Pisces Iscariot - Smashing Pumpkins

Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
edited May 2008 in Other Music
whats the deal with this, is it a proper album or a collection of b-sides or what? you can probably tell i'm not a big pumpkins fan, just got this album and giving it a listen for the first time, some nice mellow stuff on it. any particular favourites anyone?
"...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    It's b-sides and unreleased shit like Nirvana's "Incesticide".
  • stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    Good cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" on this album.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    This is a awesome compilation. Mixture of outtakes and such from Gish and Siamese Dream. If you enjoy this seek out The Aeroplane Flies High. That is Mellon Collie's counterpart and just as amazing as Pisces. Anything by the Pumpkins up to (and including) Adore is excellent and inspiring. Not so much afterwards though.
  • chittychitty Posts: 609
    I always like Blue from this album
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Cool, thanks for the info :)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I like Pisces as much as any other Pumpkins disc, if not more. There are absolute gems on this b-sides collection: Starla (!!!), Obscured, Frail & Bedazzled, Hello Kitty Kat, La Dolly Vita....etc etc etc. It's incredible. Much like Lost Dogs; it is amazing how these are the throw-aways.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    edved82 wrote:
    whats the deal with this, is it a proper album or a collection of b-sides or what? you can probably tell i'm not a big pumpkins fan, just got this album and giving it a listen for the first time, some nice mellow stuff on it. any particular favourites anyone?

Its a collection of B-Sides,

Some of my favorites:

Frail and Bedazzled
    Hello Kitty Kat
    Whir
    Starla
    Pissant
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Whir is one of my Smashing Pumpkins song and one of my favourite songs ever
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
    Crazy...I literally JUST bought this album like 2 days ago!

I am loving it...Obscured is phenomenal. Hell, they're all good.

Pumpkins fans...someone please tell me...

I have Gish, Siamese, Pisces & Mellon Collie. I like them all.

So is it worth it to get the rest...Adore, Machina and Zeitgeist? I ask because it seems the latter albums are different and much more removed from early Pumpkins stuff.

Thanks for any responses.

So is it worth it to get the rest...Adore, Machina and Zeitgeist? I ask because it seems the latter albums are different and much more removed from early Pumpkins stuff.

Bump! Anyone? Please.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    sure, why not.

I would get Adore first, Machina 2nd and Zeitgeist 3rd.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    bump...

surely there are some smashing pumpkins fans here on this smashing pumpkins thread who have more to say about adore, machina and zeitgeist than, "sure, why not."
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    First of, I want to say that the Pumpkins output through the first half of the 90's was remarkable. Singles typically had 4 or 5 album-quality b-sides.

They really lost me with the release of Adore. I tried to give it some play, but I felt they had lost their magic by then. I still give fairly heavy play to Gish, and Siamese Dream, and some to Pisces, and Mellon Collie, but as for the others, I barely acknowledge them.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    Adore is an amazing album but if you're expecting Gish/SD/Pisces/MC&IS then you'll most likely be very disappointed as it is a big departure from their past work...its just one of those albums you have to let play all the way through and may take a couple listens to really sink in....dark, mellow, just...great

but really if you're looking for something closer to the pre-adore pumpkins sound then get The Aeroplane Flies High boxset, lots of b-sides from the mellon collie era, pretty amazing stuff

as for Machina I & II, awesome stuff on both (stand inside your love, sacred and profane, try try try, dross, etc.) kinda like a harder edged adore sound...they have their weaker moments but still way better overall than...

Zeitgeist, the only pumpkins album i don't own...its...ok, definitely worse music out there but a huge let down from the rest of their work...best song "zeitgeist" wasnt even really on the album..tarantula and doomsday clock are alright but nothing spectacular, as you can probably tell its my least fav pumpkins album by far but i'll still pick it up one day just to add to the collection

so basically id rank these:
    1. Adore
    2.The Aeroplane Flies High
    3.Machina I & II
    4.Zeitgeist (meh, if you want, not really missing much imo)

and honestly i suck when it comes to reviews, its always so much easier to just play the albums for people
    thanks, how do you get machina II ?
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    it was released on the net for free, you can download it from their website

http://smashingpumpkins.com/audio_upload/audio/machinaii/
  • FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Crazy...I literally JUST bought this album like 2 days ago!

I am loving it...Obscured is phenomenal. Hell, they're all good.

I'm not a die-hard by any stretch, but i'm a fan that's seen them live and have all the albums.

I'd personally stop where you are...i didn't like those last 3 albums much at all...particularly the last 2.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.