R.E.M. is up to something....

AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
edited March 2007 in Other Music
R.E.M. SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!

Dear Fan Club Members,

Please stay tuned to your email for a very special announcement from R.E.M. HQ around this same time tomorrow.

You are probably wondering what the surprise is: well, all we can say right now is: stay tuned tomorrow and you will find out at the same time as your fellow fan club members. Some of you will be particularly happy.

SO...PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL TOMORROW!

Thanks,

Everyone at R.E.M. HQ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    oooooh, that seems quite interesting. What is their fan club like? I've always thought of joining.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    More timely with their newsletters and holiday singles as well as more forthright about communication about news/events than the 10C, but a bit less personal, if that makes sense. And still only 10 bucks.
    AndySlash wrote:
    More timely with their newsletters and holiday singles as well as more forthright about communication about news/events than the 10C, but a bit less personal, if that makes sense. And still only 10 bucks.

That isn't too bad at all. Any rumors flying around as to what the surprise will be?
    The UK tour site where Euros purchased tix for the 04/05 tours is now password protected again, so some are speculating it's a(nother) Euro tour, but most are at least thinking it is some sort of tour.

I forgot to say, the fan club does give fans preferential tix, but they're not done in any sort of seniority. At least that's how it was in 04 when I went to a show. First come first served, basically, through a web outlet.
    I just signed in hopes of it being some sort of tour in America. $10 isn't bad at all
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    Ooh, I hope it's a tour. Can you explain a little more about how they do the fanclub ticketing? Is it like a presale?
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    Yeah, presale before general public tix. When I ordered mine for the Winnipeg show back in 04, it was through some website they had set up (not ticketbastard). But you knew what tickets you had when you put them in your cart and stuff, unlike the 10C ordering process. So they don't sort tickets like the 10C, it's first come first served, but as a member you do get first dibs on them. I managed to get second row for that show, which was pretty much the most awesome seats I've ever had for a band of that stature.
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Euro tour please!!!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

AndySlash wrote:
    Yeah, presale before general public tix. When I ordered mine for the Winnipeg show back in 04, it was through some website they had set up (not ticketbastard). But you knew what tickets you had when you put them in your cart and stuff, unlike the 10C ordering process. So they don't sort tickets like the 10C, it's first come first served, but as a member you do get first dibs on them. I managed to get second row for that show, which was pretty much the most awesome seats I've ever had for a band of that stature.
    Wow. That's good to know, thanks. I just joined the fanclub. $10 is a steal!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    You people just now signing up- if they don't announce a show wherever you are, don't kill the messenger!
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Seriously, if they tour and don't play some dates in the US... I will be mildly pissed.

Not so much at R.E.M. but more at the fact that they can't sell out shows in freaking Georgia anymore.

My honest guess though, is that it is Euro festival appearances.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    Well, it's a bit disappointing.

R.E.M. TO PLAY FIVE NIGHTS IN DUBLIN!

Dear R.E.M. Fan Club Member,

We are very pleased to announce that R.E.M. will perform a Live Rehearsal at the famous Olympia Theatre in Dublin, Ireland, on the following FIVE nights this summer:

June 30th
    July 1st
    July 3rd
    July 4th
    July 5th

As previously announced on remhq.com, R.E.M. begins work on their next record later this spring with producer Jacknife Lee who has produced records for U2, Snow Patrol, and Bloc Party.

The five shows in Dublin will showcase songs from these spring recording sessions and, as such, will be a rare opportunity to hear songs before they are released on record. The Olympia dates are the only scheduled shows for R.E.M. in 2007.
    Hm.

Well, okay...anybody want to go to Dublin? ;)
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I would be going...but I spent all my money on Pearl Jam for this summer.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    On the bright side... the last time they wrote material and worked on it in a live setting, it yielded their best album ever... New Adventures in Hifi.

Also, the last record sounded way better in a live setting. So maybe this will make the new material not suck.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I would go to a 5-night run if it were a career-spanning show, but if its focusing on the new stuff, I can't convince myself to go to Ireland from Los Angeles.
    On the bright side... the last time they wrote material and worked on it in a live setting, it yielded their best album ever... New Adventures in Hifi.

Also, the last record sounded way better in a live setting. So maybe this will make the new material not suck.

So true! Gotta love New adventures.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I'm not really a huge REM fan but i was kind of excited to see what the big announcement was going to be (Bill Berry and new record was my guess)

Kind of a let down huh?

Rehearsal must mean shows to be announced soon though, i would assume
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    I'm not really a huge REM fan but i was kind of excited to see what the big announcement was going to be (Bill Berry and new record was my guess)

Kind of a let down huh?

Rehearsal must mean shows to be announced soon though, i would assume

These are the only REM shows scheduled for this year.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    they need to open up the vaults and release full audio soundboards from their 1985-1986 tour..

This was REM at its best IMO..

Now that would be something special..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483

I agree re: New Adventures......the fact that I heard the songs live first, listening to the cd really brings me back to that chapter of my life.

Because of that, I always wait to buy new radiohead cds until after I see them perform them live.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fucholy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck K Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
    Please tell me you can get tickets if you're not in the fan club :(

Dublin 08/06
    Apparently the general public tix go on sale tomorrow morning:

We are pleased to give you an early opportunity to purchase tickets before they go on sale to the general public at the Olympia Box Office tomorrow morning at 9:00AM.*

*Box office tickets are subject to the same ticketing structure as on-line tickets.

Tickets purchased from the box office will be face value (€50). They are not subject to booking fees. Cash purchase only.

So, I'm not sure if that means you have to actually buy them at the box office or not.
    Here's a link

http://remtickets.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DisplayItems.html

I never had to give any details about my fan club info, so maybe you can get them without it...
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Binaural wrote:
    Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fucholy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck K Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh heh..you're totally in Ireland!!!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    Heh heh..you're totally in Ireland!!!
    Yup lol :D

Dublin 08/06
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Binaural wrote:

ha ha
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    AndySlash wrote:
    R.E.M. SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!

Dear Fan Club Members,

Please stay tuned to your email for a very special announcement from R.E.M. HQ around this same time tomorrow.

You are probably wondering what the surprise is: well, all we can say right now is: stay tuned tomorrow and you will find out at the same time as your fellow fan club members. Some of you will be particularly happy.

SO...PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL TOMORROW!

Thanks,

Everyone at R.E.M. HQ

Wait a minute... you posted the same thing Nethporia!!!!
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
    Wait a minute... you posted the same thing Nethporia!!!!

You're a quick one.