Options

SMC - Powderfinger - Internationalist

2»

Comments

• Options
    pacifier wrote:
    pic for what? Does this have something to do with the SMC written at the start?

yes, SMC stands for "Synergy Music Club"... each week, one member picks an album, makes the mp3s available to the other members and the discussion begins...
    just do a quick search for "SMC" and you'll find the most recent albums and also a thread where it's explained in much more detail...
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=146246&highlight=SMC

if you're interested, just pm viggs20 who's kind enough to organize this stuff... but other members will help you out as well...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    i'm still trying to give this one a proper listen, but i've caught all of the songs at one time or another and i like them. The singer has a nice power to his voice. I like the more rocking songs more than there ballads, i wasnt too fond of "Trading Places" but otherwise the album is really good. I too had heard of them from a few of you on the board before, but i had never been able to give them a chance, they arent too easily found over here. But i'm glad i've finally heard them, they're definitely worth checking out more in depth.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    pacifier wrote:
    pic for what? Does this have something to do with the SMC written at the start?
    Yeah just check the link psycosmic provided...and let me know if you're interested. I promise you it will be a lot of fun.

And burnin-candle is up next...so go ahead whenever you're ready.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    yeh its good stuff thanks for the reviews - the album is prob in my top 10 of all time lol i just love it to death :)

but yeh i dont mind that its not such a big hit - although i think i expected a few more people to like it! not a prob

more thoughts would be cool too :)
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    I finally got a good chance to give this a listen. I've had it in my car since it was first put up here but haven't really been able to listen to it until the last week or so.

Like the Beatsteaks album, this one grew on me. Highlights of the album for me are The Day You Come, Passenger, Trading Places, Private Man, and Capoicity. The Trading Places/Private Man/Celebrity Head trio in the middle of the album is probably the strongest thing on it. I really like the staccato guitar work on The Day You Come, and the vocals on the chorus are beautiful. Private Man has a nice driving beat and a catchy little guitar bit throughout the song. Capoicity steadily builds and builds to a nice crescendo. Trading Places has a Strangest Tribe vibe to it, and that leads me to my one real complaint about this album- a lot of it sounds derivative of other artists. This usually isn't a bad thing when it isn't readily apparent, but I found myself saying several times, "Oh, this kind of sounds like _________" I listen to so much music that it's almost inevitable that this will happen, and I don't know what their influences are, but it happened more than usual on this album. In addition to Strangest Tribe, they also sound a bit like PJ on Celebrity Head (I hear StBC in that descending note guitar part in the chorus). I also heard a bit of Peter Gabriel and the Smashing Pumpkins/Zwan (read, 'happy' Billy Corgan music). There's more, but I'd have to have the CD with to listen to again and I don't ATM. Anyway, the point is that it's tough to be memorable when your sound isn't terribly unique. Which is too bad, because they seem to be a strong band. I'd like to see them live.
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    thats an interesting take as having them as unoriginal - as i find their sound to be very distinct... driven by the incredible vocals of bernard fanning. oh and im pretty sure i have heard that some of their influences range from led zeppelin to pearl jam to neil young etc

nehow if u went from their first album - parables for wooden ears i would definitely say that their sound then is not very original, sounds extremely soundgarden like... i think thats a reason why they dont like that album anymore, as it didnt have their own feel to it.

im sure that if u guys keep listening - it will continue to grow on u