Options

Radiohead-Pink Floyd

shahrilshahril Posts: 288
edited January 2006 in Other Music
ok theres a thread on the porch about bands which may be held at a higher regard than pj

whilst i wouldn discuss it here..my question is..is it just me who sees parrallels between floyd and rhead?

how many of u would honestly say that rhead are not the most innovative and unique band of this generation, and that includes pj. the way dark side of the moon blew people away is very similar to how ok computer did that dont u think?

yeah there are many many albums and bands that rock u out and just gives u energy listening to them..or that u would categorise as great..Ten, Vs., Appetite for Destruction, what else have we got, ermm.. ok Nevermind, The White Album

but dont u think listening to radiohead gives u the 'wow....' factor and u end up just sitting back and reflecting on what u just heard..just the innovation in the sound, the musical arrangements..just like pink floyd?

i have a real strong feeling that in 20 years from now..radiohead will be regarded in the same group as floyd, beatles, stones, zeppelin..u know..bands that REALLY revolutionised how rock music sounds.

or is this radiohead loving thing just me?
I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Me and my friends have talked about this before. Radiohead are one of the few bands around these days who are constantly moving forward and trying new things And they rarely falter. in this way they are progressive (without ever falling into the 'prog' genre). Of course the Floyd comparisons are inevitable (You're not alone in thinking this). In 20 years time Radiohead will be remembered in the same way Floyd are now.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Me and my friends have talked about this before. Radiohead are one of the few bands around these days who are constantly moving forward and trying new things And they rarely falter. in this way they are progressive (without ever falling into the 'prog' genre). Of course the Floyd comparisons are inevitable (You're not alone in thinking this). In 20 years time Radiohead will be remembered in the same way Floyd are now.

thats nice to know...most of my friends are not into rock, nevermind radiohead..probably never heard of them or floyd..the ones that are into them are really into them, thats cool but 2 people is hardly representative.

does it surprise u..that in my time here in the UK, i have yet to meet a SINGLE radiohead fan.. wtf????
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I have made this argument before to a hardcore Pink Floyd fan that you can look at today's music scene and Radiohead are the only band who you can compare to Pink Floyd when they were young and making albums, in that, they are constantly evolving and creating challenging music that is mind-altering, progressive and unique and that challenges the listener.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Thing is, Radiohead had the hits early on, and now they don't. The inverse is true for Floyd.

I'll still take Oceansize or Porcupine Tree over current Radiohead stuff.
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    tool

if you don't believe this now, wait till april
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    Radiohead will never ever be near as good as teh Floyd!

And as the above stated...Tool is the best at doing new things
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Tool has been doing the same thing since 1996, I don't know what you are talking about.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I disagree about Tool doing the same thing since '96. They came out with Undertow in what, like 1993? And Aenima sounds completely different from Undertow. Lateralus was a huge step forward from Aenima in that the whole album coheres and deals with pretty broad themes not found in earlier Tool (Parabol/Parabola, for example). This coherence (the album is extremely effective if listened to in one sitting) invites inevitable Pink Floyd comparisons.

I believe that Tool is pretty much head and shoulders above everyone else, excepting Radiohead, in terms of what's left of the 'prog' genre. I don't feel the need to defend or detract from Tool for the sake of either Pink Floyd or Radiohead. I appreciate all three. And if you want to say that Tool is derivative (which nobody has said here) then they steal most from King Crimson, in terms of overall ambience. And Radiohead has done their own cribbing - listen to Subterrean Homesick Alien and with a straight face tell me that doesn't have the soul of a pink floyd song.

By the way...when Lateralus came out, Fred Durst stated something along the lines that Tool was untouchable. I can't believe that I agree with something that Fred Durst said...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Tool has been doing the same thing since 1996, I don't know what you are talking about.
    Wow.

Please lengthen your message.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I just think Aenima and Lateralus sound very simliar. Lateralus might be more polished, and address different subject matter, but I don't think the general Tool sound has fundamental changed. I'm not saying they are bad, I rather enjoy both albums. I just don't think they really sound all that different from each other. If you really want to get entirely nitpicky I am sure you could find a million things, but in the grand scheme of it, I don't think they are that different in scope. It is like comparing Geogaddi[ to Music Has The RIght To Children (Boards of Canada). Sure they have some subtle differences, one is darker in tone than the other etc, but they are basically the same beast.

I don't really know if I am making myself clear, or if hordes of Tool fans who are locked in the mindset that their band is the most innovative thing since the Beatles will just tear into me and call me an idiot because I "can't tell the difference" between two albums. Anyways. Another way of ptting it is that I don't really think Tool is tracking any new ground for themselves.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    Does anyone think The Mars Volta may get to or near that higher regard? I'm kind of late to the scene as I just picked up De-Loused in the Comatorium and I can see some similarities to Floyd as well. I have yet to pick up my first Radiohead album though. I just got Riot Act and the Wolfmother CD as well (love them all btw).
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    U-RU-R Posts: 223
    shahril wrote:
    whilst i wouldn discuss it here..my question is..is it just me who sees parrallels between floyd and rhead?

how many of u would honestly say that rhead are not the most innovative and unique band of this generation, and that includes pj. the way dark side of the moon blew people away is very similar to how ok computer did that dont u think?
    i have a real strong feeling that in 20 years from now..radiohead will be regarded in the same group as floyd, beatles, stones, zeppelin..u know..bands that REALLY revolutionised how rock music sounds.

or is this radiohead loving thing just me?

i'm not a huge fan of radiohead but do hugely respect them.

i agree that they are amongst the most innovative and unique bands of the era, but i don't think they'll quite be remembered in a similar way to floyd or the beatles. they won't have a place in history as a full fledged legendary group in their day such as nirvana or metallica. they'll be remembered more as a rush or zappa type (historically, not musicaly that is), a band who's influence wasn't really felt untill well after the fact
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Options
    U-RU-R Posts: 223
    Echoes wrote:
    I don't really know if I am making myself clear, or if hordes of Tool fans who are locked in the mindset that their band is the most innovative thing since the Beatles will just tear into me and call me an idiot because I "can't tell the difference" between two albums. Anyways. Another way of ptting it is that I don't really think Tool is tracking any new ground for themselves.

i'm going a little off topic here, but i think that's a very valid point. i adore tool and i disagree with your opinions about them "not tracking any new ground" but it must be said that a certain portion of tool's fanbase are indeed locked into their mindset to the point of being tunnel-visioned. kind of ironic since tool are so much about self-sufficiency and personal evolution
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Options
    Although I like both of them and I think Floyd has influenced Radiohead I don't think Ok Computer will ever be as great as Dark Side of the Moon.

EDIT: Hey check it out my 666th post.
  • Options
    IMO radiohead had a lot of potential to release some truly groundbreaking music but instead they went and made some kind of introverted,introspective arty bollocks that no-one really listens to anymore,considering how much they were loved during the bends and ok computer,id like them to be remembered for those great albums and not the shite they've had out since........
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
  • Options
    IMO radiohead had a lot of potential to release some truly groundbreaking music but instead they went and made some kind of introverted,introspective arty bollocks that no-one really listens to anymore,considering how much they were loved during the bends and ok computer,id like them to be remembered for those great albums and not the shite they've had out since........

kid a and amnesiac were shite? come on!! u gotta be kidding me..

and HTTT was a solid record..i dont get how u can say that radiohead produced introspective arty bollocks...

how can u categorise something like kid a and amnesiac as that..theyve never been done before, it was truy groundbreaking.
    and i respect their integrity in not doing ok computer 2. no 2 albums should sound the same...otherwise ull end up like oasis

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    OK Computer part 2 could have never happened with these guys.

I agree, Kid A is a masterpiece, and Amnesiac was certainly close. I doubt very highly that people who are fans of Radiohead do not appreciate these albums.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    shahril wrote:

and HTTT was a solid record..i dont get how u can say that radiohead produced introspective arty bollocks...

how can u categorise something like kid a and amnesiac as that..theyve never been done before, it was truy groundbreaking.
    and i respect their integrity in not doing ok computer 2. no 2 albums should sound the same...otherwise ull end up like oasis

I was a big fan for years,saw them supporting james when james were at their peak and thom yorke had mad white hair!

I just thought they went up their own asses a bit,they started listening to 'can' and trying to do a modern version of that.....so it has all been done before,they thought they could do it but i never worked imo. fair play if you like them but i dont think its them anymore. It like listening to bjork,just feckin nuts music that doesnt make much sense to me anymore.........:)
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
  • Options
    I love Radiohead. IMO they peaked with Kid A, great record I think their last 2 records were very hit and miss,with HTTT having more hit then miss... CAn't wait to hear their new stuff. Should be out this year, no..?
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    The Bends and Pablo Honey are really good imo. Some stuff on Hail to the Thief is plain scary. I dunno about the egos in Radiohead, but it seems they are overdoin things just to be different. They do push boundaries though, and that is whats important.

Very few bands come close to the greatness of Pink Floyd, and imo Radiohead isnt one of them.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    The Bends and Pablo Honey are really good imo. Some stuff on Hail to the Thief is plain scary. I dunno about the egos in Radiohead, but it seems they are overdoin things just to be different. They do push boundaries though, and that is whats important.

Very few bands come close to the greatness of Pink Floyd, and imo Radiohead isnt one of them.

exactly,to compare these with pink floyd is just plain lunatic........

it beggars belief!!
  • Options
    exactly,to compare these with pink floyd is just plain lunatic........

it beggars belief!!

to be fair..u have to wait it out after a decade at least..to see how the music landscape has or has not changed to judge the 'greatness' of a band. dont u think pink floyd truly became great once people got the late 80s and they reflect on the great records they made..

im willing to bet that in 10-15 years time...when we look back at ok computer and kid a we'll see what great records they were..and to be fair..they really havent produced anything less than 'good' since then have they? u cant really have complains with any of the albums except for pablo honey which was same ol same ol normal stuff back then..

but from the bends up to HTTT, theyve produced good-great wouldn u say?

