Toots and the Maytals

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Anyone here ever listen to reggae? I just borrowed this album "Time Tough The Anthology" by Toots and the Maytals and its fantastic!!! Almost wanna say better than Bob.

Any Toots fans here??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    They're probably my favourite reggae act. Absolutely love em!

Walk With Love
    Pressure Drop
    54 46 Was My Number
    Take Me Home (Country Road)
    Daddy
    One Eyed Enos
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Almost wanna say better than Bob.

Any Toots fans here??

No almost about it mate, they kick reggae arse, my fave reggae band.
    If your're a fan of Radiohead, I reccomend you pick up The Easy St Allstars tribute to Ok Computer, Toots Hibbert sings an awesome version of Let Down on there.:)

Some of my over fave reggae and dub acts are Bob, Max Romeo/the Upsetters, Dillinger, Dennis Brown, Augustus Pablo, King Tubby, Peter Tosh, Gregory Issacs, Lee Perry to name a few.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Yeah, what an amazing voice Toots has got! One of my early favorites is "Chatty, Chatty."

Also, it is GREAT to hear the original "54-46 That's My Number" as I had only ever knew Sublime's version. Fucking awesome!!! I see why Brad wanted to cover it.
  • bearfoot61bearfoot61 Posts: 119
    They are new to me and thought they were a new band, since I had never heard of them. They are the opening act for Dave Matthews Band in Virginia in August. I'm excited to see them, now that I've heard how good they are.
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets, oh
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who cannot forgive yourself, oh
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    great party music
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Long time fan.

Nothing like Toots in concert with a bunch of herb flying around. Pearl Jam makes you want to stand up and dance? They can't hold Toot's pants! :)

On a side note. The Clash do an okay version of Pressure Drop. But Izzy Stradlin does a fucking dyn o mite version of it.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    even flow? wrote:
    Long time fan.

Nothing like Toots in concert with a bunch of herb flying around. Pearl Jam makes you want to stand up and dance? They can't hold Toot's pants! :)

On a side note. The Clash do an okay version of Pressure Drop. But Izzy Stradlin does a fucking dyn o mite version of it.

Izzy's version is pure bounce you're fuckin' arse of material.:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    "Never Get Weary"....what a great song!!!
    I just ripped "Time Tough the Anthology" to my work computer so I can jam out to Toots while working.
    This is starting to remind me if my Fishbone thread...

I have been digging the hell outta "Time Tough the Anthology"...it has some really phenomenal tracks on it.
    Toots' cover of "Hard to Handle" is sick!!!!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Toots is the man
    say him open for ratdog a couple times

Fantastic, bombastic
    Get_Right wrote:
    Toots is the man
    say him open for ratdog a couple times

Fantastic, bombastic
    I really want to catch them in concert now that I am in the know. Too bad they are currently not scheduled to tour my part of the world.
    Reggae got soul - got so much soul!!!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    If you are a Reggae fan, the new Ziggy Marely cd is really good...there is a song called "Black Cat"...great ska sound!