan adams thread and say it's boring, we know already that you think that.