Thoughts on the new Alice In Chains?

2»

Comments

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    alice with out layne. thats what they should have called this "new" band as far as im concerned.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tonadax wrote:
    there´s not AIC without LAyney Stanley
    when a band lost one their members especially their vocalist , stop playing as a band it´s the right desicion....... many bands had done that..

led zeppelin lost jason bonham- they stopped
    nirvana lost kurt cobain- they stoped
    joy division lost ian curtis- they stoped

Cantrell can do what dave grhol or joy division members did, formed a new band with a new name.....

um... that would be led zeppelin lost john bonham. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    tonadax wrote:
    there´s not AIC without LAyney Stanley
    when a band lost one their members especially their vocalist , stop playing as a band it´s the right desicion....... many bands had done that..

led zeppelin lost jason bonham- they stopped
    nirvana lost kurt cobain- they stoped
    joy division lost ian curtis- they stoped

Cantrell can do what dave grhol or joy division members did, formed a new band with a new name.....

AC/DC lost Bon Scott.....and they went on to make one of the most successful albums of all time...
    The Stones lost a Brian Jones face down in a pool....good thing for us they didn't stop or we would not have a lot of the music they went on to make...

point is, the only ones who can make the decisions are the remaining band members, and there is nothing that says they cannot be successful if they continue to make music together.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    AC/DC lost Bon Scott.....and they went on to make one of the most successful albums of all time...
    The Stones lost a Brian Jones face down in a pool....good thing for us they didn't stop or we would not have a lot of the music they went on to make...

point is, the only ones who can make the decisions are the remaining band members, and there is nothing that says they cannot be successful if they continue to make music together.

Amen. I really am done with this subject, people can still cling on to their copy of Dirt and refuse to move on, that's fine - al I know is that the show I went to a few weeks ago was mind-blowing stuff, the energy and emotion in that room was incredible, and it definitely ranks in my top 5 gigs of all time, and since I've been going to gigs for 11 years, that is quite a few shows.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    A band is not about one person.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    in ac dc case, when their first singer died, i think they just released 2 albums as a band, it´s not the same situation with AIC a band who release many albums,box sets,live and an unplugged, i suggest to keep the aic idea intact....

or would you like to see pearl jam, new soundgarden with another singer, i don´t think so....
  • you fuckers have to have this and that perfect about music to like it? so many of you have these little "ideas" of what something should be. don't let your "ideas" ruin music. that is just sad. so many people have rediculous rules and guidelines and ruin something they could really enjoy. music - either you like it or you don't. i'm dissapointed as anyone that i'll never get to see AIC with staley, but i'm not going to needlessly cut short the enjoyment of seeing them with another singer. that is as close as i'll ever get. I saw page and plant in 98. sure it wasn't led zeppelin, but it was one of the very best concert experiences i've ever had. so go on and be negative, but i wonder how "ideas" and "standards" effect you. people waste so much time and restrict themselves so much. ahhhhhhhhhmen.

b.t.w. - wouldn't be great if page, plant and jones got together with dave groll (can't remember how to spell his name) and did a zed zeppelin tour?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    dave grhol playing with them it would be great, but you can´t compare a drummer with a vocalist, many drummers can replace bonham ´´with all respect´´just reading some papers... for an vocalist that it´s not enough...

i´m getting tired of this, do wathever you want, fuckin sellouts...
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    tonadax wrote:
    in ac dc case, when their first singer died, i think they just released 2 albums as a band, it´s not the same situation with AIC a band who release many albums,box sets,live and an unplugged, i suggest to keep the aic idea intact....

or would you like to see pearl jam, new soundgarden with another singer, i don´t think so....

2 albums with Bon Scott? Sorry, they released more albums with Bon Scott than AIC released while Layne was alive....
  • GuinessGuiness Posts: 46
    Alice in Chains is definitely one of my favorite bands. I never had the chance to see them play live. Now that Layne is gone, I have no desire to see or hear them at all. I cannot imagine anyone singing those songs other than Layne. No one will be able to sing Junkhead, Them Bone, Dirty Chair, or Dirt and bring that emotion like Layne. To me this is like Billy Corgan saying that Smashing Pumpkings is back together even though it is just him and James. No matter what name they use, it will never be what it was. It is the current day equivilent of Lynyrd Skynyrd or the Beach Boys still touring, it is not the band and it does a diservice to the memory of what those bands were.
    I got scratches all over my arms, one for each day since I fell apart.

Me you wouldn't recall for I'm not my former.

St. Louis 10/11/00
    West Palm Beach 4/11/03
    Kissimmee 10/8/04
    West Palm Beach 6/12/08
    Tampa 6/13/08
  • TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    I agree, there's no Alice in Chains without Layne but from another perspective, I mean Jerry Cantrell was really the mastermind behind the band and wrote at least 75% of the music so I can understand him going out on tour and all that. I saw the new singer a couple of times like 3 years ago when Jerry was touring by himself and Duvall's band Comes With the Fall was opening for him... Duvall would sing some old AIC songs but really can't give my veredict about him cause during Layne's parts it was all about the fans screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs, very moving. I will definitively go see them play on this reunion tour every time I get a chance but buying a new AIC album with Duvall's on vocals that's a whole different deal....
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    While I respect people's decision to not see Alice in Chains with a different vocalist, I fail to see how you can make comments without having seen them.
    Will I agree that no one can replace Layne, William DuVall did an amazing job of the vocals.
    He wasn't trying to copy Layne's style or the way he sings, he just sang as he normally does. He was probably so nervous before taking the stage, knowing that he was going to be judged but he got on with it.

That takes a lot of balls, considering how much Layne is loved and respected.
    It also takes a lot of balls for the remaining members to get on stage and play those songs with a different vocalist.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    that if they wrote a new album it would be under a different name.

Think about it, does anyone doubt the credibility of Brian Johnson in AC/DC just because he replaced Bon Scott? Hell, Back in Black (Johnson's first album with the band) went on to become the second biggest selling album of all time - proving that a lot of people can move on. The whole Alice In Chains reunion is about celebrating the music, and bringing it back to a new generation of fans, and there is no other way of doing that than to get a new singer to sing those songs, and quite honestly, I can't think of another singer out there that could do a better job than DuVall.
    AC/DCs music wasn't nearly as autobiographical of Bon Scott though. I kind of agree with the starter of the thread... DuVall is singing songs that were intensely personal to Layne. Its just not the same.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"