Alice in Chains; Junkhead

immortality_13immortality_13 Posts: 232
edited January 2007 in Other Music
so i got their Live cd not long ago and theres a track on there called Junkhead as people would know, and i listen to the lyrics iam thinkin how can someone write a song about drug use, sing it and follow in real life what the song is about.

i know the basic story to the band and Layne and im sadden by tragic loss of him, but does anyone know the story behind the song? to me it doesnt make sense to write a song about drugs and take them as well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Why do you think it doesn't make sense? I'm curious about why you think that.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    read the words again and then think about them. i don't think that song was written with pride.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Recorded while lead singer Layne Staley was suffering through a heroin addiction, the album's gloomy, tortured music helped turn it into a hit.

The songs "Sickman", "Junkhead", "Dirt," "God Smack," "Hate To Feel" and "Angry Chair" are based on Staley's experiences with heroin.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    Recorded while lead singer Layne Staley was suffering through a heroin addiction, the album's gloomy, tortured music helped turn it into a hit.

The songs "Sickman", "Junkhead", "Dirt," "God Smack," "Hate To Feel" and "Angry Chair" are based on Staley's experiences with heroin.

we all know this. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • justam wrote:
    Why do you think it doesn't make sense? I'm curious about why you think that.

it doesnt make sense because if i wrote a song about my addiction to drugs, then every time id sing it i would be reminded that the addiction was not somethin id want to continue but rather overcome it.

i just wanted to see peoples opinions on the songs lyrics and Layne, and ive become curious about the band since i bought the album cos i like them.
    take a look at the unplugged DVD. layne was so fucked up i'd be surprised if he knew where he was. but he managed to function. some junkies are like that. if they can still go about their routine then to them there may not be a problem to acknowledge.
    writers usually write what they know. what they are familiar with. layne knew he couldn't overcome his addiction no matter how hard he tried. so he wrote about it as a way of exorcising the demon. it is sad, but it was his life.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • read the words again and then think about them. i don't think that song was written with pride.
    ^^

"Dirt" more than any other album of the era was seething with self-loathing depression and drug use.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    ^^

"Dirt" more than any other album of the era was seething with self-loathing depression and drug use.

i agree.
    it's sad but honest in a way.

i remember watching the unplugged DVD and layne stuffs up a song and jerry tries to reassure him that's it's okay. i felt so sad watching that part.
    drugs can just fuck you up no end.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • it doesnt make sense because if i wrote a song about my addiction to drugs, then every time id sing it i would be reminded that the addiction was not somethin id want to continue but rather overcome it.

As someone mentioned earlier, Layne didn't write about his addiction with pride. It wasn't something he WANTED to continue.

The same holds true for the COUNTLESS other artists who have written about their addictions. Just about all of them write from a perspective of shame and remorse - not pride.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    "I bet you'd be doin' like me, and it ain't so bad..."

Oh, the irony.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win