Cliche music phrases/things you hate!

lephtylephty Posts: 770
edited October 2007 in Other Music
you know what i hate?

people that talk about indie music. it seems that most indie listeners have to name as many bands possible to prove how indie they are.

and a phrase i hate the most -

"i liked them before they sold out"

now you share something!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    "i thought they broke up? they never did anything decent after ten anyway"

:rolleyes:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    'So, what are your favourite CDs'

"Oh, I just download"
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • People who listen to nothing but what's on the radio

People who think they're better than other people because none of the bands they like are played on the radio

The vast majority of metal fans

Every RAC band in existance sounding like a Skrewdriver clone while Skrewdriver themselves ran out of good ideas by album 2 or so

The vast majority of classical fans, I wanna be able to lay in a pile of filth while wearing ripped jeans and listening to Mozart without being judge by the upper class

Dancehall
  • D.C.D.C. Posts: 20
    mutherfuckin geg!!

i cant deal with people who say "party like a rockstar"..ridiculous
  • godeatgod wrote:

The vast majority of classical fans, I wanna be able to lay in a pile of filth while wearing ripped jeans and listening to Mozart without being judge by the upper class

Yep. There's a lot about Mozart that still resists the strenuous efforts of the ruling classes to assimilate him into the dominant bollocks of this world. He's like Shakespeare in that respect. The more the State champions him, the more something in his genius says, fuck off, I'm nothing to do with the cliches you use to constrain me.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    "so what do you listen to?"

"Everything."

No you don't. Just tell me what the fuck you listen to.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • "i think nickelback is the best rock band around today" ....one of my friends said this when we were driving to canada and i couldnt believe it, i didnt even respond to him because i was in such belief
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    "so what do you listen to?"

"Everything."

Haha, so true. I mean, EVERYBODY listens to more than one style of music, so just tell us what you like the most! That's obviously the point of the question.

Oh, and here's another one that I loathe:

"Yeah, it's pretty good. They kinda sound like Creed."
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • "so what do you listen to?"

"Everything."

My reply when someone tells me "everything" is, "so, tell me about 20's big band music then..."
    4/23/03 - Champaign, IL
    5/16/06 - Chicago, IL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    5/4/10 - St Louis, MO

...tickle my nausea...
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    The fact that people think EMO is actually a genre of music and use it to trash bands they don't like.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    godeatgod wrote:
    People who listen to nothing but what's on the radio

People who think they're better than other people because none of the bands they like are played on the radio

Yup i was going to say "i've never heard of that, it's not on radio"

even in relation to people not knowing of songs by pearl jam and ben harper and quite mainstream artists.

And people who say "everything" of their taste in music when it only consists the latest top 40 rnb/pop music.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    boroff89 wrote:
    The fact that people think EMO is actually a genre of music and use it to trash bands they don't like.

It has become the generic insult for shitty music.

Which brings up something else...

If you are going to hate on something, at least construct a valid argument as to why a band sucks.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    It has become the generic insult for shitty music.

Which brings up something else...

If you are going to hate on something, at least construct a valid argument as to why a band sucks.

Thank you.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    "I don't like female singers."
    Never heard this one in person, but I've read it online numerous times. I wasn't going to participate, but then this magically popped into my head . . .

And I have to agree with the "I listen to everything" comments. I found with more than one college roommate on move-in day that this basically means "I listen to whatever 's popular." I on the other hand came right out and said "Not me, I only listen to rock music." That in itself was a lie, but I was feeling contrary.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Insert city name.....rocks. There is no place like insert city name.

Glad to see the Simpsons take a few shots at this with Aerosmith and Spinal Tap.

Hello St. Louis. It's Springfield, Steve. Ah yeah.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    soclose wrote:
    "I don't like female singers."
    Never heard this one in person, but I've read it online numerous times. I wasn't going to participate, but then this magically popped into my head . . .

I dunno if I would say I don't like female singers, but I can't think of any female singers that I care to listen to. Some Fleetwood Mac is ok, as is some Heart, but overall, I can't say I actually like any bands with female lead singers, but I think it has just as much to do with the music.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    "If it wasn't for (insert band) there would be no (insert band)."

drives me insane.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I dunno if I would say I don't like female singers, but I can't think of any female singers that I care to listen to. Some Fleetwood Mac is ok, as is some Heart, but overall, I can't say I actually like any bands with female lead singers, but I think it has just as much to do with the music.

It's not that I'm bothered by others' taste, it's more so that I'm bothered by the "I don't like any ______" kind of statement. Usually it's "I don't like any rap or country", but when women come in (or more commonly "chicks") it crosses the line for me. How does a person know he/she wouldn't enjoy ANY country band, any rapper, or any woman-fronted band? It's the generalizations that get me. (For the record, I'm not saying you made any such claim.) There's a difference between admitting you can't think of a female-lead band you like and simply stating that you don't like any woman musician.

By the way, I'm willing to admit that I tend to get caught up in the details! I'm just explaining away my initial complaint here.:)
  • D.C.D.C. Posts: 20
    soclose wrote:
    I'm bothered by the "I don't like any ______" kind of statement. How does a person know he/she wouldn't enjoy ANY country band?

ive heard 6,000,000 country songs and like about 2

im gonna make the generalization that i wont like the others and be pretty confident about it

and yeah same with the chick bands too..well unless its soulIIsoul
  • godeatgod wrote:

transplant wrote:
    "If it wasn't for (insert band) there would be no (insert band)."

drives me insane.

These two.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • I want to get back to the term "sellout." It is hands down the most overused term ever. It has lost ALL meaning.

"Their new album sounds so different, they're sellouts"

"Their new album sounds just like the last one, they're sellouts"

"Metallica isn't angry anymore. they're sellouts"

"U2 changed their sound in the 90's, they're sellouts"

"U2 went back to a safer sound in 2000, they're sellouts"

"Pearl Jam stayed out of the spotlight for 8 years. they're sellouts"

"Pearl Jam did promos for Avocado, they're sellouts"

"Bands that let their songs in video games are sellouts"

I have gotten to the point where I refuse to talk to anyone who uses the term "sellout" any more
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Yep. There's a lot about Mozart that still resists the strenuous efforts of the ruling classes to assimilate him into the dominant bollocks of this world. He's like Shakespeare in that respect. The more the State champions him, the more something in his genius says, fuck off, I'm nothing to do with the cliches you use to constrain me.

As crazy as this remark is on first read (The State?), it makes sense. His work transcends bullshit. That cliche shit though, that affected how he was perceived for a long time. --> proof that people are idiots.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Alessiana wrote:
    As crazy as this remark is on first read (The State?), it makes sense. His work transcends bullshit. That cliche shit though, that affected how he was perceived for a long time. --> proof that people are idiots.

It's only crazy if you haven't any academic knowledge of art and ideology.
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    It's only crazy if you haven't any academic knowledge of art and ideology.

God if you're talking about Hitler, JC. OK fine. Not where I would have taken this.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • soclose wrote:
    It's not that I'm bothered by others' taste, it's more so that I'm bothered by the "I don't like any ______" kind of statement. Usually it's "I don't like any rap or country", but when women come in (or more commonly "chicks") it crosses the line for me. How does a person know he/she wouldn't enjoy ANY country band, any rapper, or any woman-fronted band? It's the generalizations that get me. (For the record, I'm not saying you made any such claim.) There's a difference between admitting you can't think of a female-lead band you like and simply stating that you don't like any woman musician.

By the way, I'm willing to admit that I tend to get caught up in the details! I'm just explaining away my initial complaint here.:)

I can honestly say there isn't one rap song out there that I like, and 99% of country music is worthless to me, especially the drivel that Wal Mart plays in the mornings
    4/23/03 - Champaign, IL
    5/16/06 - Chicago, IL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    5/4/10 - St Louis, MO

...tickle my nausea...
  • "i think nickelback is the best rock band around today" ....one of my friends said this when we were driving to canada and i couldnt believe it, i didnt even respond to him because i was in such belief

Ton's of people say that around Western NY....I just laugh and don't even start with them because they refuse to take anyone else's opinion. Another one my friend said the other night:

"Dude, Tool sucks, Maynard is a fag......he totally is, what do you think Prison Sex is about, him getting raped in prison. Don't you hear the lyrics 'Tell Bob to come over and cum in my hands'"

I just laughed and said Maynard never went to prison. Then he went on a big spree trying to tell me how much Perry Farrell and Scott Weiland are gay too because of how they are on stage.
  • "I love grunge"
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • I hate when a rapper uses the following tired lyric....

"Put you hands in the air and wave them like you just don't care."

Seriously isn't it the hip hop law that you have to utter that phrase at least once?
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-