Options

coldplay... am I to far off if I say

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited December 2005 in Other Music
that to me they always sounded like a cross between Unforgettable fire era U2 and Travis (or Radiohead if you want to be a prick)? and not much else, I liked yellow and IN my place they were good pop songs but speed of sound and Clocks make me want to kill myself in a bland unoriginal way. just a thought
walker
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    there are times when they appear to be a maginificent act. e.g the debut album was filledn with real class songs. Yellow is not just a pop song. It is bloody good. so is troube, sparks, shiver.

the 2nd one was not bad as well
    the title track a rush of blood to the head is BRILLIANT.

clocks..so-so..in my place, amsterdam..many solid songs

this new one falls short though..fix you is good, couldve been something if only chris martin thought out his lyrics more.

i like swallowed in the sea as well..

songs like Talk though...disappointing
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    GizmoGizmo Posts: 38
    I quite like Coldplay. I haven't seen them live (yet), but I've heard nothing but positive reactions about their concerts. I still remember exactly where I was when I first heard Fix you on the radio and tears were indeed 'streaming down my face'. ... so as far as I'm concerned, they're doing something right!
    (Arnhem 29/08/2006 - Antwerp 30/08/2006 - Antwerp 31/08/2006 - Dusseldorf 2007 - Werchter 2007 - Berlin 2009)
    - If you're not confused, you're not really paying attention to what's going on -
    - Still so many answers I don't know, realise that to question is how we grow -
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    funny you mention it, cos if you listen to track 3 on their latest album (white shadows i think) it sounds like the same riff as the song 'unforgettable fire.'
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I like Coldplay, and find their music very pleasant. I will however, never love them, because all their music sounds too similar. Its all nice, but nothing special, and its never anything new.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    to me Coldplay can be very enjoyable but a lot of their songs are also very boring. to me theyre kinda like a poor man's U2 meets a poor man's radiohead...so id just rather listen to U2 really
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    yosi wrote:
    I like Coldplay, and find their music very pleasant. I will however, never love them, because all their music sounds too similar. Its all nice, but nothing special, and its never anything new.

i agree with this assessment..they are very safe, and that is probably why they are popular...i can't really see them forging into new territory..I found the last album quite boring, and its been sitting on my shelf collecting dust..but i still like some select tracks on their previous records.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    The last album was pretty lame, but I did kind of like the last song on it.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    To my ears Coldplay is background music or something yuppies who are "trying to be hip" listen to. Like other people have said, it is bland, inoffensive music.

I personally don't hear the connection to mid-era U2 aside from the anthemic quality of certain songs, but I do hear a connection to Travis.
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    I like Coldplay, but must admit that there are 2 things that annoy me.
    #1 The political correctness of Chris Martin. Making trade fair is a good cause, but the hole writing on the hand, piano and amps has gone too far.
    #2 They never do any challenging music. It's all easily accessable music, that doesn't challenge me in any sort of way.

But then again, sometimes we just need a good popsong to sing along to.
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    dane wrote:
    #2 They never do any challenging music. It's all easily accessable music, that doesn't challenge me in any sort of way.

There's quite a step up there between their first and last record if you'd ask me. anyway, I saw them three times already and especially last time (2 weeks ago) it was amazing!
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    cheap version of U2, i aint a fan of U2 these days, like the older stuff but dont like what they do now so there aint no way i'd pay money for a lame imitation.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i never really got into u2 and can't think of who travis is...but they are nowhere near radiohead.

i really liked their first 2 albums but thought the last one kinda sucked. some of the lyrics were just sooo damn horrible.

i saw them 3 months ago, the show was pretty good. musically it rocked, they all sounded great but there wasn't much energy. they seem to know as chris martin joked that some magazine said they were one of the most boring bands to watch. i don't care for huge visuals like smoke and fire and whatnot like a kiss show,but still, there wasn't a whole lot of energy to it. they sounded perfect, tho
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way