Your 10 Guiltiest Pleasures -- Uh, Songs, People, Songs

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I thought this would be a fun, and yes rather embarrassing, thing to do.

List your top 10 (or 5, if your shy) songs which you consider "guilty pleasures". ADD YOUTUBE LINKS if available!

(sure, all lists are subjective, just do it)

Okay.
As a child of the 80s, my list is pretty "retro". Lol.

1. "Japanese Boy" - Aneka -- early 80's rave anthem? :D
2. "Round and Round" - Ratt -- oh come, now - this is rock!
3. "Man in the Mirror" - Little Michael -- incredible production value, great message, good stuff
4. "Feelin' Satisfied" - Boston -- dude, i said this is guilty pleasures! crank this song drunk and call me after!
5. "Material Girl" - Madonna -- that part at 3:58 just puts it over the top for me. mmm. "a material, a material"
6. "Bad Medicine" - Bon Jovi -- pure ass shaking rock. considered putting "ride cowboy ride" up here, but this is more guilty, imho
7. "Ordinary World (acoustic)" - Duran Duran -- b-side to the 'electric' single. Hey, when UMF came out i was a kid! :D
8. "Deadbeat Club" - B52s -- 80s pop at its best, plus a cameo by M. Stipe! Subtitle "anthem for a gen-x-er".
9. "Top of the World" - Shonen Knife (cover, The Carpenters) -- awe, makes me smile.
10. "Wild Thing" - X -- This is the version from Major League. I love X, 'cheesy' song, or not. :D

Okay.
I tried to put those in approximate order of guiltiness.
I had some some others, some of which i forgot before i could even write, and some of which i just left off -- Berlin "Metro", Belinda Carlisle "Heaven is a Place On Earth", Naked Eye "Something There To Remind Me" and Culture Club "It's A Miracle" in the later group ... tried to keep it rockin' a bit.

Anyway.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR GUILTY PLEASURES.
I don't want to be the only dork!

:D ;D :D
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    ...I've been hiding a secret...
    ...sometimes...

...i listen...

...to...

Avril Lavinge.

I AM GUILTY.
  • Forgive me , but I like Body Count, by Body Count.
  • chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    i've never been able to shake 'alive' by pearl jam. there's just something about that song...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    bovy_j wrote:
    ...sometimes...

...i listen...

...to...

Avril Lavinge.

I AM GUILTY.

HA!!! :D i was listening to miss avril yesterday. though i was doing so in the company of my 8 1/2 year old avril loving daughter. we were doing the whole hairbrush thing(though we actually had mics from said daughter's karaoke machine.) and dancing around the dining room. twas much fun. :D:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I am not embarrassed that I listen to the following bands

My Chemical Romance
    the Killers
    Depeche Mode
    B-52s
    Arctic Monkeys
    the Smiths
    Liz Phair
    Poison
    Tears for Fears
    Terrance Trent D'Arby
    Devo
    The Cars
    New Order

hey, I was a child of the eighties....
    the Minions
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i dont really feel guilty about any of my pleasures, but i do get made fun of for the following groups (no way do i have time to find youtube links or pick particular songs):

1. hanson
    2. pink
    3. bryan adams
    4. kid rock
    5. jamiroquai
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    i dont really feel guilty about any of my pleasures, but i do get made fun of for the following groups (no way do i have time to find youtube links or pick particular songs):

1. hanson
    2. pink
    3. bryan adams
    4. kid rock
    5. jamiroquai
    Jamiroquai Rule!

My (and my entire group of friends) guilty pleasure: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj65TbIjADE

For those who don't know, these guys were a highly successful boyband in Britain and Ireland in the late 90s, and they had some ridiculously catchy songs. Not sure if they made it to the US. They even did a cover of We will Rock You WITH BRIAN MAY! Every party I go to we play a few 5ive songs. Great fun :D
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • I've said it before, but I'm a sucker for pretty much anything by Bryan Adams.

