Bob Dylan covers the bases with summer tour

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
edited July 2006 in Other Music
http://www.livedaily.com/news/Bob_Dylan_covers_the_bases_with_summer_tour-10323.html?t=97

Bob Dylan covers the bases with summer tour

June 29, 2006 03:11 PM
by Jon Zahlaway
liveDaily Senior Writer
For the third summer in a row, folk/rock legend Bob Dylan (tickets | music) will mount a tour of minor-league ballparks throughout the US, in the midst of which he'll release a new studio album.

The outing, dubbed The Bob Dylan Show, gets underway in mid-August, and is scheduled to make stops in 17 ballparks by early September. Tickets, which go on sale next month, will be priced at $49.50, and children under 12 get in free with each adult ticket holder, according to organizers. On-sale dates are included in the itinerary below.

Joining Dylan and his band on the run will be guitarist Jimmie Vaughan (tickets | music)--brother of the late Stevie Ray Vaughan--featuring veteran roadhouse singer Lou Ann Barton (tickets | music) and Austin-based musician Junior Brown (tickets | music), who plays "a demonic hybrid 'guit-steel' instrument, a combination 6-string electric guitar and pedal steel guitar, a device he cooked up one night in a dream," according to a press release.

Elana James, who fronted the country-swing trio Hot Club of Cowtown, will open the show backed by her new band, The Continental Two.

On Aug. 29, Dylan issues "Modern Times," his 44th album and first new set in five years.

According to Columbia Records, the album features 10 new Dylan originals he recorded this winter with his touring band--guitarists Stu Kimball and Denny Freeman, multi-instrumentalist Donnie Herron, bassist Tony Garnier and drummer George Recile. Dylan sang and played keyboards, guitars, and harmonica.

Though "Modern Times" will mark Dylan's first new album in five years, he has kept busy in the interim by touring extensively. His profile has been especially high in recent years, thanks to the 2004 release of the first volume of his memoirs, "Chronicles," as well as last year's Martin Scorsese-directed film "No Direction Home," which documented Dylan's early career.

Tour Itinerary

[Note: The following tour itinerary has been provided by artist and/or tour sources, who verify its accuracy as of the publication time of this story. Changes may occur before tickets go on sale. Check with official artist websites, ticketing sources and venues for late updates.]

August 2006
12 - Comstock Park, MI - Fifth Third Ballpark (on sale 7/8)
13 - Columbus, OH - Cooper Stadium (on sale 7/8)
15 - Lexington, KY - Applebee's Park (on sale 7/8)
17 - Augusta, GA - Lake Olmstead Stadium (on sale 7/8)
18 - Winston-Salem, NC - Ernie Shore Field (on sale 7/8)
19 - Frederick, MD - Harry Grove Stadium (on sale 7/8)
20 - Washington, PA - Falconi Field (on sale 7/15)
23 - Reading, PA - First Energy Stadium (on sale 7/15)
24 - Pawtucket, RI - McCoy Stadium (on sale 7/15)
26 - Pittsfield, MA - Wahconah Park (on sale 7/8)
27 - Manchester, NH - Merchantsauto.com Stadium (on sale 7/8)
29 - New Britain, CT - New Britain Stadium (on sale 7/15)
30 - Rochester, NY - Frontier Field (on sale 7/15)

September 2006
1 - Wappingers Falls, NY - Dutchess Stadium (on sale 7/15)
2 - Cooperstown, NY - Doubleday Field (on sale 7/15)
3 - University Park, PA - Medlar Field at Lubrano Park
5 - Fort Wayne, IN - Memorial Stadium (on sale 7/22)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Damn it, the rumor had been that he was going to come to the PNW and play at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma. I sure as hell hope that still happens.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I saw him and Willie Nelson last summer in downtown Memphis. In fact, it was a year ago this weekend.

What a great night that was! Go see Bob every chance you get for as long as he's still doing what he does best.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    August 12! Comstock Park is within 20 minutes drive of me. I'm excited. I hope I can make the money.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • see y'all in Reading.

;)
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • HOLY SHIT HE'S COMING TO WINSTON SALEM

and apparently he's playing guitar.. i heard his arthritus had limited him to piano..

Dylan is my god.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    HOLY SHIT HE'S COMING TO WINSTON SALEM

and apparently he's playing guitar.. i heard his arthritus had limited him to piano..

Dylan is my god.

when is he coming to winston?
    never mind, i just saw it....
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    I can't believe he doesn't have any Minnesota dates in there. We're your home state Bob, come to us. It's been almost a year since I saw you last.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm definitely driving down to good old Ernie Shore for the Winston-Salem date on August 18th!!!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

"Make our day"
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I used to love going to the Warthogs games when I was a kid (Spirits too for that matter). I grew up in Kernersville so there wasn't a lot to do as a teen. Always went for the fireworks on July 4th.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    HOLY SHIT HE'S COMING TO WINSTON SALEM

Dylan is my god.

Last summer it was keys and harp only.

Glad to hear he's back to the six-string! Now I HAVE to go see one of these shows.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    I don't believe he's played guitar since he did a short instrumental on it in 2004
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Just got my Reading tickets.

The opening bands are incredible too.
  • I don't believe he's played guitar since he did a short instrumental on it in 2004
    That's what i thought, but on his new album he says he plays guitar. :D
    adam wrote:
    I grew up in Kernersville so there wasn't a lot to do as a teen.

haha no shit, nothing's changed either :p

"Make our day"
  • startin to get excited...

:D
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    I don't believe he's played guitar since he did a short instrumental on it in 2004

i think this is true and i wouldn't expect him to start playing guitar for this new tour....maybe he played it for the new cd but my bets are he will not being playing guitar on this tour. prove me wrong, please!

anyhoo...i also wanted to comment on dylan's decision to keep tickets under $50. he's got all the money he could ever want and he knows how to treat/keep his long time loyal fans, by NOT overcharging them for concert tickets!
  • i think this is true and i wouldn't expect him to start playing guitar for this new tour....maybe he played it for the new cd but my bets are he will not being playing guitar on this tour. prove me wrong, please!

anyhoo...i also wanted to comment on dylan's decision to keep tickets under $50. he's got all the money he could ever want and he knows how to treat/keep his long time loyal fans, by NOT overcharging them for concert tickets!
    yeah, plus a bunch of badass opening acts and minor league stadiums...
    it's perfect.

can't wait.
  • anyone else do the preorder with the codes from his site?

I'm wondering when they tell us the info about where to be and when to get in early.

anyone know?
  • tonight's the night.

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    tonight's the night.

How was the show???
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    How was the show???
    Animal - GREAT.
    So, so good.

Cross another legend off the list.
    I can't even explain. Just to be there - six or seven people back, right up close.
    his band is SO SO good. the openers were great too.

Here's the review from the Reading, PA newspaper...it's spot on except for his voice - sounded like it always does - he changes the delivery, so it was hard to sing along - but I knew that going in, so it wasn't a problem.

Oh man...if he's coming out west...GO SEE HIM.

Aged Dylan woos youngsters in crowd
    Generation Xers and Yers rub shoulders with baby boomers during the rock icon's concert at FirstEnergy Stadium, which features some well-known songs and many obscurities.

By Jon Fassnacht
    Reading Eagle

There weren't that many hits Wednesday night at FirstEnergy Stadium, but it still was a winning effort.
    Rock icon Bob Dylan brought his tour of minor-league baseball stadiums to Reading on a perfect summer night, with a 14-song, 75-minute set featuring a few well-known songs and many obscurities from his 45-year career.

Those at the show also got to hear him sing “Highway 61 Revisited” on Route 61.

The crowd probably about 6,000 strong featured a healthy mix of ages, with a notable number of children and Generation Xers and Yers rubbing shoulders (or sitting on top of shoulders) with baby boomers who grew up with Dylan's music.

And it was the younger set who seemed to be the most into the show, at least in the group near the stage. One teenager wore a T-shirt on which “Who killed Mandy Moore?” was scrawled in marker, an offbeat reference to Dylan's early-1960s rarity “Who Killed Davey Moore?”

Elana James & the Continental Two, Junior Brown and Jimmie Vaughan (blues legend Stevie Ray Vaughan's brother) started the evening with 11/2 hours of jazz, country and blues, most of it well-received by the audience.

The stage was set up around second base. About 1,000 fans crowded in front, while the rest of the audience filled in the seats around the stadium.

Dylan strolled on a little past 9:15 p.m., introduced as “the voice of the '60s counterculture,” a tag he has been trying to shake since the 1960s.

Perhaps no performer today has the hot-and-cold performing history of Dylan. His live reputation ranges from very strong to so sloppy that the crowd and even his band sometimes doesn't know what song he's playing.

During the opening number the obscure and unintelligible “Cat's in the Well” it looked like Reading could have been in for one of the latter. But Dylan loosened up as the evening progressed.

Although never revered for his vocals, Dylan, who spent the entire show hunched behind a keyboard, sounded every one of his 65 years on Wednesday night. His vocals mostly were nasal grunts, resembling Gollum from “The Lord of the Rings” with a head cold. And he frequently altered the rhythm of his lyrics, making singing along with the songs next to impossible.

The quintet backing Dylan dressed in matching gray suits was a very nice surprise. Most of the evening's material was steeped in blues, which the group tore through with ease. But it was just as comfortable with the swampy funk of “Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum” and the '70s-R&B take on “Lay Lady Lay.”

The encore brought some familiarity to the Dylan novices in the crowd, featuring two of his trademark songs “Like a Rolling Stone” and “Rainy Day Women #12 and #35.”

It also brought Dylan's first words to the crowd, a brief, “Thank you. Thank you, friends,” before he introduced his band.