SMC- Yet Another SMC Super Mega Mega Mix

AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
edited September 2006 in Other Music
SMC MIX- SEPTEMBER 2006

Hi folks. With the success of the previous couple of mixes that have been created for the SMC, I figured I'd try one too.

Now, chances are you'll know of some, if not most (maybe even all) of who's represented on here. There isn't anyone on here that is uber-unknown or anything like that. In fact, there's one on here that, being on this message board, if you don't know who it is, then something is wrong! I actually hope that you are familiar with, and actually like, a song or two on here- mixes tend to be better received when the listener has something familiar to fall back on. For those unfamiliar with any particular band on here, I hope you'll be moved to check out more material by whatever band you happen to like a song from.

Anyway, the idea behind this playlist was to put a mix together of a bunch of the songs that tend to wind up on mixes that I make for other people. All of these songs have made multiple appearances on various mixes I've put together over the years. Consider it 'AndySlash's Sixteen Greatest Mega-Mix Hits Super Mix' or something else equally as redundant. I love every one of these songs, and I love sharing them with other people. I hope you like it, too.

Tracklist

1. The Dears- Autonomy (live)
2. Malachi Constant- The Spice of Life
3. The Ponys- She's Broken
4. Tomorrow- Now Your Time Has Come
5. Caribou- Bees
6. Piano Magic- Already Ghosts
7. Hrsta- Lucy's Sad
8. Stone Gossard- Bayleaf
9. The Flaming Lips- Seven Nation Army
10. Mogwai- Dial: Revenge
11. Gus- Don't Fear the Reaper
12. Spoon- Car Radio
13. Bright Eyes- The Calendar Hung Itself...
14. The Good Life- Album Of the Year
15. Sigur Ros- Untitled 8 (aka Popplagið / The Pop Song)
16. Black Heart Procession- Till We Have to Say Goodbye

I think something in a couple of the files is somehow misrepresenting the time, because when I burned the mix to CD using Roxio it clocked in at exactly 80:00 (which was purely coincidence). The playlist has it at 80:36 or so. If you're like me and like to listen to the SMC picks from a CD in your car or somewhere other than your computer, I hope it's not a problem to burn it.

The file is in two parts, so make sure you grab both of them.

I look forward to your comments.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    AndySlash wrote:
    SMC MIX- SEPTEMBER 2006

Hi folks. With the success of the previous couple of mixes that have been created for the SMC, I figured I'd try one too.

Now, chances are you'll know of some, if not most (maybe even all) of who's represented on here. There isn't anyone on here that is uber-unknown or anything like that. In fact, there's one on here that, being on this message board, if you don't know who it is, then something is wrong! I actually hope that you are familiar with, and actually like, a song or two on here- mixes tend to be better received when the listener has something familiar to fall back on. For those unfamiliar with any particular band on here, I hope you'll be moved to check out more material by whatever band you happen to like a song from.

Anyway, the idea behind this playlist was to put a mix together of a bunch of the songs that tend to wind up on mixes that I make for other people. All of these songs have made multiple appearances on various mixes I've put together over the years. Consider it 'AndySlash's Sixteen Greatest Mega-Mix Hits Super Mix' or something else equally as redundant. I love every one of these songs, and I love sharing them with other people. I hope you like it, too.

Tracklist

1. The Dears- Autonomy (live)
    2. Malachi Constant- The Spice of Life
    3. The Ponys- She's Broken
    4. Tomorrow- Now Your Time Has Come
    5. Caribou- Bees
    6. Piano Magic- Already Ghosts
    7. Hrsta- Lucy's Sad
    8. Stone Gossard- Bayleaf
    9. The Flaming Lips- Seven Nation Army
    10. Mogwai- Dial: Revenge
    11. Gus- Don't Fear the Reaper
    12. Spoon- Car Radio
    13. Bright Eyes- The Calendar Hung Itself...
    14. The Good Life- Album Of the Year
    15. Sigur Ros- Untitled 8 (aka Popplagið / The Pop Song)
    16. Black Heart Procession- Till We Have to Say Goodbye

I think something in a couple of the files is somehow misrepresenting the time, because when I burned the mix to CD using Roxio it clocked in at exactly 80:00 (which was purely coincidence). The playlist has it at 80:36 or so. If you're like me and like to listen to the SMC picks from a CD in your car or somewhere other than your computer, I hope it's not a problem to burn it.

The file is in two parts, so make sure you grab both of them.

I look forward to your comments.

i can guarantee they will be great comments, at least from me... very awesome mix.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I should add, you're not going to rock out to this mix- there's only a few songs that are above mid-tempo. I recommend relaxing with some headphones. Maybe get stoned, too, if you're into that kind of thing.
    Also, a few of these bands' songs (Dears, Malachi, Hrsta, Mogwai) were introduced to me from mixes I got from other people. Consider this 'paying it forward'.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    cool. I have actually never heard a single note off Bayleaf.
  • Hi everyone!
    It's been a long, long time, huh?
    you don't wanna know why... well, actually yes I've been working my ass out to see PJ in Europe next week, in the meantime had to deal with lots of bullshith... and I did survive... I don't even know what songs they've been playing in this tour.
    Glad to see the SMC is still goin' on!!
    Hey, if you see Vedhead, tell her I'm still waiting an e-mail from her confirming her address.
    Wow, I almost feel like a stranger here right now.
    Good life to all and everyone of you!
    -BC
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    The Calendar Hung Itself?

if that was the only song I had ever heard from Bright Eyes I would hate him.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    transplant wrote:
    cool. I have actually never heard a single note off Bayleaf.
    That makes two of us. Infact I've only heard the last 2 songs on the mix. Shall download it tonight.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    good hearing from you barcoach! If you can get back into the swing of things and want to put an SMC pick up let me know. In the meantime, enjoy your trip to Europe.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    When I went to burn this to CD, it came to 80:11, so I had to cut out Stone's song, which I'm OK with since I have the album already. There's only a few others on here that I've heard, so I'm looking forward to trying out a lot of these artists.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • bump
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
    Ok, I had to cut a song off so I cut Seven Nation Army which I had already heard. So here I go.

1. Dears - I have their Protest EP and I found it interesting. After listening to Autonomy, I need to dive further. I REALLY like the bass in this and how they utilize thier instruments. They create a nice mood. I can't however decide if the vocalist blows ass or not. Regardless he makes it work. So, any Dears full album recommendation by anybody reading this, feel free.

2. Malachi Constant - not too bad. I can't think of anything overly memorable to say however if they were playing down the street for $10.00, I'm there.

3. The Pony's - If Interpol and Sleater-Kinney had a baby, this is how it would sound. Being that I love both bands, fuck yeah, I like this. I like the vocal intensity. I mean, this song is great.

4. Tomorrow - Catchy as hell. This song could easily have been written in the 60's. Has a great retro sound to it.

5. Caribou - could be my favorite song off the mix. It puts me in a serious groove. Love the rhythm section.

6. Piano Magic - take it or leave it. Regardless this song fits perfectly on your mix.

7. Hrsta - see Piano Magic

8. Stone Gossard - well, I like it.....not sure why I have never bothered with his CD. No explanation for it really. Though I will not purchase it new, I would hit the Used section for sure and pick this up. This would be a cool find one day.

9. Mogwai - I do have this. Love 'em plenty.

10. Gus - I dig the hell out of Don't Fear the Reaper. Love it. I will never turn this song off the radio when it comes on. that being said, I still like this acoustic rendition. I would love to hear him play this in a bar. Do you have his CD? Does he have a full length? Very cool cover.

