early beatles?

fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 716
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Does anyone else dig early beatles? I know many find it a bit too pop but I've been rocking help! around the house lately. I obviously would take revolver over help! any day, but early beatles gives a spring to my step and great memories of listening to thier first greatest hits collection on the way to the beach when I was a kid
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• There's nothing really terrible about it, but if you go from listening to Sgt Peppers or Revolver or something back to Hard Day's Night you'll fall asleep.

The old stuff really can't compare :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    early beatles makes one and a half years old alex rock and roll every night.

and part of every day.
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    I adore Twist and Shout,She Loves You,Please Please Me Etc. I can't listen to Revolver though,it's just too out there.And I don't get all the hype about the White Album either otherwise though they were the most prolific songwriters ever,wrote more great songs than anyone.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    The Beatles were a great example of a band that evolved and grew in a short period of time. Think of the quantum leap from "I want to hold your hand" to "Happiness is a warm gun." Personally I prefer the drugged out beatles to the wholesome Ed Sullivan Beatles, but they had to start somewhere.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • I love the breakneck and slightly desperate feel of the "Please Please Me" album, and I love the take on soul in "With The Beatles". Those albums were recorded in 1963 and I think they're quite gritty, particularly John's singing. They were recorded in a ridiculously short period of time, too. I think "Please Please Me" was recorded in about twelve hours, and some of the band had bad winter colds. It's a bit raggedy, and pretty live. Their version of The Isley Brothers' "Twist and Shout" almost sounds ready to break down but it's the band energy keeping it together. "With The Beatles" was more soul orientated. They did a Smokey Robinson number, "You've Really Got a Hold on Me."

In the States, the early Beatles albums were repackaged (and at first, renamed), with single hits added. In those days in the UK, songs that featured on singles were rarely included on LPs, and UK albums. Even before the days of "the concept", a lot of albums did seem to have a unified feel and a well devised running order that would get bollocksed up on US release. Even as late as 1966, the US version of "Revolver" omitted three tracks on the UK version. It wasn't until "Sgt Pepper" in 1967 that US and UK releases were the same.
  • armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    I don't mind early Beatles. However, I mostly listen to Rubber Soul onward. For me, that's where the Beatles begin their transition into immortality.
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    I love the early Beatles! How could anyone not? People who don't must have some sort of "cool" hangup or something. I really fucking suggest you listen again with bigger ears. I'm not saying it has to be your favorite era, but if you can't appreciate how GOOD that early stuff is, I really feel sorry for you. That shit is so rocking! It is filled with so much energy and joy and passion and sexiness. All Beatles stuff is genious--from their first single to their last album. Like someone else said, it is part of the whole picture.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • I think John once said that the Beatles' best material was never recorded. The very early Beatles (when they were in Hamburg and before they put the suits on) were very raw and definitely punk in spirit. Anyone seen the movie "Backbeat"?
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    sometimes i want to hear early stuff. i truly do. some baby's in black, yes it is, there's a place, no reply, don't bother me, i need you.... yes. and their early cavern stuff was good too, just, for the most part, the recording quality was mediocre at best.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I adore the early stuff. They did a really good job on some of their covers. THey have also of hiding gems on alot of their early stuff. Like "There's a place,follow the sun, money,do you want to know a secret and you really got a hold on me.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Like someone said, to appreciate the Beatles you have to listen to it all...hear the amazing evolution...beautiful music...the Beatles will never die...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • i love early beatles. please please me is still a great album. help! is solid, too. the best live performance they ever gave, IMO, was help! from anthology disk 2. i don't even listen to the original anymore. the live version is faster and you can hear lennon's influence on kurt cobain in his singing. ticket to ride, we can work it out, i've just seen a face, i feel fine, 8 days a week, and i love her.....they were magical even in the early days. there will never be another beatles.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i do. with the beatles and hard day's night are the weakest id say. but help is a brilliant album and i love beatles for sale... the first time you can see the darker edge of the beatles starting to peak through. im a loser, no reply, baby's in black... plus the jam of kansas city/hey hey hey hey is awesome :)

please please me was also good... i saw her standing there is one of the best early singles they did.
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    Another note about some of the early Beatles and the late Beatles for that matter. No one writes a love song like the Beatles. They somehow manage to make them so beautiful without being cheesy. Truly not an easy thing to do.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    sometimes i'm in the mood for earlier beatles, just depends. i love all of it really....out of those early years we got 'if i fell' for example. beautiful tune.

and that's so true about their love songs, they're so pure in their sentiment.
  • sometimes i'm in the mood for earlier beatles, just depends. i love all of it really....out of those early years we got 'if i fell' for example. beautiful tune.

and that's so true about their love songs, they're so pure in their sentiment.

it's ironic that they wrote so many songs about love and yet they had such an ugly breakup. 'we can work it out' is a good example.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    it's ironic that they wrote so many songs about love and yet they had such an ugly breakup. 'we can work it out' is a good example.
    very true. i heard that john actually wanted to leave the band as early as '66, but didn't feel brave enough at the time to do it. thank goodness he stuck it out at least!