New Jesse Malin

fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 716
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

Yeah. I really like him. He pisses on Ryan - Mr derivative - Adams. I loved his first two albums.
  • my dad's friend paid some money to have jesse malin basically come to my hometown and play a private gig for this guy's birthday party last year, so i got to hear his music up close and personal.....jesse malin is awesome. malin is friends with ryan adams, whose music is also great.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    my dad's friend paid some money to have jesse malin basically come to my hometown and play a private gig for this guy's birthday party last year, so i got to hear his music up close and personal.....jesse malin is awesome. malin is friends with ryan adams, whose music is also great.

But the difference is that every Ryan Adams song sounds like something else - either David Bowie, Neil Young, The Stones e.t.c, e.t.c.
    Jesse Malin has his own sound. Ergo: He's better.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I like his first 2 albums quite a bit but no way in hell is he more talented/better singer/songwriter than Adams.
    transplant wrote:
    I like his first 2 albums quite a bit but no way in hell is he more talented/better singer/songwriter than Adams.

Name one song of Ryan Adams that isn't a rip off of something else.
    I didn't mind his stuff with Whiskytown mind.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Jesse Malin's the shit. His records are good, but the songs are much better live. I had 'The Heat' on constant rotation for probably 6 months.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Oh, and Ryan Adams IS one of the best out there right now. Yeah, not the most original, but I think saying all of his stuff is a ripoff is a bit strong. All musicians rip someone sooner or later, I don't care who it is.

Just listened to 'Downliner' and 'Riding on the Subway' from Jesse....

Fuuuuuck!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Name one song of Ryan Adams that isn't a rip off of something else.
    I didn't mind his stuff with Whiskytown mind.
    Oh, come now.....I could say, name one Malin song that doesn't remind you of a Ryan Adams song :)

Both are cut from the same cloth. Tough to compare them really as Adams obviously blows Malins (solo) output away as far as sheer numbers. Sure Adams wears his influences on his sleeve, but his ability to take that variety and make something out of it that 'I' find pretty unique is cool.

It just seems strange that you would find Malin to be all that more original. Did you listen to D Generation by any chance? Pretty good.
  • Oh, come now.....I could say, name one Malin song that doesn't remind you of a Ryan Adams song :)
    Thank you. They do have a similar sound at times. It's true you can hear Ryan's influences loud and clear...but then, I really like his influences :)

I like Jesse too; I didn't know he had a new record out.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Thank you. They do have a similar sound at times. It's true you can hear Ryan's influences loud and clear...but then, I really like his influences :)

I like Jesse too; I didn't know he had a new record out.

The record is out in february. Lots of cool guests and what not.
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    aye i luv the first record, and saw him tour with it 3 times, twice in dublin
    and at Witnness festival in 2003!! aint een him since, tho he's playin the
    21st of january in whelans or the village so i hope to be there!

met him once too, after the 1st time i saw him, he had played in an old
    punk gruop-D Generation as their singer, who'd supported Green Day in
    '98 in Dublins now defunt SFX, anyway i still had that ticket stub, so i asked
    him to sign it! he was quite taken aback i must say!! sound fella!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london