11. Spoon - I have this song as well. Every time I make a mix, there is always a song or two that I look back on and wonder if it fits the overall tone of the mix. I think I would feel this way regarding this song. Before this song, I was very impressed how you were able to maintain the mood throughout. Once this song hit, it threw me off for a second or two. This has nothing to do with the tune itself which is great. I think Spoon is just a cool ass band.

12. Bright Eyes - I feel the same regarding this as I do the Spoon song however both these songs together fit nicely. I don't have this release however I may have to seek it out. Quirky and I like it.

13. The Good Life - It drives me crazy because I can't place who they sound like. This song I liked right off the bat. Band name sure sucks though don't it?

14. Sigur Ros - I skipped () because i was not all that enthralled with their previous release. Maybe I just got sick of hearing about them. This track may suck me back in. I don't think it is possible to play them during the day. Just doesn't work well for me. Again, another disc I wouldn't hesitate to pick up if it was 6.99 in the Used bin. Beautiful track.

15. Black Heart Procession - this group was actually an old SMC band. That is how I first heard them. I should check this disc out. I have their newest one which I like quite a bit.

So yeah, obviously I liked your mix. I got to listen to it while on a good 1 1/2 hour drive up the mountain and back again in the pitch black. I love mixes and so far not one SMC member has disappointed in this department. Cheers.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    transplant wrote:
    Ok, I had to cut a song off so I cut Seven Nation Army which I had already heard. So here I go.

1. Dears - I have their Protest EP and I found it interesting. After listening to Autonomy, I need to dive further. I REALLY like the bass in this and how they utilize thier instruments. They create a nice mood. I can't however decide if the vocalist blows ass or not. Regardless he makes it work. So, any Dears full album recommendation by anybody reading this, feel free.
    quote]

The Dears are one of my favourite bands....I would recommend their album "No Cities Left" or their brand new album "Gang Of Losers". You can't go wrong with either choice....beautiful, epic, theatrical, complex, passionate (as long as you can get past the obvious Morrisey vocal influence)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Sorry about the timing issues. Like I said, I was being told the disc was 80:36 which I knew was not correct because I edited some of the mp3s I used to fit. Lo and behold, I put it in another player of mine and I got 80:11. I use Roxio to burn, and it allows overburns, so it wasn't a problem. Sorry to those of you that it was.
    Echoes wrote:
    The Calendar Hung Itself?

if that was the only song I had ever heard from Bright Eyes I would hate him.

I'm not a huge Oberst fan- I have three albums and I like maybe half of the material on them- but this song grabbed me musically right away when I first heard it. Lyrically, I can't name a single line off the top of my head right now. So if it's the lyrics you hate (which many seem to do), then sorry. But musically I think it's fantastic.
    transplant wrote:
    1. Dears - I can't however decide if the vocalist blows ass or not.

Yeah, his vocals are the one fault of the song. More often than not I cringe at the part where he screams off key.

The Pony's - If Interpol and Sleater-Kinney had a baby, this is how it would sound. Being that I love both bands, fuck yeah, I like this. I like the vocal intensity. I mean, this song is great.

A thing to mention- they split vocals in the band, and most are by one of the guys in the band, so if you seek out their albums, don't expect the chick to be singing all the time.

4. Tomorrow - Catchy as hell. This song could easily have been written in the 60's. Has a great retro sound to it.

That's because it WAS recorded in the sixties. Tomorrow is a band that was active during the Psychedelic scene in Britain in the 60's. If you like Piper at the Gates of Dawn, you'd like the album, creatively titled 'Tomorrow'. I maybe like this better than Piper, actually, and I'm a die hard Floyd fan.

Gus - I dig the hell out of Don't Fear the Reaper. Do you have his CD? Does he have a full length? Very cool cover.

This song is from the Scream soundtrack, and it is all I have ever heard from Gus. But I remember being so enthralled with it when I saw it in the movie the first time- it is the reason I went and bought the soundtrack. The scene in the film where you hear it is when Neve Campbell's character and her skeezy boyfriend are doing it for the first time. When the movie plays out, you realize how well it fits right there.

