Any Martin Sexton fans here?

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I got a couple of really good musician friends and they are way into him. I am listening to him right now for the first time. It is alright. Sort of a blend between Ben Harper and Dave Matthews maybe. With some blues/jazz mixed in.

Anyhow, I am going to see him at the Showbox tonight.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I love Ron Sexsmith.
    Cock Fight.
  • NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    Saw him Tuesday hight in Bozeman, MT. He was great!!! His new stuff is good live.

Love his cover of Purple Rain, although he didn't play it on tues.
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    He is really fun live.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Saw him Tuesday hight in Bozeman, MT. He was great!!! His new stuff is good live.

Love his cover of Purple Rain, although he didn't play it on tues.
    Yeah, a lot pf people were yelling out for Purple Rain....but he didn't play it. Good show though....he's vey talented.
  • He's amazing live. He's played at Calvin College here in Grand Rapids many times. Very intimate shows. He'll sit on the side of the stage and play without a mic and everyone will be completely silent in awe of his voice. Gives you chills...

His sister, Colleen, is good too.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Seen him play maybe 15 times over the past decade. The last show a few weeks ago (his current tour) was the worst one of them all. He is now playing with a full band - opposed to in the past either solo or just with a drummer (Joe). Think the new arrangment takes away from Marty's biggest asset - his voice - which is just amazing - probably the best I've ever heard.

Still worth going - just not as good IMO.

Live Wide Open would be the album to buy as his live stuff is better then studio.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Seen him play maybe 15 times over the past decade. The last show a few weeks ago (his current tour) was the worst one of them all. He is now playing with a full band - opposed to in the past either solo or just with a drummer (Joe). Think the new arrangment takes away from Marty's biggest asset - his voice - which is just amazing - probably the best I've ever heard.

Still worth going - just not as good IMO.

Live Wide Open would be the album to buy as his live stuff his better then studio.

Full band? Booo! Completely agree with what you said. His voice is amazing.
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    i saw him back in '00. pretty decent show. i don't own any of his albums, though. not someone i constantly think of when looking for new cd's.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    The guy IS a badass, particularly in a solo gig (never seen him with a full band but would love too). Considering how awesome Live Wide Open is, I think I would dig a little bit of beat and los and his thrown in the mix. Let not anyone here try to fool you that he's just another solo artist. I understand someone not liking his material, especially the studio stuff (except for Black Sheep which is amaaaaazing), but you can not deny his talents and passion for his craft. Just a beautiful soul who can sing his ass off and put about any other singer to shame.