Heaviest Bands around?

CanadianEHCanadianEH Posts: 134
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Been on a metal kick lately. Need some help finding goog heavy stuff. So far I have been enjoying (is that the right word):

Hatebreed
Hellyeah
Lamb of God
Stone Sour (some)
Disturbed (some)
Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Lez Zeppelin
  • Ok so they're not metal, but they are heavy as hell punk rock, The Bronx - pure aggression of the highest order! They've got some great tunes too. Check 'em out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RONJqkRlADo
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Mastodon
    Baroness
    Dillinger Escape Plan
    Rwake
    Raw Radar War
    Out To Win
    Kyuss
    Slo Burn
    Floor
    Starkweather
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Been on a metal kick lately. Need some help finding goog heavy stuff. So far I have been enjoying (is that the right word):

Hatebreed
    Hellyeah
    Lamb of God
    Stone Sour (some)
    Disturbed (some)

I think you're asking on the wrong BBS. The heaviest some of the people here have delved into is Tool!

Matt's suggestions are good. I'd also try asking this question on real forums like ultimate-guitar.com (in the metal section) and ozzfest.com.
    forgot Converge!!
  • Am i missing something? when did Disturbed get heavy?

Is there an EP i haven't heard or something?
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Ok so they're not metal, but they are heavy as hell punk rock, The Bronx - pure aggression of the highest order! They've got some great tunes too. Check 'em out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RONJqkRlADo
    History's Stranglers live was heavier than Slayer.

Anyway, Meshuggah and Strapping Young Lad are some of the heaviest in terms of sheer weight of music, as are Neurosis, Khanate etc
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    History's Stranglers live was heavier than Slayer.

Anyway, Meshuggah and Strapping Young Lad are some of the heaviest in terms of sheer weight of music, as are Neurosis, Khanate etc
    surprised to see a Khanate nod on a PJ board, NICE!!
    surprised to see a Khanate nod on a PJ board, NICE!!
    Pearl Jam are something of an anomaly in my musical tastes :) I generally listen to Jazz, Hip-hop and underground punk and metal.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • depends on how "heavy" you wanna get....try Bullet For My Valentines latest,ScreamAimFire ...any Funeral For A Friend ( my personal fav after PJ)
    Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Atreyu,Mudvayne( singer and guitarist from Hellyeah's daytime gig)hell i could go on and on but thats a good start for the "heavy" stuff...enjoy
    i have faced it....a life wasted
    i'm never going back again....
    depends on how "heavy" you wanna get....try Bullet For My Valentines latest,ScreamAimFire ...any Funeral For A Friend ( my personal fav after PJ)
    Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Atreyu,Mudvayne( singer and guitarist from Hellyeah's daytime gig)hell i could go on and on but thats a good start for the "heavy" stuff...enjoy
    Not ragging on your favourite bands but they aren't even the heaviest of their kind of bands. Not even close to the heaviest around.

Try this for an entry into some really heavy music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVifUqwui7A :)
  • job for a cowboy
    nile
    lamb of god
    all shall perish
    machine head

that should keep you going for a while :D
  • Boris
    Goblin Cock
    Pissed Jeans (more punk)
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Odin wrote:
    I think you're asking on the wrong BBS. The heaviest some of the people here have delved into is Tool!

Thats quite an assumtion to make.Whats it based on?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Odin wrote:

Thats quite an assumtion to make.Whats it based on?
    I believe it's based on his ability to be both baselessly smug and unintentionally hilarious at once. He thinks he is the only person who knows REAL music because he digs Mastodon.
  • Boris
    Goblin Cock
    Pissed Jeans (more punk)

I've never heard the music of Goblin Cock, but that is a freakin' hysterical name for a band!

They may be old school, but I'll add Slayer to the list.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I believe it's based on his ability to be both baselessly smug and unintentionally hilarious at once. He thinks he is the only person who knows REAL music because he digs Mastodon.

Like your take on him man.You got his number well sussed.:)
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Well if you are looking for something that is just brutal both Pig Destroyer albums are pretty much that. Of the bands you listed they are closest to Hatebreed.

