Robert Plant says no to Led Zeppelin tour

Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Robert Plant has turned down an extra £100million fortune to take Led Zeppelin on a world tour.

The rock legend wants to concentrate on his new partnership with US country singer Alison Krauss... spelling the likely end of the famous band.

Led Zep fans had been longing for a tour announcement since last year - when the 1970s superstars reformed for a one-off show at London's O2 Arena.

Surviving members Plant, Robert Page and John Paul Jones were offered a guaranteed £100m each for a tour of North America and Europe after a million fans applied for O2 tickets.

But after extensive talks Led Zep - best known for the song Stairway To Heaven - decided against the moneymaking opportunity.

Guitarist Jimmy Page, 64, was keen to do the tour this year and was backed by bass player John Paul, 62.

But singer Plant, 59 - already worth an estimated £70million - wants to concentrate on his new success with US country singer Krauss. The pair's duet album Raising Sand went to No 2 in America and Britain and they are starting their own tour in April.

A band source said: "Despite the enormous offer, the decision did not come down to money. They always said they would do the one-off show and then see how they felt.

"Jimmy had enjoyed the concert in December enough to want to tour. He argued they still had something to offer. He likes the idea of another chapter in the band - the grown-up tour.

"John sided with Jimmy. He loved making music with the others again.

"But Robert wanted to leave last year's concert as their legacy. They had proved they could still do it and that was enough.

"He has other commitments and is happier looking forward to those. Robert put the mockers on the tour."
"...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    interesting. wise choice most probably.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    This shows what we have noticed the last 10 years or so.. Page was always interested in reforming but Plant always shunned the idea because of his solo stuff. I respect plant for this decision because 110 million ofocurse would have been hard to turn down but if it was just about money I knew plant wasn't that type of person. He said recently he wants to focus on his modern present music and leave the Zeppelin legacy alone. Jimmy Page should just leave it. In saying that can't wait for the 02 arena dvd is it ever comes out.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    glasshouse wrote:

yeah. i was at the gig in london and they were so good i thought they might want to do a few gigs here and there rather than a tour - but it seems not. it'd still be cool to see page and jones do something together, although NOT under the name Led Zeppelin if Robert isnt going to be involved.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    edved82 wrote:

Surviving members... Robert Page
    Can we trust a writer who says this?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • toolbag.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • ozsmalltowngirlozsmalltowngirl Posts: 14,362
    [size=+4]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!![/size]:eek: :(
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edved82 wrote:
    Robert Plant has turned down an extra £100million fortune to take Led Zeppelin on a world tour.

The rock legend wants to concentrate on his new partnership with US country singer Alison Krauss... spelling the likely end of the famous band.

Led Zep fans had been longing for a tour announcement since last year - when the 1970s superstars reformed for a one-off show at London's O2 Arena.

Surviving members Plant, Robert Page and John Paul Jones were offered a guaranteed £100m each for a tour of North America and Europe after a million fans applied for O2 tickets.

But after extensive talks Led Zep - best known for the song Stairway To Heaven - decided against the moneymaking opportunity.

Guitarist Jimmy Page, 64, was keen to do the tour this year and was backed by bass player John Paul, 62.

But singer Plant, 59 - already worth an estimated £70million - wants to concentrate on his new success with US country singer Krauss. The pair's duet album Raising Sand went to No 2 in America and Britain and they are starting their own tour in April.

A band source said: "Despite the enormous offer, the decision did not come down to money. They always said they would do the one-off show and then see how they felt.

"Jimmy had enjoyed the concert in December enough to want to tour. He argued they still had something to offer. He likes the idea of another chapter in the band - the grown-up tour.

"But Robert wanted to leave last year's concert as their legacy. They had proved they could still do it and that was enough.

"He has other commitments and is happier looking forward to those. Robert put the mockers on the tour."

what a pussy
    Poncier wrote:

haha i never noticed that, what a douchebag!!

the substance of the story seems pretty genuine tho. ah well, its probably for the best
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    When will Mr. Plant decide do a Led Zep tour? at his 70's with an wheelchair?
    Whe had listened your solo work for about 25 years, isn't enough?
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Poncier wrote:

I was going to ask the same thing.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I think its best that they don't tour. Leave the legacy where its at rather then being one of the millions of bands reforming for some sort of retierment fund. On the flip side if they tour i am SO gonna be there....
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I have given this 'reunion' a lot of serious thought...along with the recent Genesis reunion and the possibility of Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett rejoining the others...

I am currently a youth minister and have been for over 8 years. I am moving to my own church in June, where I will be the pastor. If, 20 years down the road, someone asked me to spend 1-2 years as a youth minister in the church where I'm currently at, I would turn it down flat. In 20 years, I will have completely moved on and youth ministry will no longer appeal to me.

Now, I know that this comparison doesn't work on many levels, I'm not going to be offered millions of dollars to resume youth ministry work and I'm not famous based on the work that I've done in this church.

BUT, Peter Gabriel mentioned something a few years back referring to a possible reunion. He said that Genesis represented a period in his life that was good, but it's over. Following Plant over the past few years, I'm sure that he feels pretty much the same way. There respective places in popular music history are quite secure (Plant moreso that Gabriel, I imagine) and they have no need to prove anything to anyone. The prospect of a massive world tour singing songs that they wrote as 20-year-olds is probably not extremely appealing when both Plant and Gabriel both have had great solo careers.

Just some thoughts from a HUGE Zep and Genesis fan...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,273
    i have to respect this man for walking away from the $$$ it's about the music, and for them to have done that last show & walk away into the sunset is for the best i trust hi's judgment better than people on here calling the man names for not wanting to do another tour .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I feel kinda bad for those who haven't seen them but I was at the O2 Arena and it would ruin how special that gig was. They were easily good enough to tour though.
  • yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
    First off I'm glad then didn't do it for the money. I tried of paying out of this world prices for a " retrirement tour" and a few years later they do a world tour see the Eagles, Ozzy, and now Tom Petty. I wasn't that into a Led Zep reuion untill I heard Dazed and Confused and that sold me. I'm still saving some vacation for 2008 just incase they do any more shows. Remember money is the root of all evil. Later Yostarama
    I feel kinda bad for those who haven't seen them but I was at the O2 Arena and it would ruin how special that gig was. They were easily good enough to tour though.

Yeah mate, i was there too, it wouldnt ruin it for me if they toured but it will make it all the more special for me if that was the last ever Led Zeppelin show. Something to tell the grandkids!

I'm hoping to hear something from Jimmy anyway though, he was great at the O2 show. He's too good just to go into retirement.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Just buy raising sand and be done with it... killer of an album. Hope this brings the end to rumours of a full reunion tour I think plant wants to move on like he has and stay there.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    edved82 wrote:

Gutted!
    Zoso wrote:
    Just buy raising sand and be done with it... killer of an album. Hope this brings the end to rumours of a full reunion tour I think plant wants to move on like he has and stay there.

Unfortunately it wont put an end to it at all - the only thing that would do that would be Plant coming out and saying "I will never tour with Led Zeppelin". He's had 28 years to do this, and hasnt yet, so I doubt if he will do it now!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    personally, I don't want a Zeppelin tour. here's why: What if I couldn't get tickets? what if they sold out MSG too fast and I couldn't get in? To know that Led Zeppelin was playing and hour and half away from my house and not being able to see it would be enough for me to throw myself out the window.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    edved82 wrote:

nice to see that it's not always about money...good on robert!

besides that page and plant tour was good enough for me.

i heard a recording of that recent london reunion show and i'll be honest i wasn't that impressed...perhaps it was the drumming...and/or perhaps it was the fact that i was listening to it dreading the announcement of a tour one in which it would be all about BIG money
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    glasshouse wrote:

agreed
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel