Nick Cave

2»

Comments

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    He's been doing heroin for some 30 years and I don't know if it's stopped. But he's still standing and as good as ever.

oh ok. I picked up "no more shall we part" and "Abatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus" today.

i'm on my first spin of "no more shall we part". It's beautiful so far....

I heard Abatoir Blues was his best record.....
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    oh ok. I picked up "no more shall we part" and "Abatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus" today.

Gotta get The Lyre of Orpheus with Abattoir Blues, they go hand in hand (as any good double album should..). It's fucking brilliant. Personally I prefer TLOO over Abattoir Blues (if I had to choose..) but neither have realllly sank in yet. Everytime I put on TLOO I get caught up repeating it's title song, Breathless, and Easy Money.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    "Lime Tree Arbour" from the Boatman's Call is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    "Lime Tree Arbour" from the Boatman's Call is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
    I heard it for the first time yesterday and it wrecked me. I was listening to his ballads (not the album, just various songs by Cave) all day but after I heard that one and "Lay Me Low" back to back I had to cut it off. Couldn't take it. That's really the sign of a truely amazing artist to me.. .where it gets so much emotion from me that I literally have to turn it off.

"Make our day"
    I heard it for the first time yesterday and it wrecked me. I was listening to his ballads (not the album, just various songs by Cave) all day but after I heard that one and "Lay Me Low" back to back I had to cut it off. Couldn't take it. That's really the sign of a truely amazing artist to me.. .where it gets so much emotion from me that I literally have to turn it off.

yeah. I know what you mean.

I put on one of his records and I wind up playing one or two songs over and over again. Today its been "into my arms" and "lime tree arbour".

I'm blown away. I can't wait to listen to Abatoir Blues/TLOO later.
  • After finishing "The Good Son", Cave thought it would be a good idea to fix his drug addiction. "To tell the truth," says Cave, "I actually didn’t want to kick drugs. It was the last thing on my mind to do. I had problems with being busted a couple of times, and basically it was either that or prison, and that’s why I went into the clinic. Eventually I came to the realisation that it was the best thing. But I went in screaming and kicking."

There we go. Our boy Nick is supposedly clean.

"Make our day"
    After finishing "The Good Son", Cave thought it would be a good idea to fix his drug addiction. "To tell the truth," says Cave, "I actually didn’t want to kick drugs. It was the last thing on my mind to do. I had problems with being busted a couple of times, and basically it was either that or prison, and that’s why I went into the clinic. Eventually I came to the realisation that it was the best thing. But I went in screaming and kicking."

There we go. Our boy Nick is supposedly clean.

yeah I was pretty sure I read that he cleaned up and turned into a devout christian.

it's pretty amazing that he's had such a career while on that horrible drug. I can't remember any addict sticking around for as long as he has.
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    yeah I was pretty sure I read that he cleaned up and turned into a devout christian.

it's pretty amazing that he's had such a career while on that horrible drug. I can't remember any addict sticking around for as long as he has.
    That's because he's not human. I'm not positive on what he actually is though.. My money's on Vampire.

"Make our day"
    he is pretty scary looking.
  • So the Cave man is off the burning axe then? Good for him. I'm glad he was able to kick that shit. I can't wait to catch Cave live, any of you guys been to a show of his? I have the God is in the House dvd coming soon, so that will give me a taste.
    "And I don't believe in the existence of angels
    But looking at you I wonder if that's true
    But if I did I would summon them together
    And ask them to watch over you"

nothing like a little nick cave on valentines day
  • StoneG82 wrote:

How about "Oh My Lord" off of No More Shall We Part? Fucking incredible.

I really dig the violin on the whole album.

Haven't heard Abatoir Blues or Boatman's Call, need to pick them up.

Thank you for the insights!!!!!!
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • listening to let love in

loving it!
  • How about "Oh My Lord" off of No More Shall We Part? Fucking incredible.

Yeah, I've been playing that on guitar today, such a great song! I've been playing As I Sat Sadly By Her Side a lot too.
  • I was listening to him with my friend driving back from school yesterday...

started him off with that Stagger Lee video I ripped from youtube :D

Then I went into "Red Right Hand"..

After hearing the first refrain he sits up and goes.. "I KNOW THIS..... wasn't this on dumb and dumber? I love this song" :p:D

"Make our day"
  • Red Right Hand kicked ass in "Scream."
    abattoir blues/the lyre of orpheus might be my favorite nick cave yet.

Abattoir Blues is rocking as hell. It's like some sort of twisted gospel record. Sounds almost Tom Waits-ish at times.

TLOO is beautiful. It's more mellow, but it's still great. "Breathless" may be the greatest pop song I've heard in years, and "Babe, You Turn Me On" is stunning.

not a bad starting point by any means.

I'm also really into "No More Shall We Part" at the moment. it's darker, but still amazing.
  • I was listening to Abattoir Blues today, it is too good! I'd say my favorite track off that one is Nature Boy... for the moment.

My fave off of TLOO is O Children... what a haunting song. The title track is a close second.