Everything I do (I do it for you) is my favourite song.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I don't feel guilty but uh, I just heard this song called Ready,Set,Go by Tokio Hotel. :o Its just way too catchy and bouncy. I want to teach an aerobic routine to it!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    i like the song apologise by one republic and timbaland.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Journey, Phil Collins, lots of 80's new wave........wouldnt ever say I am embarrassed about anything I listen to though
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I've said it before, but I'm a sucker for pretty much anything by Bryan Adams.

Everything I do (I do it for you) is my favourite song.

you need to see the tv show 'arrested development.' you will never hear that song the same way again ;)
  • I said to someone I liked Pearl Jam, the other day. They took that as my guilty pleasure. I told them to fuck off. :D
  • eoboeobo Posts: 102
    I said to someone I liked Pearl Jam, the other day. They took that as my guilty pleasure. I told them to fuck off. :D

you would actually be surprised how many people that has happened to (and the "fuck off" part tends to be the same too)
    heh, keep her lit.

Dublin, 23/08/2006 = Lifechanging! X D

Katowice, 13/06/2007 = Phenomenal = )

London, 18/06/2007 = Pretty darn sweet = )

London Poster Wanted, PM if you have one for sale = )
  • bovy_j wrote:
    ...sometimes...

...i listen...

...to...

Avril Lavinge.

I AM GUILTY.
    +1
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jamiroquai Rule!

My (and my entire group of friends) guilty pleasure: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj65TbIjADE

For those who don't know, these guys were a highly successful boyband in Britain and Ireland in the late 90s, and they had some ridiculously catchy songs. Not sure if they made it to the US. They even did a cover of We will Rock You WITH BRIAN MAY! Every party I go to we play a few 5ive songs. Great fun :D

I always gave Jamiroquai more credit than the "boy band" bit, since they were popular with all my extremely hard-core Rave friends.

That, and the band was on Jamie Oliver's show when he had his little cooking show. Lol. I miss Jamie Oliver.
    :D

Anyhow.
    Not so guilty on the Jamiroquai, me thinks.
    Even if it's not your style, they had talent and what they did they innovated.
    They were NOT a "boy band". Maybe you are a younger fan, but Jamiroqai was a WELL respected EARLY "techno"\"electronica" based live performance act ... back when it was called ACID JAZZ. :D
    They were more "live" than Dubtribe Sound System (defunct, so sad), even. :D
  • 1. BBD - Do Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cylqo8Hh_7g
    2. Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WjOn5TNjBM
    3. Def Leppard - Rock of Ages http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNOZegkVXo
    4. The Go Go's - We Got The Beat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDenT2n49tg
    5. Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants to rule the world http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOA4ixV-3jU
    NERDS!
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    journeyman wrote:
    Forgive me , but I like Body Count, by Body Count.

Body Count Mutha FuckaHHHHHHH

why guilty here it is a great album

Well I have a soft spot for John Denver, Neil Diamond, most 80's pop music, and Michael Jackson is always going to be the man.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I always gave Jamiroquai more credit than the "boy band" bit, since they were popular with all my extremely hard-core Rave friends.

That, and the band was on Jamie Oliver's show when he had his little cooking show. Lol. I miss Jamie Oliver.
    :D

Anyhow.
    Not so guilty on the Jamiroquai, me thinks.
    Even if it's not your style, they had talent and what they did they innovated.
    They were NOT a "boy band". Maybe you are a younger fan, but Jamiroqai was a WELL respected EARLY "techno"\"electronica" based live performance act ... back when it was called ACID JAZZ. :D
    They were more "live" than Dubtribe Sound System (defunct, so sad), even. :D
    I never calle them a boy band. I was referring to the Five video I posted.
    Jamiroquai are ridiculously talented.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    DarkStar wrote:
    i like the song apologise by one republic and timbaland.