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    shahril wrote:
    to be fair..u have to wait it out after a decade at least..to see how the music landscape has or has not changed to judge the 'greatness' of a band. dont u think pink floyd truly became great once people got the late 80s and they reflect on the great records they made..

im willing to bet that in 10-15 years time...when we look back at ok computer and kid a we'll see what great records they were..and to be fair..they really havent produced anything less than 'good' since then have they? u cant really have complains with any of the albums except for pablo honey which was same ol same ol normal stuff back then..

but from the bends up to HTTT, theyve produced good-great wouldn u say?

The great British bands of the past, Floyd, Zeppelin, Beatles that branched out from the basic blues were treated with great irreverance. If they were perfoming new material, the crowd sat silently during the songs. People knew these bands were legendary even as they continued to put out new material.

Radiohead will be viewed as a great band, but not up to the legendary status of the big boys.
  • Options
    WESWES Posts: 168
    Being classified as legendary in this day in age is next to impossible...Almost everything has been done before...And when bands such as Radiohead, come out with something new and extremely great, people love comparing them to the legends like Pink Floyd...By comparing current bands to such acts of the past is totally illogical...The music scene has changed so much since floyd released dark side or the beatles created the white album....Those who rank the Bends and Pablo as Radioheads greatest albums are truely narrowminded...Those albums were Radiohead's foot in the door by creating the similar rock to the next mainstream band, which so many of you love and adore...Radiohead's truely became great with the release of OK Computer, and every release following it has been a step forward or at least on the same plane as OK....Consecutive release of such great, and amazingly differnt albums is extremely rare...And as much as I love Pearl Jam...the same cannot be said about them.....

Ill catch a fair amount of shit for this...But, please stop making these trivial comparisons between bands of the present, and those from 20 years ago....
  • Options
    WES wrote:
    Being classified as legendary in this day in age is next to impossible...Almost everything has been done before...And when bands such as Radiohead, come out with something new and extremely great, people love comparing them to the legends like Pink Floyd...By comparing current bands to such acts of the past is totally illogical...The music scene has changed so much since floyd released dark side or the beatles created the white album....Those who rank the Bends and Pablo as Radioheads greatest albums are truely narrowminded...Those albums were Radiohead's foot in the door by creating the similar rock to the next mainstream band, which so many of you love and adore...Radiohead's truely became great with the release of OK Computer, and every release following it has been a step forward or at least on the same plane as OK....Consecutive release of such great, and amazingly differnt albums is extremely rare...And as much as I love Pearl Jam...the same cannot be said about them.....

Ill catch a fair amount of shit for this...But, please stop making these trivial comparisons between bands of the present, and those from 20 years ago....

Changin doesnt necassarily mean good. Not to say that Radioheads output is weak, but it almost seems like they change for simple sake of changing.
    With Radiohead there is no point of reference. Great bands have a familiarity about their albums, but also a great deal of change. They evolve they dont go from monkey to man in one album.
    Not a comparison, but with Floyd you have the Syd and post Syd. You can listen to them and slowly hear Waters take control and Gilmour take second in command. You can put anything from Meddle to the Wall together and that same basic style is there.
  • Options
    Radiohead and Pink Floyd

they're both wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead of their comtemporaries.. and they're both brilliant... and english.

In fact, Radiohead are so good that anyone who says "they're so overrated,.. they suck.. (etc).." is labeled deaf and dumb in my book,... despite anything else they listen to. (Plus most of the people that seem to say that haven't actually listened to Radiohead....)

Radiohead and Pearl Jam are easily the two best active bands in the world right now. (smashing pumpkins will give them a run for it in April when they reunite :) )
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    shahril wrote:

Like i said.. "deaf and dumb"

i agree with you.

i think while HTTT broke through new areas of music they hadn't been to before, it still managed to find an amazing middle ground between records like Kid A, the Bends, and Ok Computer.

The Bends and Ok Computer are simply mindblowing.... but so are the rest of the albums...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Other bands that are ground breaking like Pink Floyd and Radiohead but don't seem to get as much attention:

CAN
    Television
    The Velvet Underground
    Sonic Youth
    KK Null
    Acid Mothers Temple
    Joy Division
    The Pixies
    My Bloody Valentine
  • Options
    Radiohead and Pink Floyd

they're both wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead of their comtemporaries.. and they're both brilliant... and english.

In fact, Radiohead are so good that anyone who says "they're so overrated,.. they suck.. (etc).." is labeled deaf and dumb in my book,... despite anything else they listen to. (Plus most of the people that seem to say that haven't actually listened to Radiohead....)

Radiohead and Pearl Jam are easily the two best active bands in the world right now. (smashing pumpkins will give them a run for it in April when they reunite :) )

I would say, as of right now, the Black Crowes have to be up there. They were on a tear last year. Tool also deserves a mention. And honestly, the Mars Volta are blowin Tool and Radiohead outta the water as far as tripped out music goes, but then again neither has released an album since TMV formed.