Options

so I'm watching Coldplay on

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited April 2006 in Other Music
the MTV europe awards or something equally pathetic and I got to thinking just how much like U2 they are-well if Bono lost his voice for their entire career instead of the last little while. even the way the setup of the stage was reminded me of U2. Coldplay are so boring and I can't for teh liofe of me understand why they are constantly heralded as some great band when in reality they are a second rate Travis who have listened to Unforgettable Fire way too much. Honestly I would say they are the Seether to U2's Nirvana.
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    i actually thought they were more reminiscent of radiohead. i actually like them, saw them about a month ago and they put on a great show. took me a while to get into the new album but now i dig it. i guess this would make sense to you since ive also seen seether and thought they were pretty good, although ill agree they do try alot to sound (and look) alot like nirvana. they even had some prop on stage when i saw them that was very similar to the prop nirvana had on stage (think in utero album cover), and they even covered "you know your right" one time i saw them, and "heart shaped box" another time. so clearly they are very inspired by them. but i still like them
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i saw cold play in september. i like most of their stuff, but live...meh...kinda boring...they sounded perfect and all, i dunno what it was...they even joked about being one of the most boring live bands.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i saw cold play in september. i like most of their stuff, but live...meh...kinda boring...they sounded perfect and all, i dunno what it was...they even joked about being one of the most boring live bands.

i saw them in december and i think coldplay generally are..boring..
    chris martin just seems like a bland, boring, straight guy....
    i mean, he married gwyneth paltrow.. :D:D

how boring their sex life must be.. *gasps
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    You Know How I Know You're Gay?

You Like Coldplay................................
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    They're about as exciting as watching paint dry while listening to commentary of a cricket match. They're up there with Keane.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    i've never seen coldplay live but i think the old coldplay stuff is amazing. i really didn't like x and y but i love parachutes and rush of blood...

i understand that some people dont like all the soft music(even though the have some rockin songs too) but i actually really like them.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • Options
    Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    Coldplay borrows equally from U2 and Radiohead, and they do little to cover it up. They're the biggest sell-outs I can think of. I'm actually embarassed that I used to like them.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    They could have been brilliant. They write catchy tunes that the masses gobble up, so I bet they get seriously paid, but they put me to sleep.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    i understand that some people dont like all the soft music(even though the have some rockin songs too) but i actually really like them.

It's not about soft songs becasue when it comes to Radiohead Lite bands I fucking love Travis and they are pure mellow. Coldplay just is a bore
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Clifwith1f wrote:
    Coldplay borrows equally from U2 and Radiohead, and they do little to cover it up. They're the biggest sell-outs I can think of. I'm actually embarassed that I used to like them.

Exactly! They are a blatant rip off of both bands. It's one thing to be influenced by a band, but to copy their sound is just ridiculous. One of the most overrated bands around IMO.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    i like some stuff from coldplay. they have written some nice songs and their guitar player knows what he's doing. he does some really nice things

the thing that's disappointing with coldplay is that they refuse to take chances and musical risks. that's what separates them from bands like U2 or radiohead. especially radiohead......coldplay definitely stole some of radiohead's guitar-heavy britpop stuff. but when you really compare the two bands it's easy to see why radiohead is sooooooo much better. they're constantly pushing the envelope. they've never made a record that sounds like anything else they've done. coldplay is still playing the same song they were playing 5 years ago. coldplay has the potential to be pretty great, but they definitely aren't there yet
  • Options
    I've seen coldplay live at the shoreline and I got bored during some songs. They basically do the same act every night, like U2. My friend whom I went with knew the setlist before we even go into the show so I always knew what song was coming up next....really makes me appreciate Pearl Jam even more.
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    You Know How I Know You're Gay?

You Like Coldplay................................

Haha, i said that to one of my friends who likes them after i watched that film. :D

I dont understand the big deal about them, i mean, Chris Martin has a TERRIBLE voice, he cant sing. He can reach high notes pretty well but in general he's a bad bad singer.

I do like one or two of their songs, 'In My Place' and 'Shiver' are about it. Bands around my area who play in bars still cover 'Yellow'.... and i go to the bathroom when they do (not to throw up.... although....)