Broken Social Scene

Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
edited July 2007 in Other Music
anyone into BSS? They're easily my 2nd favorite band behind PJ.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KannKann Posts: 1,146
    anyone into BSS? They're easily my 2nd favorite band behind PJ.

I bought "You forgot it in people" one day out of spite (record store was out of the album I was actually looking for and I liked the cover) and found it actually good. But I ended up buying the record I wanted and never went further than that. It was a cool album nonetheless, what do the others sound like?
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    they sound similar i would say but i think i enjoy their latest release (self titled) a bit better, although some of my favorite BSS songs are off you forgot it in people. i saw them live before, it was one of the best shows i'd ever seen.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    They're a great band. You ever check out Do Make Say Think? It's Ohad and Charles' other band. Instrumental music. One of my favorite bands
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    In the best albums of the 2000s thread ... "You Forgot It in People" was my #1 ... really.

I've seen them a few times, been outstanding each time.

Have the boot to their Coachella 2004 set where they were flipping amazing (and the first time I heard Shoreline 7/4, which is just an incredible song) ... the set even had a marriage proposal! (and she accepted) ...

Good stuff. Can't wait for them to come around again.

edit - I should say I was at that Coachella set ... 115+ degrees of musical goodness
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • dirtyshoesdirtyshoes Posts: 27
    bss is pretty amazing. i saw them live however and sadly - they sucked!

they said that they weren't getting along and couldn't get together to practice so I assume they're breaking up :(!
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I really like You Forgot it in People, Beehives and most of all the Self Titled album, they are all excellent. I thought Feel Good Lost was pretty crap though to be honest, terrible in comparison with the others. Great band overall though.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    dirtyshoes wrote:
    they said that they weren't getting along and couldn't get together to practice so I assume they're breaking up :(!

They are currently on hiatus, but I've heard they'll be touring again soon.

I'm not a huge BSS fan, but I do like Andrew Whiteman's side project, Apostle of Hustle.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Both of their last two(You Forgot It In People and self-titled) are among the better released of the 00s so far. Very good band, hopefully they round up everybody again next year to record again.
  • I Love BSS, they are so unique and have such a greta sound
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
    you guys ever check out Metric or Feist? both favorites of mine and both are BSS offshoots.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    you guys ever check out Metric or Feist? both favorites of mine and both are BSS offshoots.

Actually, both Metric (lead singer Emily Haynes) and (Leslie) Feist were around before Broken Social Scene ... they were added to BSS I tihnk during the Feel Good Lost time ...

Metric is fantastic in concert ... Emily is a spazz on stage, in a good way ... I guess they just released an album that they made back in 99-01, but no lable ever picked it up ... haven't heard it yet .... will be seeing them again at the Download Festival in Mountain View ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • I've only got You Forgot it in People but it's brilliant.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    jimed14 wrote:
    Actually, both Metric (lead singer Emily Haynes) and (Leslie) Feist were around before Broken Social Scene ... they were added to BSS I tihnk during the Feel Good Lost time ...

Metric is fantastic in concert ... Emily is a spazz on stage, in a good way ... I guess they just released an album that they made back in 99-01, but no lable ever picked it up ... haven't heard it yet .... will be seeing them again at the Download Festival in Mountain View ...

yeah i knew they were around before that but i got into both through BSS... BSS's first album was all instrumental songs.