11. Spoon - I have this song as well. Every time I make a mix, there is always a song or two that I look back on and wonder if it fits the overall tone of the mix.

Well, after a few songs that were mellower, I wanted a quick pick me up to break the monotony, and this fit the bill. I felt the first half was sort of a roller coaster- up and down and up and then down for a while- so I wanted the listener to feel a bit of a jolt. Does it work here... maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure I'm convinced. Depends on the listener, obviously.

13. The Good Life - Band name sure sucks though don't it?

The album it's from is called 'Album of the Year'. So I don't know which one is worse- the band name or the album. Thankfully both transcend their names and deliver worthwhile material.

14. Sigur Ros - I skipped () because i was not all that enthralled with their previous release. Maybe I just got sick of hearing about them. This track may suck me back in.

I think this is their best piece of music, hands down. Nothing comes close. The more you listen to it, the more you are in tune in to how it builds and builds. Even at its louder moments, it's still building. When that final climax hits, it's absolutely fucking amazing. I've heard it hundreds of times, and I still get chills.
    AndySlash wrote:
    Yeah, his vocals are the one fault of the song. More often than not I cringe at the part where he screams off key.
    yup, that part.
    AndySlash wrote:
    That's because it WAS recorded in the sixties.
    well that makes some sense then :) nice find.
    AndySlash wrote:
    Well, after a few songs that were mellower, I wanted a quick pick me up to break the monotony, and this fit the bill. I felt the first half was sort of a roller coaster- up and down and up and then down for a while- so I wanted the listener to feel a bit of a jolt. Does it work here... maybe, maybe not.
    I'd say yes, it worked perfectly as you intended. nicely done.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Autonomy (live) - Never heard The Dears before...the longer it goes the better it gets...nice way to start the album.

The Spice of Life - Quite an ok song...like the trippy part in the end.

She's broken - First thing to spring to my mind was Sleater-Kinney and looks like I'm not the only to think so.

Now your time has come - Very Beatles and early Floyd...liked it a lot.

Bees - With some hyper-active vocals this could sound like Broken SOcial Scene.

Already Ghosts - Liked it at first but it didn't hold my attention on repeated listening.

Lucy's Sad - Reminded me of Nico during her later years...kinda gothic.

Bayleaf - The guitars have that Neil Young tone...and Stone seems to be singing from his nose but I like it. Maybe I'll listen to his solo album after all.

Seven Nation Army - I can;t stand this song.

Dial : Revenge - I've never checked out Mogwai...I was expecting it to be really drawn out and epic post-rock song. I liked it more on further listens...its a bit melancholy.

Don't Fear The Reaper - Fine cover but I do miss the recurring riff and throbbing bass of the original.

Car Radio - Eh...standard indie rock stuff.

The Calendar Hung Itself - Sorry I couldn't listen to this more than once...I just can't stand Conor OBerst's voice...to me it sounds like he tries too hard.

Album of the year - Hmm...this song didn't do much for me.

Untitled 8 (The Pop Song) - One of my favourite Sigur Ros songs...I love how it closes out ( ).

Till We Have To Say Goodbye - Its too dead and slow and especially coming after The Pop Song which is so dramatic at the end...this song didn't quite fit.

All in all...quite a fine mix. I'd like to hear more of The Dears, Tomorrow, Mogwai and try to find Stone's album in India. :)
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    *cough* last day before the next pick.
    viggs20 wrote:
    Till We Have To Say Goodbye - Its too dead and slow and especially coming after The Pop Song which is so dramatic at the end...this song didn't quite fit.

Aww.

I liked putting something really quiet after the intense conclusion of the Pop Song.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I've listened a couple times but it's been a day or so since the last time I listened so I can't really remember what I liked and which artists I liked. I'll be posting a review soon......
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE