Ian MacKaye is Coming to my College

likepilateihaveadoglikepilateihaveadog Posts: 1,083
edited March 2006 in Other Music
The Dischord Records Story: A Model of Sustainabillity - Q and A with Ian MacKaye
7:00 pm, 200 Kaufman Hall
Monday, March 6th, 2006 - Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, PA
Q & A with Ian MacKaye of Dischord Records and member of the bands Fugazi, The Evens and Minor Threat. Ian will discuss his unique business model and answer questions.
Cost: Free
For more information, contact Jeffrey S. Podoshen (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jeffrey.podoshen@fandm.edu">jeffrey.podoshen@fandm.edu</a><!-- e -->)

Saw that poster on campus today and almost shit my pants.
This is going to be awesome.
Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Yeah, he came to my school and did the same thing about two years ago. It was awesome...you best check it out.
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    that would be one hell of an experience. you'd best be going to that.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    So what day is it? That's only about 200 miles from me.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Man that should be awesome.
  • JaneNY wrote:
    So what day is it? That's only about 200 miles from me.
    It's next Monday, the 6th, Lancaster PA...

Yeah, this should be great. I'm thinking about asking him about the PJ bootleg series and what he thinks of that...releasing a copy of every show...
    Is that DIY or more commercialized?
    I'm really curious on that...
    Plus, just how Dischord worked over the years (and still is!)
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    He came to my school a few years back and did a Fugazi show. It was very cool and he was a nice guy to be around. The show was outdoors though and probably about 40 degrees, so turnout was pretty much hardcore fans only.
  • eh...I dont know dude. They probably wont serve any beer or let you smoke or anything.

= LAME.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    check out http://www.fugaziliveseries.com
    It's next Monday, the 6th, Lancaster PA...

Yeah, this should be great. I'm thinking about asking him about the PJ bootleg series and what he thinks of that...releasing a copy of every show...
    Is that DIY or more commercialized?
    I'm really curious on that...
    Plus, just how Dischord worked over the years (and still is!)
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I'd be interested to hear what he had to say. Please follow up. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • hailhail82 wrote:
    Oh yeah, I know. That's the thing.
    Doing it for every show vs. picking out the best...where do you draw the line?

Should I ask him why he sold out?

:D
  • wolfbear wrote:
    I'd be interested to hear what he had to say. Please follow up. :)
    I'll be writing a review...don't worry. :D
  • pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Ask Ian what the hell is Fugazi doing right now and when will they tour again and when will they tour Australia.

My world is missing some new Fugazi :(
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • pazman wrote:
    Ask Ian what the hell is Fugazi doing right now and when will they tour again and when will they tour Australia.

My world is missing some new Fugazi :(
    I'll ask him what the definition of hiatus is. ;)
  • ask him if he smokes. 'cause if he says no he's lying.

but seriously, ask him how different can an independent label model be from a major label when everything is just replicated on a microcosmic scale (i.e. you've still got record companies, distribution, major retail outlets, except most of the people you're dealing with are your "friends")...
  • ask him if he smokes. 'cause if he says no he's lying.

but seriously, ask him how different can an independent label model be from a major label when everything is just replicated on a microcosmic scale (i.e. you've still got record companies, distribution, major retail outlets, except most of the people you're dealing with are your "friends")...
    OK, I'll try... nice name by the way.....
  • any other ideas?
    can't believe this is tomorow night.
  • Way cool. I don't care what the people that don't agree with him think and there negative comments, he is still a comendable guy, who believes its just about the music, the way it should be.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Way cool. I don't care what the people that don't agree with him think and there negative comments, he is still a comendable guy, who believes its just about the music, the way it should be.
    I agree. I really dig what he has to say.
    I don't really get why people call him a sell-out (or worse things than that)
    he never claimed that these ideas were solely his - they were old ideas he adopted as his philosophy...
    that's my take.
    guess I'll find out tonight.
  • I agree. I really dig what he has to say.
    he never claimed that these ideas were solely his - they were old ideas he adopted as his philosophy...
    that's my take.

Sweet keep me posted.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• leaving right now...last chance...
  • Wow.
    That was incredible. The man's a great public speaker...knows how to be funny and make a point at the same time.
    The place was packed - standing room only - 300 or so people.
    I thought maybe 25 people would be there, but word of mouth spread to the community, all the punks came. There were maybe MAYBE ten people from my school there who knew him for the music. The rest were all locals.
    Full review sometime tomorrow. I'll type it up and link it here. I need to sleep on it digest it, do homework, etc.
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I agree. I really dig what he has to say.
    that's my take.

Who is calling Ian MacKaye a sell out? I mean, of all the people to call sell out this is just not the guy. Seriously. What is going on with MacKaye that anyone could even pretend he's a sell out?
  • Inkdaub wrote:
    Who is calling Ian MacKaye a sell out? I mean, of all the people to call sell out this is just not the guy. Seriously. What is going on with MacKaye that anyone could even pretend he's a sell out?
    I've heard it all. People that started "hardedge" would beat the shit out of people that ate meat. Some fucks just take what MacKaye say and go nuts with it. I guess it's just the crazies, but I've heard it...
    review later today...must go to class...
  • http://edisk.fandm.edu/william.montgomery/files/

There should be a file there called "Montgomery MacKaye review.pdf"
    Download that...

I wrote it real quick - the grammar is poor and there are things I've left out, but that's not a bad review I don't think.
    Hopefully that makes up for those of you who would have liked to be there but just couldn't make it.
    Let me know what you think, comments are cool.
    Thanks much all,

Will
  • bump bump...
  • bump...anyone? where'd you all go?
  • http://edisk.fandm.edu/william.montgomery/files/

There should be a file there called "Montgomery MacKaye review.pdf"
    Download that...

I wrote it real quick - the grammar is poor and there are things I've left out, but that's not a bad review I don't think.
    Hopefully that makes up for those of you who would have liked to be there but just couldn't make it.
    Let me know what you think, comments are cool.
    Thanks much all,

Will

Read it this morning, very cool. I still respect that guy greatly, look at what he passed up, and he is still all about the music. Very very cool!

• Read it this morning, very cool. I still respect that guy greatly, look at what he passed up, and he is still all about the music. Very very cool!
    Yeah. It was a hell of a talk. The best I've heard so far at school and the rest have been PhDs and all that kind of stuff.
    Ian's got it together.
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I'll ask him what the definition of hiatus is. ;)
    Amen brother!
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • FNYNKEZ wrote:
    Amen brother!
    Well, I never got the chance to ask about Fugazi...the place was packed.
    But Ian made it sound like he's pretty involved in the Evens and may go on tour again with that pretty soon.

I think Fugazi is done...which is sad, but OK. they had a hell of a run.