Southtown girls won't blow you away

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited February 2008 in Other Music
but you know that they'll stay
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mrwalkerb wrote:
    but you know that they'll stay

Ooh.
    The Hold Steady.

I found them last winter looking at newer bands on lists at amazon. Was one of the few bands that sounded worth a listen.

I told my aging hipster buddy at work about them, and he went wild with them, bought everything.

I like some of it and some of it is just a bit too Bruce for me. I really like Stuck Between Stations. Boys And Girls in America is the best, imho. Also, having survived rave, i think the fact that they take old fashioned rock and mention a lot of rave\alt\drug culture things in songs is pretty cute. It sounds honest and pure, and some of it is catchy. Yet some would say its sappy or crappy. To each their own.

Anyhow.
    At least its not emo or nu-metal.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    they are my second favorite band, right behind pearl jam. their live shows give me the feeling i imagine pearl jam did in their early days. these guys are fantastic.
  • Being a youngster (I was 4 or 5 when Ten debuted) i'll shall give them a listen.
    C'est une belle histoire
  • Well East coast girls are hip
    I really dig those styles they wear
    And the Southern girls with the way they talk
    They knock me out when I'm down there

The Mid-West farmer's daughters really make you feel alright
    And the Northern girls with the way they kiss
    They keep their boyfriends warm at night

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    they are my second favorite band, right behind pearl jam. their live shows give me the feeling i imagine pearl jam did in their early days. these guys are fantastic.

I wish more than anything I could see them, liek I'm pretty much going to lolla in hope they'll be there. Seperation Sunday is probably the best record of the decade for me it's a fucking masterpiece
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • they are my second favorite band, right behind pearl jam. their live shows give me the feeling i imagine pearl jam did in their early days. these guys are fantastic.

Wow.

Just out of curiosity, how are people getting turned on to Hold Steady?

I've yet to see them in the spotlight anywhere.
    I know they were at Bonaroo last year, but other than that?

I mean, when i was living in DC last year, my buddy (the guy i said i turned on to them, after i discovered them on amazon) and were gonna treck up to PA to see them play some Brew Pub for free.

So how are people finding out?

Just curious.
    Wow.

Just out of curiosity, how are people getting turned on to Hold Steady?

I've yet to see them in the spotlight anywhere.
    I know they were at Bonaroo last year, but other than that?

I mean, when i was living in DC last year, my buddy (the guy i said i turned on to them, after i discovered them on amazon) and were gonna treck up to PA to see them play some Brew Pub for free.

So how are people finding out?

Just curious.

i think i heard aobut them here and downloaded an album. his singing style (or lack thereof) took some getting used to, but then i was addicted. i ended up with all their albums. then they played a nearby club and i went and that was it.

to the guy hoping they'd be at lolla, i wouldnt bank on it. they played the last 2 years in a row... i think it's rare for people to go for 3.
  • his singing style (or lack thereof) took some getting used to.

i don't know about his voice, per se, but the overall style of the music is HIGHLY reminiscent of classic Bruce Springsteen.

Other than that,
    yeah, like i said, The Hold Steady, are one of the better bands out there right now.

They aren't 100% my cup of tea,
    but i find them imminently more listenable than most of the trash out there ... and it is in fact not quite as wussy as stuff like the Arcade Fire, which say what you will, i just can't fucking get in to.

;)
    i don't know about his voice, per se, but the overall style of the music is HIGHLY reminiscent of classic Bruce Springsteen.

Other than that,
    yeah, like i said, The Hold Steady, are one of the better bands out there right now.

They aren't 100% my cup of tea,
    but i find them imminently more listenable than most of the trash out there ... and it is in fact not quite as wussy as stuff like the Arcade Fire, which say what you will, i just can't fucking get in to.

;)

they do draw a lot of bruce comparisons, among others. and they are a blast to listen to. im also usually not a big lyrics guy, but their lyrics are like a bio of my hs.

arcade fire are hit and miss with me. half their stuff is awesome. some of it IS kinda boring though.
  • The hold steady are amazing, saw them twice last year and going to see them again on tuesday " Father can I tell your congregation how a resurrection really feels?"
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I saw The Hold Steady last year, it was a good show. Craig Finn has a lot of energy, looks happy doing what he's doing up there. I'd go see them again if they came back and the tix were cheap.

Here's my thing with them - I'm not crazy about his voice. And I'm getting a little tired of people comparing them with Springsteen and the E Street Band. Yes, the music does sound similar, but it doesn't have the power and the passion that Bruce & Co's music does.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin