Van Morrison

fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 716
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I've been digging his best of, anyone have any ideas on what full LP I should pick up?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moondance...astral weeks and tupelo honey....great cds if you like van morrison
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • Great singer/songwriter. Moondance is a good start.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Moondance is a perfect album. I didn't find Astral Weeks as accessible, but it was also good. He has so many, I need to listen to more myself.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Astral Weeks does it for me. That album is phenomenal.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Astral Weeks
    Moondance
    St Dominic's Preview
    Hard Nose The Highway
    It's Too Late to Stop Now
    Veedon Fleece
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Moondance is the only one I have and it's great. Of course, everybody seems to love Astral Weeks.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    van's the man
    champagne for my real friends & i'm a real pain for my sham friends.. ;)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    so many classics on Moondance, good place to start if you're just starting to get into Van

enjoy!
  • merlynmerlyn Posts: 179
    been listening to van from birth my pa's fav. days like this is one of my fav's
    champagne for my real friends & i'm a real pain for my sham friends.. ;)
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    IMO Van Morrison is up there with Stevie Wonder as one of the most musical people of the last century. He IS music.

Astral Weeks and Moondance are the two classics. Moondance shades it for me, because of the more complete songs but Astral Weeks' best moments are untouchable. By that I mean the title track, Sweet Thing, The Way Young Lovers Do and Ballerina. It doesn't get any better than that.

It's Too Late to Stop Now is one of the best live albums of all time. Get that.

Out of his many, brilliant studio albums I would cite these three as the closest challengers to Astral Weeks and Moondance:

St Dominic's Preview (1973)
    Veedon Fleece (1974)
    Into The Music (1979)

Outside of those albums and the greatest hits, you need to hear a few select songs. They are:

Hymns to The Silence
    Haunts of Ancient Peace (EDIT: I couldn't resist. The full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8luXTqpTX4)
    Wavelength
    In The Garden

http://www.youtube.com (so you don't have to type it in youself ;-))