Options

at what point does a guilty pleasure become well not?

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited February 2006 in Other Music
ok so me and a friend were talking about guilty pleasures and after me naming off a list of mine (mostly of the pop-punkish variety, rise against, Eve 6 etc.) he was like "dude those aren't guilty pleasures you actively like those bands" so what is the protocol between guilty pleasures and actually bands that you have to admit to liking?
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    if its a guilty pleasure then you blatently just like them but dont want to admitt it.
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • Options
    I guess I've never really had real guility pleasures. If I like something then I'm not afraid to say I like it. I don't care if everyone else thinks it's crap, if I like it then that's that.
  • Options
    The point that a guilty pleasure stops being a guilty pleasure is when you stop giving a shit what other people think.

I like Pearl Jam, Tool, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, NIN, Jeff Buckley and hundreds more rock bands, but have a soft spot for some of Kelly Clarkson's songs, just cause her voice kicks some serious arse - does that somehow devalue my liking of these other bands? I really couldn't care less if it's deemed 'cool' or not.
  • Options
    CuriousCurious Posts: 732
    I guess I've never really had real guility pleasures. If I like something then I'm not afraid to say I like it. I don't care if everyone else thinks it's crap, if I like it then that's that.

I was about to reply to this thread then noticed you have stated exactly what I was about to say, almost word for word.

I know I have what some would consider to be strange taste in music, I like most genres, I'll give anything a go. I never really understood why any of these pleasures would be considered guilty.

I just love music.
    "The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein
  • Options
    the funny thing about people...

Most peoples tastes suck to everyone else.

There is no such thing as good music, or bad music... Its all about what YOU like- if you like it, then its good. When i was 17 i used to come up with fake excuses to listen to "bad" songs... "shes hot", or "boy this line is so stupid", etc... Then i realized.. if i like something, i like something- and that makes it GOOD music to ME. I enjoy Avril, Vanessa Carlton, Kelly Clarkson.. and im not afraid to admit it.
  • Options
    Good question.

I've always regarded Collective Soul as a guilty pleasure band for me. However, I was so impressed with their Home DVD concert with the Atlanta Youth Symphony Orchestra when I saw it on DirectTV's Freeview two months ago that I pre-ordered the DVD, CD, and shirt from their official site. Now, I'm embarassed when I wear the shirt ("I can't believe I'm wearing a Collective Soul shirt") then a little later I'm not ("Man, who cares. That concert was amazing.") The High Fidelity elitist in me is obviously in charge of the former feeling as opposed to the latter.

I listen to some of their songs, and I flat out like the band. Then I listen to others and I think, "Oh, my god, this is so bland, and did he really just say, 'Happy as Christmas'?"

As to your actual question, I agree with this statement:

"if its a guilty pleasure then you blatently just like them but dont want to admitt it"
  • Options
    The only guilty pleasure that I've ever had was Elton John. Then I saw Almost Famous and realized it wasn't just me.
  • Options
    ms11781 wrote:
    The only guilty pleasure that I've ever had was Elton John. Then I saw Almost Famous and realized it wasn't just me.

No reason to feel guilty for liking Elton John...he is amazing, esp. his stuff from the 70's. He and Bernie Taupin both kick mucho ass.
  • Options
    chris3chris3 Posts: 43
    ms11781 wrote:

I use to think Elton only had a few good songs and didnt consider him someone that I would say i enjoyed listening to. Then a friend of mine got me Tumbleweed Connection. Fucking brilliant album!
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I'm_One wrote:
    I use to think Elton only had a few good songs and didnt consider him someone that I would say i enjoyed listening to. Then a friend of mine got me Tumbleweed Connection. Fucking brilliant album!

yeah I'm not ashamed of liking early elton
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Rise Against isn't pop punk...at all...
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows