Tomahawk - Anonymous

OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I just had to get a thread out there about this fantastic album. A total surprise. And at first glance, Patton and company doing an album based on indian music is a novelty like "the guys are at it again". But after a spin or two, it gradually sinks in that this is just not a quirky concept album. It fucking rocks. Those indian drum rhytms are fantastic, Patton chanting his ass off, and the guitar fleshing it out at every point.

If nothing else, check out the song "Mescal Rite 1" and you'll see what I mean. This is not just weird but actually truly really good stuff. I am again reminded why I never give up on Patton and his projects, no matter how many of them dont really hit me. Suddenly something like this appears, although to be fair, I understand that this record is mostly the work of the guitarist in Tomahawk.

Go forth and listen!

Peace
Dan
"YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I really have to give that album another listen..i listened once and could not get into it at all.... I loved the last one so thats obviously why i may be bias after 1 listen... my other buddy loves it.. but he's a fanatic so not too surprising
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    It is good, and I am not a big Patton fan either.

Tomahawk live is complete crap though :P
  • I was really anticipating this release hoping to get a new rock album by Tomahawk. Was I ever in for a shock. I'm a Mike Patton fan and enjoy his experimental stuff with Fantomas, but I was looking for to a record of guitars, bass and drums from him.

For the first time in my life, I returned a CD to the store. I gave it three listens and was beside myself at how much I thought this record stunk. After the first song I was saying to myself "alright, Mike starting off with some weird chanting and then it will rip". Then the second song comes on and I thought "he's pushing the mood of the record on me, with this Indian based chanting, man we're in for a treat". As the record continues, I get more and more frustrated by what I'm hearing.

It was the worst album I have ever purchased. I was expecting a rock album and he gave me a groovy Fantomas. I know the work on the record is solid. I know the idea behind the record is there but it didn't hit home. I wanted Mike Patton to be singing, not chanting. I wanted rock riffs, not soundscapes. At times I feel Patton wastes a lot of his talent when he doesn't sing. The guy has range that few other singers have.

Oh well, maybe the next record will be the Mike Patton rock album I was looking for. Good record, but not for me.
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    Mike Patton is an artist first, singer and musician second. It's refreshing to see someone that has come to a place in his career where being a commercial success doesn't matter. He makes a good enough living touring his ass off, that he can create all this non mainstream music.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    mr bungle wrote:
    Mike Patton is an artist first, singer and musician second. It's refreshing to see someone that has come to a place in his career where being a commercial success doesn't matter. He makes a good enough living touring his ass off, that he can create all this non mainstream music.

..werd.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    I was really anticipating this release hoping to get a new rock album by Tomahawk. Was I ever in for a shock. I'm a Mike Patton fan and enjoy his experimental stuff with Fantomas, but I was looking for to a record of guitars, bass and drums from him.

For the first time in my life, I returned a CD to the store. I gave it three listens and was beside myself at how much I thought this record stunk. After the first song I was saying to myself "alright, Mike starting off with some weird chanting and then it will rip". Then the second song comes on and I thought "he's pushing the mood of the record on me, with this Indian based chanting, man we're in for a treat". As the record continues, I get more and more frustrated by what I'm hearing.

It was the worst album I have ever purchased. I was expecting a rock album and he gave me a groovy Fantomas. I know the work on the record is solid. I know the idea behind the record is there but it didn't hit home. I wanted Mike Patton to be singing, not chanting. I wanted rock riffs, not soundscapes. At times I feel Patton wastes a lot of his talent when he doesn't sing. The guy has range that few other singers have.

Oh well, maybe the next record will be the Mike Patton rock album I was looking for. Good record, but not for me.
    If you expected that, then I can see you getting disappointed. For me, I just saw it standing there on the shelf and thought "Hmmm Indian plus Patton. Sounds like fun" :)

But I like it alot. Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, like most of patton's work, really. ;)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965