The Shins new cd - Wincing the night away

THCTHC Posts: 525
edited April 2007 in Other Music
If you are into this kind of music...(more mellow...more synth)...

you'll love this album. Very...very good. I'd recommend it to anyone....A cd you can play from start to finish...
“Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
-Big Fish
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the shins are amazing. I am defintely into anything that is "braff-rock".

Caring is Creepy off the last album is still my favorite though
  • Best Shins album to date.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This album had to grow on me, but i'm glad i stuck with it. Very solid.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    such an overrated band...'indie' flavor of the moment
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Great band. Wish i was able to get out and see em on tour this year. Caught my ear right away. Probably my second favorite behind Chutes too narrow and in from of oh inverted world.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    LedZepFan wrote:
    such an overrated band...'indie' flavor of the moment

Completely disagree. They have produced three stellar albums in a row. Few bands ever manage that. James Mercer is one of the most inventive and beautiful songwriters in rock right now. This isn't an indie flavor of the moment. Those in the know have been on board with The Shins since their first album came out. A band that has been well received for over six years can hardly be called a flavor of the moment. They are about as good as it gets right now.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • I do think they enjoyed a popularity boost from Garden State and as I mentioned before Zach Braff and Natalie Portman, and they admit that. But I dont think they are popular only because of that. Modest Mouse, Death Cab, Iron and Wine, and all the other popular but quality "indie" acts right now seem to be experiencing boosts in attention. Some articles deem it the "Garden State and O.C. effect".

They make great songs and albums.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I bought this disc without hearing one song off of it, I'm not disappointed in the slightest. Good standard Shins. Which is awesome.

LedzepFan, go smoke a joint and try again. You'll get it next time. :)
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I love this CD just as much as Chutes and Inverted World. It is a great album from start to finish. I will admit that I didn't get into them until Natalie Portman told me New Slang would change my life in the above mentioned movie but she was definitely right.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut