SMC: Willie Nelson- Teatro

AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Hi folks. Sorry for the delay in getting this up.

This week I bring you Willie Nelson's excellent 1998 album Teatro. Produced by Daniel Lanois (who had just come off of doing Dylan's Time Out of Mind) and featuring Emmylou Harris adding vocals on the majority of the tracks, this is one of, if not the, favorite Willie record I own. Both Nelson's and Lanois' fingerpicking are the musical highlights of the record for me. This is a moody album, and I'd recommend headphones to immerse yourself in the sonic layers Lanois is so good at creating.

I hope you all enjoy it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sweet, i can't wait to listen to this
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    cool. I have decided this year I will be diving into Country music. You know, the GOOD country. I picked up a Hank Williams last week and I am currently listening to Johnny Cash's '87 Austin City Limits recording.

Your pick obviously fits the GOOD criteria. Should be fun.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    my dad loved willie and waylon... will check this out, thanks! ;]
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    kdpjam wrote:
    my dad loved willie and waylon... will check this out, thanks! ;]
    same here. I think it drove me to listen to metal at a very early age. I enjoy now hearing those songs again. Saw Willie in concert a few years back and his version of Poncho and Lefty left me speechless. Still does.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Here's a clip of Willie performing 'I Never Cared For You'.
    This CD does scream Lanois (which is cool with me). I felt myself humming Dylan's Political World at times. Some of these tracks would sound neat if Dylan sang a couple.

Amazing after how much Nelson has abused himself that he is able to sing that smoothly still. I love that voice, sooooo relaxing. It doesn't really sound all that much like a country recording.

I like I Never Cared For You, My Own Peculiar Way, Somebody Picked up the Pieces, Home Motel. I am not sure when I'll be able to listen with headphones but yeah, this CD would be enhanced by using them.

Alright, Country has now been represented by the SMC. Nice work.

Side note, does anybody have any of Lanois solo releases? I have one (Shine) and I hate it, wonder if it needs a re-listen.
  • Although I think Williy's timing is off a little, you gotta respect "bloody mary morning" with the Supersuckers.

Here's the tonight show, but I recommend getting the version where Eddie Spaghetti sings, utter excellence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m01wnyjk4sY
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
    transplant wrote:
    Side note, does anybody have any of Lanois solo releases? I have one (Shine) and I hate it, wonder if it needs a re-listen.

I have Acadie and it's decent. Lots of New Orleans/Cajun influences on that one.

I love his score work on Sling Blade. It's not easy to listen to outside of the film and in your car or anything, but if your mood fits, it's amazing.
    Anybody else even bother to grab this?
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i did. props for putting mr. nelson in the smc ;]
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~