help with canadian band

darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
edited December 2007 in Other Music
hi i am trying to remember the name of this band.. they are sorta like they might be giants, presidents of the usa. kinda a quirky rock band that sing about really candian things.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    The Rheostatics???? IMO the best Canadian band ever

(not that I think they necessarily fit your comparisons....but they are a quirky Canadian rock band....who sing about really Canadian things)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Shuffle Demons or Moxy Fruvous?
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    crash test dummies?

great big sea?
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    The Dayglow Abortions ?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    barenaked ladies?
    barenaked ladies?

oh yeah, how could i forget about them?
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Sloan?
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    thanks guys but still not there.. they have been going for a while... i think toronto/ontario based.
  • The Tragically Hip?
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky...A human being that was giveeeeeeeeeeeeen to flllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    The Tragically Hip?
    I was gonna say this...:D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
    The Tragically Hip?
    FUCKING HELL!!1 THE TRAGICALLY HIP!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks. now i feel much the fool for forgetting. jeez how did i not remember them?

THANKS!!!!!!!
  • I don't see the comparison.
    Cock Fight.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Tek Money wrote:
    I don't see the comparison.

me neither, they're not quirky by any stretch, not boring but not quirky
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    uninnocent wrote:
    oh yeah, how could i forget about them?

They are best to be left forgotten
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson

i forget them once i finally see them play at birchmount stadium (home of the robbie).

...and somehow i think that's less than likely.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622

You again?? Seriously dude, if you hate Canadian music so much, why do you bother to click on these threads?
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    me neither, they're not quirky by any stretch, not boring but not quirky

The music certainly isn't quirky, but Gord Downie is as quirky as they come. Actually, "crazy as a loon" is a more fitting description, lol.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    The music certainly isn't quirky, but Gord Downie is as quirky as they come. Actually, "crazy as a loon" is a more fitting description, lol.

I meant the comparison with 'They Might Be Giants'. I don't see it.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    I meant the comparison with 'They Might Be Giants'. I don't see it.

Ahh...my mistake.

-Tom Waits
  • The Crapjackets?

;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    direwolf74 wrote:
    just to clarify i have never heard their music. my uncle was trying to describe them to me. he was sayin how they sing about really canadian-centric things.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    darkcrow wrote:
    just to clarify i have never heard their music. my uncle was trying to describe them to me. he was sayin how they sing about really canadian-centric things.

Don't worry about what some say. There's nothing wrong with liking The Hip.

See them live if you can. I'm sure they play pretty small venues when they ever go over to the UK.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780

I can stands no more. I've tried taking your ravings with good humour and even took up a position in your defense at one time. Enough is enough!

Shitting on the Tragically Hip (and Canadian bands in general) indicates that none of posts are worth reading. I have never, ever done this before so consider it an honour... Welcome to my ignore list.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • W.M.EhW.M.Eh Posts: 133
    Is it "The Odds" that you are thinking of?

They were kinda quirky
    The last PJ show I went to was the best PJ show ever, that is until they come around again of course

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    MCG wrote:
    I can stands no more. I've tried taking your ravings with good humour and even took up a position in your defense at one time. Enough is enough!

Shitting on the Tragically Hip (and Canadian bands in general) indicates that none of posts are worth reading. I have never, ever done this before so consider it an honour... Welcome to my ignore list.

Im flattered
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Im flattered

Why be flattered...just admit it, will ya...try the track called "Yeah"

http://www.thegoldendogs.com/seeandhear.php?album_id=3