Options

the streets (mike skinner is fucking rad)

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited June 2006 in Other Music
ok am I alone here? my friend put a song on a mix tape like four years ago and since then I've dove in and I fucking love this shit. come on anyone feel the love for this guy? fucking brillant, "you're not playing hard to get, you're playing not having a hard on yet"
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    alobaralobar Posts: 310
    from what I've heard, I respect his music highly, though it's not really something I'm into.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Options
    alobar wrote:
    from what I've heard, I respect his music highly, though it's not really something I'm into.

as this is about as I come to really digging rap I think he's just awesome. granted my opinion right now is diluted by about 4.7% for 4.25 at a mediocre concert but this cd is stunning. uhh that's all
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    Yeah man I like the Streets. Not everything they've done, but in principal. Had a few amazing tunes off the first two albums, haven't heard much off the newest.

Yeah he's hip-hop but I think what he stands for is more 'punk' really.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Yeah man I like the Streets. Not everything they've done, but in principal. Had a few amazing tunes off the first two albums, haven't heard much off the newest.

Yeah he's hip-hop but I think what he stands for is more 'punk' really.

yeah like he is rap but not boring ass 50 cent rap more like old school cool run DMC rap. the new record has some really cool lines I haven't had the cash to buy it so just listened to it at work on my break but I think it's as good if not better then the second one
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    yeah like he is rap but not boring ass 50 cent rap more like old school cool run DMC rap. the new record has some really cool lines I haven't had the cash to buy it so just listened to it at work on my break but I think it's as good if not better then the second one

personally, i loved the first two albums but his latest didn't do that much for me... still some great lines but i just didn't feel the urge to listen to this over and over like i did with "original pirate material" and "a grand don't come for free"...
    mike skinner is a great lyricist and "grand" is one of the best concept albums of recent times...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    When i first heard the streets i wasnt too keen but now i think mike skinner is really clever. That song blinded by the lights is my favourite, and the video is class.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    I like each album more than the last but most people think the opposite. I guess I just prefer his more polished better produced sound.
    amongstthewav.es
    2006 - Leeds Festival
    2007 - London
    2009 - Manchester / London
    2010 - Berlin
    2012 - Manchester I / Manchester II / EV Manchester
  • Options
    the rap style/beat style is called "garage".

but yes. i heard him right after original pirate material came out. the guys lyrics are genius and is better lyrically then 95% of all rappers popular in the states. it's a shame he's not more popular here.
  • Options
    KELLYS LEASHKELLYS LEASH Posts: 184
    Not to keen on his recent stuff but Original Pirate Material is a cool album especially the song Sharp Darts....
    29/05/00 -Wembley
    20/04/06 - The Astoria alley crew + got to shake Ed's hand
    25/04/06 -Jools Show + got Mike's autograph
    27/08/06- 07/09/06- 09/09/06-13/09/06-17/09/06-13/06/07-18/06/07
    ...Three crooked hearts and swirls all around...
  • Options
    I like each album more than the last but most people think the opposite. I guess I just prefer his more polished better produced sound.

I'm in the same boat with you, maybe I just need more time but I can't get into the first record that much, love the second one, seems like we are are on our own island skinner-wise
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,951
    they have a new single out. Sounds ok

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY