Led Zeppelin reunion - Page hints at new material

Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
edited October 2007 in Other Music
http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/2007/10/16/4581146-torsun.html

interesting read, although i'm sure Plant will come out in the next week and rule it out!
"...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If a world tour came from this I would be shocked but I'm still hoping because that would be an absolutely great night.
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Led Zeppelin vows great reunion, unlike past flops
    633 words
    17 October 2007
    07:33
    Reuters News
    English
    (c) 2007 Reuters Limited

By Mike Collett-White

LONDON, Oct 17 (Reuters Life!) - British rock legends Led Zeppelin have performed only a handful of times since splitting in 1980 after the shock death of drummer John Bonham, and by their own admission each occasion was a "shambles".

A reunion concert on Nov. 26 offers the surviving members of one of pop music's most successful and influential acts an opportunity to remind the world what they can do. Bass guitarist John Paul Jones and guitarist Jimmy Page said they, together with singer Robert Plant and Bonham's son Jason, got together for a secret session earlier this year to determine whether they should go ahead with the London gig.

"It sounded like we've played this every night for the last three weeks," Jones, 61, said. "If that's the starting point, this is going to be great.

"I want not just to be able to play it and play it well, I want to be able to give a really good performance."

The silver-haired Page, 63, added: "The fact is that to actually be able to play and make this thing pulse, as it sort of did straight away on the first day we got together, that's really something to look forward to in every respect."

A far cry from the rock'n'roll hellraisers of their 1970s heyday, the softly-spoken musicians sought to play down the hype surrounding their reunion.

They also sidestepped questions about whether the show, a charity tribute to Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun who died last year, was a stepping stone to a full comeback tour.

"We're just concentrating on this show," Jones said.

When the concert was announced in September, the ticket Web site crashed several times as millions of fans scrambled for tickets, testament to the lasting appeal of the music.

The creators of hits like "Stairway to Heaven", "Whole Lotta Love", "Communication Breakdown" and "Kashmir" shot to superstardom shortly after forming in 1968, and went on to sell an estimated 300 million albums.

"I suppose the scale of (the reaction) has been somewhat overwhelming," Jones said.

DIGITAL OUTREACH

In addition to the concert, where Led Zeppelin plan to play a 90-minute set, the band recently announced it would release its music online for the first time next month and has entered into a mobile phone deal.

Asked why Led Zeppelin was one of the last "supergroups" to release its catalogue digitally, Page replied: "I think we were too busy to think about it. The time was right."

Reflecting on the way the Internet has revolutionised music since the 1970s, Jones said record labels had missed a golden opportunity to harness new technology.

"I think the record companies...just dragged their feet and wasted so much time, energy and money going down a prohibition-type alley where they could have...put all this effort into finding new business models and been at the spearhead of revolution themselves."

Jones said he was braced for inevitable media interest in longstanding reports of a rift between himself and Plant.

"I was probably reluctant to do this for that same reason -- it's all going to start again," he said. "It's got nothing to do with the music. The music is what it was all about."

Page recalled an interview he gave to promote a solo album in which the journalist asked repeated questions on what Plant had reportedly said about other band members.

"After about the sixth time, I said: 'Could you tell Robert to shut up so I can get on with my own interview?' We haven't just had a few months of this. This has been years."
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    In the end Plant will be a dick and a reunion tour won't happen. I say Page and Jones sack Plant, and try and get somebody like Chris Robimson or Axl Rose to come sing with them. Plant and his shitty lyrics about Lord of the Rings was always the worst thing about Zeppelin anyway.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Every day I can feel it in my bones that they are closer to announcing a tour.

Page has always been about a reunion. He hinted about a reunion, when the live cd and dvd were released a few years ago.

Now that they have made up with JPJ again it seems he wants to rock again, showing up at bonaroo and jammin some Zep with Ben Harper, and , if I am not mistaking, playin several if not every song with govt mule.

I have said thist tons, but they should get somebody that worships at the feet of Bonzo, but I suppose at least it will be 7/8 Zep.

Now there's Planty. He has a very vague way of saying things. Always has in interviews. He has made a complete denial, but I think its just a safety net, if the reunion show sucks bag. He has more to lose, and the least to gain, right now, but no matter what he says, when he looks over his left shoulder and sees Pagey, his face lights up.

This is prolly the absolute last chance, plus they are rereleasing TSRTS and their goin digital. I was 50/50 to start, but I up to 80/20.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    In the end Plant will be a dick and a reunion tour won't happen. I say Page and Jones sack Plant, and try and get somebody like Chris Robimson or Axl Rose to come sing with them. Plant and his shitty lyrics about Lord of the Rings was always the worst thing about Zeppelin anyway.

I would just like to say that Axl Rose appearing onstage as part of Led Zeppelin and infecting their music with his revolting yelping would be just about the only thing that would wreck my memories of seeing them in their prime.

Plant was certainly no poet, but then lyrics were never really the point with Zeppelin, were they?
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
    I would just like to say that Axl Rose appearing onstage as part of Led Zeppelin and infecting their music with his revolting yelping would be just about the only thing that would wreck my memories of seeing them in their prime.

Plant was certainly no poet, but then lyrics were never really the point with Zeppelin, were they?

No shit. How bout givin the guy credit for helping to create the rock and roll front man persona, and helpin make some kickass music, in the process. Don't forget, with writing lyrics, come writing vocal melodies, and Plant was and still is a genius at that.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430

He's no Bob Dylan but Stairway has pretty solid lyrics, as does Goin' to Claifornia, Kashmir, and a handful of others.
  • To get myself over the realisation that I'm unlikely to be attending the renunion concert, I've decided that if the band thinks it works it won't be a one off. If they don't it will be. So if the reformed Led Zeppelin is worth seeing, I should be in with a chance of seeing them. The logic works in my head some how.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    No shit. How bout givin the guy credit for helping to create the rock and roll front man persona, and helpin make some kickass music, in the process. Don't forget, with writing lyrics, come writing vocal melodies, and Plant was and still is a genius at that.

Indeed. I've always been a huge Plant fan despite not liking his lyrics all that much. It was actually Axl Rose I was being rude about. ;)
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • Matty Boy wrote:

There is nothing wrong with that, come on look where he is from. In the sixties just imagine how his mind expanded.
    Indeed. I've always been a huge Plant fan despite not liking his lyrics all that much. It was actually Axl Rose I was being rude about. ;)

Axl's a far better singer, frontman, and songwriter than Robert Plant is.

Oh, I know. I was backin you up, and pointin out that the musical aspect of Plant's job was covered 10fold, but sometimes, mainly early on, his lyrics werent up to snuff with what they were doin musically.
    Matty Boy wrote:

Let's see, less range, inconsistent as fuck, took forever to record his parts. I dunno how that makes him a better singer. And like em or not, but there are 3 front men that can never be topped. Jagger, Daltrey, or Plant invented every front man move.

Lyrically, itsa closer race, but alotta GnR lyrics are seriously cheesy, even on some seriously kickass songs.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    It all depends on how the show goes

if it goes really well the offers will pour in

if the guys are happy with the performance, the tour might happen

keeping my fingers crossed althought Im certain this would be the first $500 (not counting barbara) ticket should they tour and for that I would probably pass
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Matty Boy wrote:

I am sure Coverdale would be right there if they sacked Plant.

What happened to the rumours that Page's hands were so bad he couldn't even play a whole set nowadays? Or did he cut another deal with the Devil? ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing them if they did the complete tour. But if I didn't get tix fair and square, I sure wouldn't be paying through the nose for em.

On the Zep radio play. Does anybody ever hear anything on their local station off of Presence? There is a station here in Toronto and they are coined by some people as "Q1O- Zeppelin" and even they don't play anything off of that album.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Matty Boy wrote:

Opinions are opinions, but that's just down right pushing it!!!
    even flow? wrote:

What happened to the rumours that Page's hands were so bad he couldn't even play a whole set nowadays? Or did he cut another deal with the Devil? ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing them if they did the complete tour. But if I didn't get tix fair and square, I sure wouldn't be paying through the nose for em.

On the Zep radio play. Does anybody ever hear anything on their local station off of Presence? There is a station here in Toronto and they are coined by some people as "Q1O- Zeppelin" and even they don't play anything off of that album.

I think Coverdale and Page had a falling out.

It's Page's back, not his hands. I know b/c I was a victim of it, yes he prolly cut another deal with the devil. Esp if the reunion follows.

Presence? Once in awhile KSHE plays Nobody's Fault......, how bout some ALS, Tea For One, For Your Life, mm mm mm, tasty licks.
  • Matty Boy wrote:

I love Axl but this is a bit much.

Axl doesn't have close to the range of Plant, they are equal frontman and Page-Plant are one of the best songwriting duos of all time.

Sure Plant's solo CD's have been mediocre, but Axl's solo CD has taken 13 years to make.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • You can't have Zep without Plant. I'm not sure you can have Zep without Bonzo, for that matter.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I love Axl but this is a bit much.

Axl doesn't have close to the range of Plant, they are equal frontman and Page-Plant are one of the best songwriting duos of all time.

Sure Plant's solo CD's have been mediocre, but Axl's solo CD has taken 13 years to make.

Plant's last few solo cd's were much better than mediocre. I love GnR, but Axl doesn't hold a candle to Plant.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Matty Boy wrote:

Man, I rarely post but this has to be not only the post of the year but possibly the most hilarious post of all time in any message pit anywhere.

Sadly, I don't think you were trying to be funny...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    Axl's a reclusive asshole but even at the age of 45 he's still a better frontman than Plant ever was. AFD is still better than any Zeppelin album also.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qMOvq_JzlNI
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=IsdReVvj_7U
    even flow? wrote:

The local station here plays everyting in their entire catalouge.
    Matty Boy wrote:

Axl Rose is a horrible horrible singer. It sounds like someone is stepping on his balls.
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    ii44 wrote:
    Axl Rose is a horrible horrible singer. It sounds like someone is stepping on his balls.

Sounds like a circular saw cutting through plywood. Axl and Corrin Tucker should do a duet of Fortunate Son. I think birds would fall out of the sky.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
    Matty Boy wrote:
    AFD is still better than any Zeppelin album also.

Appetite is a great album, but they don't cover much musical ground. The UYI albums are better and still aren't in the same league as most Zeppelin albums.
  • Sounds like a circular saw cutting through plywood. Axl and Corrin Tucker should do a duet of Fortunate Son. I think birds would fall out of the sky.

Haha, true.