Options

Robert Pollard/My Morning Jacket

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited May 2006 in Other Music
hey all,

Whats the best album from each of these artists? I have really been unimpressed by what I've downloaded of My morning Jacket so far.
Pollard is another story, pretty wicked music. I like Dancing girls, Field Jacket Blues, The right thing, Gold is ok... I like widow too

So what albums should I buy. I guess for My morning Jacket I wanna know what their most accessible album is, like their transatlanticism.

Thanks all
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    If you are getting into Pollard because you are seeing him open somewhere......definitely pick up his new record, From A Compound Eye. Pick that up along with "Human Amusements at Hourly Rates" by Guided by Voices.

He will most likely play all songs from the new record and a few GBV hits.

I could go on and on about how great GBV/Pollard records are, but I'm not going to bore you.

those two would be the smartest options if you are planning on catching a PJ show with him opening and you want to be familiar with the music.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    So what albums should I buy. I guess for My morning Jacket I wanna know what their most accessible album is, like their transatlanticism.

Thanks all

If you're not impressed by "Z" most probably you're dead...
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    Z is MMJs best album?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    I only have It Still Moves and Z so far, and while both are very good albums, I would go with It Still Moves to start with. I've been trying to find At Dawn or Tenn. Fire around here for awhile, and NOONE has them. I'm gonna have to break down and order them from Amazon or something. What I've heard from each of those records is very cool as well.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    StoneG82 wrote:
    If you are getting into Pollard because you are seeing him open somewhere......definitely pick up his new record, From A Compound Eye. Pick that up along with "Human Amusements at Hourly Rates" by Guided by Voices.

He will most likely play all songs from the new record and a few GBV hits.

I could go on and on about how great GBV/Pollard records are, but I'm not going to bore you.

those two would be the smartest options if you are planning on catching a PJ show with him opening and you want to be familiar with the music.

What he/she said.

I love me some Pollard, like MMJ quite a bit, too, but Uncle Bob is one of my favorites. He also has a tendency to play stuff off of his upcoming albums live.

Damn, I wish I was going to Pittsburgh or Cincy...
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    get Guided By Voices' Bee Thousand
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Mike BradyMike Brady Posts: 19
    Mike Brady Here,

Get It Still Moves from MMJ. BY FAR their best effort. At Dawn is also quite good. Z was a dissapointment as far as I'm concerned. Still good, but doesn't touch the rest of their catalog.

Peace.
  • Options
    i only own "z" and it took awhile to get but i do like it in the end

thanks for the pollard tip :)
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    For MMJ I would recommend At Dawn. I had to order it from Amazon.com, no good record stores in Hburg. I also like Z, you see the band evolve with the new band members. I first got them when I heard they were opening for PJ and I wanted to check them out. I am glad I did.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?