Who knew that Marilyn Manson and Pearl Jam had SO much in common !?!

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Lol ...

check this out ...

i FINALLY got a dimeadozen account (fuckers, been trying for over a year) ...

snagged the MManson -- Portrait of an American Family -- Release Party show ...

funny, they don't play ANY songs from POAAF, but they do play a bunch of covers ...

among them?

I GOT YOU -- split enz ...
WOW! WTF!

Check it out!
http://rapidshare.de/files/33198664/03_I_Got_You__Split_Enz_.flac.html

pretty freakin' cool ...

obviously the guitar work ain't quite as good as the PJ versions ...
but the vocals and the "getting the lyrics correct" ?

eh ... they may win out.

;)
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Lol ...

check this out ...

i FINALLY got a dimeadozen account (fuckers, been trying for over a year) ...

snagged the MManson -- Portrait of an American Family -- Release Party show ...

funny, they don't play ANY songs from POAAF, but they do play a bunch of covers ...

among them?

I GOT YOU -- split enz ...
    WOW! WTF!

Check it out!
    http://rapidshare.de/files/33198664/03_I_Got_You__Split_Enz_.flac.html

pretty freakin' cool ...

obviously the guitar work ain't quite as good as the PJ versions ...
    but the vocals and the "getting the lyrics correct" ?

eh ... they may win out.

;)

LOL Marilyn's done shit loads of covers have you heard his version of Working Class Hero?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • LOL Marilyn's done shit loads of covers have you heard his version of Working Class Hero?

Honestly, no.

My buddy who worked at a Trax Music back in the day used to rave about Manson right when POAA was released ...

I caught them live for the first time on the '94 NIN tour ...
    thought they were fucking amazing.
    Got him to sign the shirt i was wearing ...
    "I was ass fucked by marilyn" ... lol ...

i saw them 2 more times ... once in a very small club in Charlotte, NC ... and once in a slightly bigger club opening for Danzig, with Korn opening (right before korn's first album was released) ...

i gave up after the 3rd show which was JUST before Smells Like Children was released ... i never bought any of the other albums ...

i heard my buddies copy of Anti Christ and was like, "oh man ... what is this shit?" ...

POAA is a fucking all-time classic album ... but the other shit is just not my style.

:(
  • Honestly, no.

My buddy who worked at a Trax Music back in the day used to rave about Manson right when POAA was released ...

Got him to sign the shirt i was wearing ...
    "I was ass fucked by marilyn" ... lol ...

i saw them 2 more times ... once in a very small club in Charlotte, NC ... and once in a slightly bigger club opening for Danzig, with Korn opening (right before korn's first album was released) ...

i gave up after the 3rd show which was JUST before Smells Like Children was released ... i never bought any of the other albums ...

i heard my buddies copy of Anti Christ and was like, "oh man ... what is this shit?" ...

POAA is a fucking all-time classic album ... but the other shit is just not my style.

Its quite interesting to hear some of his covers WCH is pretty much like the original, just accoustic guitar and vocals, but then there is the MM rendition of Five To One which is a good cover, Suicide is Painless, Golden Years there is a lot out there these were just what come to mind, I find cover versions interesting.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Honestly, no.

this was my exact intro also. We got Danzig tickets later finding out Manson was opening (never heard of Korn at that point) and we were beyond fired up. My buddy and I talk about that show to this day.

I am surprised though you have no love for Mechanical Animals which I will defend up and down and around the block as an incredible Cd.

When Portrait came out, I once cleared an entire party out by putting that CD in. I am not a huge fan of that disc however it has moments.
  • Mechanical Animals is infact awesome.:)
  • I can't stand Marilyn Manson, but you gotta realize most of MM hits have been covers. Remember the first hit MM made "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics or "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell or "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode.

Hell MM is practically a cover band... majority of the singles are cover songs.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

mechanical animals kicks arse all over the show - it be feckin magic :D
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • NickyNooch wrote:
    I can't stand Marilyn Manson, but you gotta realize most of MM hits have been covers. Remember the first hit MM made "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics or "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell or "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode.

Hell MM is practically a cover band... majority of the singles are cover songs.

Manson actually had 3 or 4 legitimate singles from Portrait ... Get Your Gunn, Dope Hat, Lunchbox all come to mind ... great fucking album.

What's funny is i really only enjoyed manson BEFORE that "single" (smells like children) came out ... and it was SUPPOSED to be the "Dope Hat" single ... but it turned in to a little EP ...

what is REALLY funny is that when i was down with the band, during the POAAF days, they were getting NO love in the press ...

i remember when Sweet Dreams was released to MTV, the ONLY write up that RStone had done of the band was a little blurb about "another shock-rock band doing another unnecessary cover" ...

i believe that no less than 2 months later, Manson was on the cover of Rolling Stone ... pfffttt ... :rolleyes:

anyhow ... no ... i REALLY don't like mechanical animals ...

Portrait to me is the ONLY album that captures that great Alice Cooper-esque sound mashed up against a White Zombie (circa Astro Creep) hard-rock industrial aesthetic ... not to mention i wasn't too down with the line-up changes ... No more twigy? Who the fuck is Zim-Zum ... etc ...

• Manson actually had 3 or 4 legitimate singles from Portrait ... Get Your Gunn, Dope Hat, Lunchbox all come to mind ... great fucking album.

What's funny is i really only enjoyed manson BEFORE that "single" (smells like children) came out ... and it was SUPPOSED to be the "Dope Hat" single ... but it turned in to a little EP ...

what is REALLY funny is that when i was down with the band, during the POAAF days, they were getting NO love in the press ...

i remember when Sweet Dreams was released to MTV, the ONLY write up that RStone had done of the band was a little blurb about "another shock-rock band doing another unnecessary cover" ...

i believe that no less than 2 months later, Manson was on the cover of Rolling Stone ... pfffttt ... :rolleyes:

anyhow ... no ... i REALLY don't like mechanical animals ...

Portrait to me is the ONLY album that captures that great Alice Cooper-esque sound mashed up against a White Zombie (circa Astro Creep) hard-rock industrial aesthetic ... not to mention i wasn't too down with the line-up changes ... No more twigy? Who the fuck is Zim-Zum ... etc ...

Twiggy was on MA, it was the album after that he left, or was it after Holywood, I know he was on Mechanical Animals coz I saw them on that tour and he was definatley there.:)
  • For those that don't know, Twiggy is now playing bass for NIN. Noticed that at the Portland, ME show that I attended this year. At first I didn't recognize him as he was normally dressed, relatively speaking.

my 2nd fav album of all time
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Twiggy was on MA, it was the album after that he left, or was it after Holywood, I know he was on Mechanical Animals coz I saw them on that tour and he was definatley there.:)

Yeah he left after Holywood
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D