ds

This song have been stuck in my head for at least 2 weeks, great beat......
  • 1. "Japanese Boy" - Aneka -- early 80's rave anthem? :D
    2. "Round and Round" - Ratt -- oh come, now - this is rock!
    3. "Man in the Mirror" - Little Michael -- incredible production value, great message, good stuff
    4. "Feelin' Satisfied" - Boston -- dude, i said this is guilty pleasures! crank this song drunk and call me after!
    5. "Material Girl" - Madonna -- that part at 3:58 just puts it over the top for me. mmm. "a material, a material"
    6. "Bad Medicine" - Bon Jovi -- pure ass shaking rock. considered putting "ride cowboy ride" up here, but this is more guilty, imho
    7. "Ordinary World (acoustic)" - Duran Duran -- b-side to the 'electric' single. Hey, when UMF came out i was a kid! :D
    8. "Deadbeat Club" - B52s -- 80s pop at its best, plus a cameo by M. Stipe! Subtitle "anthem for a gen-x-er".
    9. "Top of the World" - Shonen Knife (cover, The Carpenters) -- awe, makes me smile.
    10. "Wild Thing" - X -- This is the version from Major League. I love X, 'cheesy' song, or not. :D

TEN MORE, Cause I'm Bored:

"Monday Morning" - Fleetwood Mac
    "Metro" - Berlin
    "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" - Pat Benatar
    "Mad About You" - Belinda Carlisle
    "Hot Blooded" - Foreigner
    "Leather & Lace" - Stevie Nicks & Don Henley
    "Do Ya" & "Rock 'N' Roll Is King" - Electric Light Orchestra
    "Take It On The Run - REO Speedwagon
    "The Longest Time" - Billy Joel
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 927
    bovy_j wrote:
    ...sometimes...

...i listen...

...to...

Avril Lavinge.

I AM GUILTY.

ahh fuck it...

I have all her albums :o
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    "Oiled garbage bag? Sweat sock? Oh, my God! Number three... melon heated in microwave!"

"I misunderstood the question!"
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I'm not really ashamed of any of them, but my indie friends give me shit for:

Lifehouse
    Better Than Ezra
    Coldplay
    Silverchair
    Matt Nathanson
    Jack Johnson
    The Fray
    One Republic
    Michelle Branch
    Matt Costa
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    little willy.......the sweet
    istanbul, not constantinoble........the four lads
    with her head tucked underneath her arm.......the kingston trio
    don't let us get sick.......warren zevon
    sweet city woman.......can't remember the band
    neandrathal man.......hot legs
    cowboy song.......thin lizzy
    rock and roll alien.......reggie knighton band
    abandoned lunchenette.......daryl hall and john oates
    just one victory.......todd rundgren
  • pretty much any 80s new wave.

california love by tupac.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    TEN MORE, Cause I'm Bored:

"Monday Morning" - Fleetwood Mac
    "Metro" - Berlin
    "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" - Pat Benatar
    "Mad About You" - Belinda Carlisle
    "Hot Blooded" - Foreigner
    "Leather & Lace" - Stevie Nicks & Don Henley
    "Do Ya" & "Rock 'N' Roll Is King" - Electric Light Orchestra
    "Take It On The Run - REO Speedwagon
    "The Longest Time" - Billy Joel

Aint no shame to love Mrs. Patty Benatar. Love is a Battlefield is awesome.

Me?: Well, I love Michael Jackson's Thriller.
    ...but it's really a guilty pleasure because i'm not afraid to admit to it.

But I have some CD's I'm ashame of. Bush's 16 Stones, No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom, Modest Mouse's the album with "Float On", Jose Gonzales' Veneer.
    a few others too.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Everything on Rocky IV & Top Gun soundtracks !!!

Probably more embarrassing than that is the song 'Sleeping with the Lights on' by Busted !!!!!
    I shouldn't have said that.......
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • I like lots of things. But I get a LOT of crap for liking the Goo Goo Dolls.