Weezer broke up......They're done

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I was never a huge fan...but I never like hearing of a successful band breaking up.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I was never a huge fan...but I never like hearing of a successful band breaking up.
    I love Weezer...bad news, just bad news. They were awesome with Foo Fighters last fall!
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I don't think they're done. I read an article on MTV News that says that Rivers is still friendly with the rest of the guys.

I think it will be more of a long-term hiatus kind of thing.

They'll be back...eventually.

Just a hunch.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/sns-ap-music-weezer,0,4253843.story?coll=mmx-home_bottom_hedsh2o

Rivers Cuomo Says Weezer Is 'Done'

By Associated Press

NEW YORK --
    Rivers Cuomo says that, for now, Weezer is "done." Cuomo, the band's bespectacled songwriter and frontman, told MTV that while he remains in touch with his bandmates, "we've never mentioned getting together."

"Really, for the moment, we are done," he said. "And I'm not certain we'll ever make a record again, unless it becomes really obvious to me that we need to do one."

Weezer has released five albums since forming in 1993. The group took a considerable break between 1996's "Pinkerton" and 2001's self-titled disc (typically called "The Green Album"). The band's last release was "Make Believe," in 2005.

The liner notes of that album led to conjecture that it was Weezer's last. They included a quote from a parting soliloquy in Shakespeare's "Tempest," the playwright's last play.

Cuomo, 36, said he has been writing songs, but said, "I don't know what'll happen with these songs -- if anything. ... I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

Jim Merlis, a spokesman for Geffen said that the label had no official response, but did add Cuomo has made similar statements in the past.

Cuomo recently graduated from Harvard and married his longtime girlfriend, Kyoko Ito.
    So no other Weezer fans here, huh?
  • i dunno i used to like weezer alot but their last album was such a huge disappointment to me... i guess somewhere along the way i stopped caring.
    i will always love certain songs though!
    www.riseagainst.com

Only thunder gives me rest.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    read.

for the moment we are done.

they could be recording right now.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    yeah i think they're on hiatus like the black crowes were
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    aNiMaL wrote:
    http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/sns-ap-music-weezer,0,4253843.story?coll=mmx-home_bottom_hedsh2o

Rivers Cuomo Says Weezer Is 'Done'

By Associated Press

NEW YORK --
    Rivers Cuomo says that, for now, Weezer is "done." Cuomo, the band's bespectacled songwriter and frontman, told MTV that while he remains in touch with his bandmates, "we've never mentioned getting together."

"Really, for the moment, we are done," he said. "And I'm not certain we'll ever make a record again, unless it becomes really obvious to me that we need to do one."

Weezer has released five albums since forming in 1993. The group took a considerable break between 1996's "Pinkerton" and 2001's self-titled disc (typically called "The Green Album"). The band's last release was "Make Believe," in 2005.

The liner notes of that album led to conjecture that it was Weezer's last. They included a quote from a parting soliloquy in Shakespeare's "Tempest," the playwright's last play.

Cuomo, 36, said he has been writing songs, but said, "I don't know what'll happen with these songs -- if anything. ... I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

Jim Merlis, a spokesman for Geffen said that the label had no official response, but did add Cuomo has made similar statements in the past.

Cuomo recently graduated from Harvard and married his longtime girlfriend, Kyoko Ito.

PROOF THAT GOD EXISTS!
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
    brain of c wrote:
    read.

for the moment we are done.

they could be recording right now.
    Like Keiser Soze, you'll never hear from them again.....

And like that, they're gone.

.....for the moment. :D
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Hasn't Weezer pretty much broken-up after each of their last few albums?

I don't think they're completely done with recording and performing together. They just seem to keep getting back together after long absences.

If their trend of releasing less and less-appealing albums continues, they may want to consider staying broken-up this time.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    to me they were done after their 3rd album.. blue album was really good and pinkerton was amazing but that was it for me... i really dont see a point in them being around if they are gonna keep writing crap like "beverly hills"....i guess it pays the bills
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • there last album was a joke as far as im concerned
    6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    i dont have any Weezer albums except for the last one - and i thought it was pretty good
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    aNiMaL wrote:
    "I don't know what'll happen with these songs -- if anything. ... I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

I really enjoyed reading this part, I just wish they had quit after Pinkerton.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • It's a lot a work to stay together
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Good riddance.
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    haha i was never really a big fan. i have the green album, and i like it. a few of the songs.

my girlfriends going to be pissed though, she has all of their albums.
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    good. That last album was piss poor. Their live show isn't enough to compensate for hearing a song like beverly hills or we are all on drugs on the radio again.
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    well they did this after Pinkerton and then came back and released some stinkers. Maybe they'll disappear and if/when they return, they will put out some pure gold for us...

no, not happening?
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Galaxie2X4Galaxie2X4 Posts: 151
    that's a shame. They are a unique group that can really rock the power chords. Undone-the sweater song is classic.
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08