concept vs. thematic albums

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited June 2007 in Other Music
ok I think people bandy the term "concept album" too freely nowadays. And frankly they confuse concept albums with what I like to called "thematic" albums. This sounds trivial but there is a very important distinction between the two. It is as follows: A concept album is a record that follows a distinct story, something like The Wall or Tommy, albums that, no matter how indirectly, tell a story. Whereas thematic albums are simply that, records that just have a consistent theme (Riot Act being a perfect album, a record that concerns itself with certain ideas or events that may be coinciding with the album but are not part of the narrative arc of the record-look anyone who didn't catch on that PJ was political simply hasn't been paying attention.). Really that's all I have but you get it I'm too drunk to articulate any more. I hope this has been clear if not I'll edit it tomorrow when sober
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thanks, this explains quite a bit, although I had never used the term "Concept Album", since I didn't know what it was. Now I do.

Thanks!

By the way, I love Riot Act! What a fantastic concept album!
    Just kidding.