Anyone present at Nine Inch Nails shows last year?

OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
edited February 2007 in Other Music
I would like to know what to expect and how it comes out really. I'm going to their show in Oslo in April and am pretty excited about that. I have also recently watched the "and all that could have been" dvd and hoping for a show in that vein perhaps.

But I wanna know, what do they play, do they have lots of screens, lighting etc. How do they come across live?

Enlighten me, people :)

Peace
Dan
"YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I went last June in Pittsburgh. It was amazing. Awesome stage setup,awesome lights and everything. They play most of there mre popular songs, atleast when i saw them they did. Definetey don't miss it.
  • I would like to know what to expect and how it comes out really. I'm going to their show in Oslo in April and am pretty excited about that. I have also recently watched the "and all that could have been" dvd and hoping for a show in that vein perhaps.

But I wanna know, what do they play, do they have lots of screens, lighting etc. How do they come across live?

Enlighten me, people :)

Peace
    Dan

I saw them 3 times in the past tour. The last show I saw this past June is the best concert I've seen in the last 4 years or so by far. You will see something like what's on the live DVD. They do have a large stage set up with lights and screens.

As far as how they come across live....simply put, it's just powerful and raw. It's like standing outside during a hurricane...you will see beauty, and you will see destruction. I really can't say enough about NIN shows....I see them every single chance I get. When they come back this year hopefully, I'd blow off Pearl Jam and Tool to see them if I had to. I really can't think of any other live show right now that's as good.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Saturnal wrote:
    I
    As far as how they come across live....simply put, it's just powerful and raw. It's like standing outside during a hurricane...you will see beauty, and you will see destruction.

What a great description - very true. (I saw them 2x last year)

Will you (original guy) get a chance to get the Beside You in Time DVD? (Comes out in the states on 2/27/07, I don't know when, in Oslo. I think it will give you an idea of what it may be like. Oh, along those lines, go here:
    http://halo22.nin.com/

and watch the trailers/clips for the new DVD. That might give you a little taste.

I would also advise hearing protection! I always wear earplugs, because I want to be able to hear the next show. If you destroy your hearing, you don't get it back.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I saw them in Winnipeg in Nov. 2005 and it was a weak show. They really killed the crowd by playing 6 or 7 slow songs in a row and I lost patience. I had seen the ...And All That Could've Been DVD and I thought that DVD did not accurately represent the NIN show I saw. I'm also not a big fan of With Teeth, so if you like that album you'll probably enjoy them more live than I did.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • this is probably one of the bst shows I have ever witnessed. The first time I saw them was Aug 1994 at Woodstock and I had to pick my jaw off the ground after that performance. Saw them again Jan 1995, again top notch. Brought my husband in 2000, again a fantastic show and my husband was so impressed. I just saw them this summer and brought my friend for her birthday and she was just blown away. Have a great time!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • gleemonex wrote:
    I saw them in Winnipeg in Nov. 2005 and it was a weak show. They really killed the crowd by playing 6 or 7 slow songs in a row and I lost patience. I had seen the ...And All That Could've Been DVD and I thought that DVD did not accurately represent the NIN show I saw. I'm also not a big fan of With Teeth, so if you like that album you'll probably enjoy them more live than I did.
    Back in '05, I would agree that their shows were weaker then. I think it took a while for the new band to really come together. I'd give them another chance when you can though. I'm also not a big fan of With Teeth, but the band has learned more songs that come from the previous albums.
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    I saw them twice in '05 and I thought it was awesome. The drummer had some kind of heart attack half way through the first show, so we all got to see them again for a free second show a couple of months later.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I've seen 'em twice as well Late 90s and again in 05. Both times it was different. I don't think it's very easy to predeict what Trent is going o do from album to album or tour to tour.
  • i saw seven shows over the 2005-06 with teeth tour. you'll love it. next to pearl jam, you won't get a better show. trent doesn't mix the set up as much as pearl jam, but it's about impossible to do that with all the lights, etc.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    I saw them 3 times in the past tour. The last show I saw this past June is the best concert I've seen in the last 4 years or so by far. You will see something like what's on the live DVD. They do have a large stage set up with lights and screens.

As far as how they come across live....simply put, it's just powerful and raw. It's like standing outside during a hurricane...you will see beauty, and you will see destruction. I really can't say enough about NIN shows....I see them every single chance I get. When they come back this year hopefully, I'd blow off Pearl Jam and Tool to see them if I had to. I really can't think of any other live show right now that's as good.

ditto! its fucking intense!!! its up there with TOOL in its intensity...pj is a different kind of intensity....but ive seen NIN maybe 8 times total....and they never cease to blow me away. its loud...its powerful...it makes me feel like im not the only one...lol...

youll be blown away! i wish i was seeing them again soon. hopefully more US dates this year....
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • i saw seven shows over the 2005-06 with teeth tour. you'll love it. next to pearl jam, you won't get a better show. trent doesn't mix the set up as much as pearl jam, but it's about impossible to do that with all the lights, etc.

yeah most shows have similar setlists....but i saw one in cleveland that seemed to play a lotta shit off the downward spiral and eariler....then i saw them like 3 weeks later in wilkes barre and they played all the new shit i wanted to hear too....but MOST of the time its predictable. but it doesnt matter because its soo good!
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • I saw them last year (or it could have being the year before) and it was fantastic. Trent is such an energetic frontman and NIN really do bring it live. Alessandro Cortini was really good and the drummer is just out of this world. There is a good mix of earlier material along with With Teeth songs.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • I saw them in Rochester NY (3_9_06), I'm listening to the boot right now! Hurt was fuckign amazing. So emotional, Trent still ahs it in him. I also saw them in Saratoga Springs (6_18_06), which was also amazing. Can't wait for Year Zero. Imagine it like a Tool concert except alot of energy! Awesome stage set up, alot of emotion and kick ass tunes!

Trent is also starting to talk alot on stage to the crowd and interact now that he's clean which is also cool.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I saw them in November 05...they played mainly with teeth material and a lot of the songs youd expect them to play from PHM, Broken, and The Downward Spiral. Im not too familiar with the Fragile so I couldnt really say what they played off of that(although I know they did play a few)....Very dark, loud, intense feeling to the show. There are some really cool stage things with certain songs, like the screen for "Right Where it Belongs" which was heartbreaking in concert.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Thanks for the input people. It seems like I'm in for a treat then :)

JaneNY thanks for the tips, and I will bring my earplugs along. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    I went to 5, 4 in Atlanta and 1 in birmingham...

IT WAS RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME...THIS GUY CAN PUT ON A SHOW LIKE NONE OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • I went to the 4 Brixton shows in '05, and they were all superb - they mixed about 5 tracks each night, so we got some more off of TDS one night, stuff from The Fragile on another, and then b-sides & oddities another, etc etc.

I'm looking forward to this tour cos I think the band will be even tighter & we'll get to hear a couple of tracks from Year Zero.

I will say 1 thing though - don't expect the full light show that you'll see from the American tour DVD. The venues they are playing in Europe are generally smaller, and it cos them a lot of money to ship that stuff around the world. (I saw them twice on The Fragile, and we didn't get half the lights that were on the AATCHB DVD).

We get a more stripped-down show, so we get less of the lights, but it's more intimate, which is very cool.

ROLL ON MARCH!
    7387 // "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." // 28-02-92 / Astoria 06-92 Cancelled / 14-07-93 / 29-10-96 / 30-05-00 / 20-04-06 / 27-08-06 / 18-06-07 / 18-08-09 / 25-06-10
  • Oh yea definently bring earplugs. I bring them to every concert I go to, except Ween which wasnt that loud and kciked ass. The first NIN concert (and my first concert experiance) I didn't have any and I had a ringing in my ear for a week. I got these $18 earplugs that are made for concerts that absolutly kick ass. Definently worth the money. It takes out msot of the crowd noise and filters the music perfectly.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Oh yea definently bring earplugs. I bring them to every concert I go to, except Ween which wasnt that loud and kciked ass. The first NIN concert (and my first concert experiance) I didn't have any and I had a ringing in my ear for a week. I got these $18 earplugs that are made for concerts that absolutly kick ass. Definently worth the money. It takes out msot of the crowd noise and filters the music perfectly.

No problem there. I have some plugs worth about 230$. I got them through work, as I work with an autist that can yell pretty much and pretty high. They're musicians' plugs in that they only cut off the high noises, but still enables you to talk. :) Earplugs, check!

Peace
    Dan