If you don't need the music to be absolutly brutal one band i don't think has been mentioned yet that i like a lot is High on Fire. Check out their album blessed black wings. A good little sabbath like groove.

There are some folks on this board who enjoy heavy music but i think odin was just making a point that you may not get teh best answers on this board because i would imagine the majority of pearl jam fans probalby are just casual metal fans if they like much of it at all.

I usually tool around on some other boards when i'm looking for some new heavy music.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I'd recommend some Gojira, Amon Amarth, or maybe some Kataklysm
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Amon Amarth

I love those guys. Fate of Norns is such and awesome album.

Opeth is pretty awesome too if the OP likes prog metal.

Blackwater Park & Still Life are my favs \m/
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:

Fate of Norns is awesome, my fave is Vs. The World. Opeth rocks pretty hard too \m/
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • jammerfall wrote:
    I've never heard the music of Goblin Cock, but that is a freakin' hysterical name for a band!

They may be old school, but I'll add Slayer to the list.

Not sure if you're familiar with pinback, but Goblin Cock are a Pinback sideproject
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Not ragging on your favourite bands but they aren't even the heaviest of their kind of bands. Not even close to the heaviest around.

Try this for an entry into some really heavy music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVifUqwui7A :)

hey,no prob....wasn't throwing it out there that these bands were the"heaviest" out there, just going by what our friend the threadstarter had given us as his idea of what he thought "heavy" was, i simply offered up some bands i thought he might like. I know there are many other bands out there that occupy the same genres as the Funeral For A Friends, etc. that crush them as far as " heaviness" goes, but judging by what he listed, and as my post stated, the shit i threw out there was what i thought would be a good "starting point" nothing more, nothing less. Trying to help a guy find new music was what i posted for, not for The Gods Of Heavy to shit on my taste in music....
    i have faced it....a life wasted
    i'm never going back again....
    hey,no prob....wasn't throwing it out there that these bands were the"heaviest" out there, just going by what our friend the threadstarter had given us as his idea of what he thought "heavy" was, i simply offered up some bands i thought he might like. I know there are many other bands out there that occupy the same genres as the Funeral For A Friends, etc. that crush them as far as " heaviness" goes, but judging by what he listed, and as my post stated, the shit i threw out there was what i thought would be a good "starting point" nothing more, nothing less. Trying to help a guy find new music was what i posted for, not for The Gods Of Heavy to shit on my taste in music....
    whoa there, I wasn't shitting on your taste in music at all :) I thought I made that clear. It's just that the point of the thread was kind of specific and some people were deviating from it a wee bit. I have no claims to know who the BEST metal bands are, it's not really my genre but I know who some of the heaviest are. No shitting on your tastes intended, honest :)
  • I strongly recommend Meshuggah. Unlike a lot of the other "heavy" bands, you won't feel like your IQ is dropping as much with these guys. A lot of cool themes in their music... but the vocals are very hard to get into at first. Vocals are annoyingly similar to many death metal acts, unfortunately.
    I strongly recommend Mesguggah. Unlike a lot of the other "heavy" bands, you won't feel like your IQ is dropping as much with these guys. A lot of cool themes in their music... but the vocals are very hard to get into at first. Vocals are annoyingly similar to many death metal acts, unfortunately.
    I think Meshuggah's vocals are easier to appreciate than typical death growls. They tend to be more comprehensible and actually add to the music. The sole reason that I prefer black metal like Burzum and Emperor to death metal is that death growls tend to border on the unlistenable in some instances.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    intodeep wrote:

Opeth is one of my favorite bands. Good call. Great prog metal. Mikael does some great singing as well as growling, and the musicianship is amazing.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Haven't been around for a few days and I come back to this? Awesome! Thanks. Keep it coming!
    Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
    Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
    Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
    Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
    Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
  • To this day I still think Ministry is so hard and heavy. Man I'm gonna miss this band.

Thanks Uncle Al for all these years.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Children of Bodom

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks