Slint - Spiderland

elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
edited September 2007 in Other Music
my most recent musical discovery, with two of the songs missing though as I was trying to cram the discs. It wouldnt fit with My Bloody Valentine' Loveless and so I decided that Slint was the one to shred from. Mistake.

the singer at turns reminds me of Kurt Cobain and some songs of the Crimson red album.

There must be some among you who rate this as highly as I do, is the EP and their prior album essential ??
Are there any similar albums ( with vocals, so not Explosions In The Sky, and I havent yet got into Gun Club ) ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wow, I was going to make a Slint thread a couple of weeks ago, but then decided not to cause I didn't think PJ fans would have even heard of them. Anyway, Spiderland is a pretty good album. I think it's a bit overrated at times simply cause I'm not a fan of "don, aman." But nosferatu man is a fucking killer track.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Their prior Album Tweez, IMO sucks. It is my understanding that Spiderland is miles better. Just haven't gotten around to it. Got scared away from the hype machine.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Nosferatu is my fav track as well.

I also think the album is vastly overated but good all the same :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    I also think the album is vastly overated but good all the same :)

I'm with you here
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    elmer wrote:
    my most recent musical discovery, with two of the songs missing though as I was trying to cram the discs. It wouldnt fit with My Bloody Valentine' Loveless and so I decided that Slint was the one to shred from. Mistake.

the singer at turns reminds me of Kurt Cobain and some songs of the Crimson red album.

There must be some among you who rate this as highly as I do, is the EP and their prior album essential ??
    Are there any similar albums ( with vocals, so not Explosions In The Sky, and I havent yet got into Gun Club ) ?
    fantastic album for sure. Someone said Tweez, their debut sucks. it doesn't. it's not great, it's CERTAINLY not spiderland but it's worth hearing. The EP is excellent. basically spiderland quality. I'd recommend Mogwai Young Team no relation to the scottish band.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • elmer wrote:

Spiderland is better than Tweez, and the EP falls in the middle.

For similar bands, try early Mogwai, The For Carnation (Brian McMahon from Slint... actually now that I think about it I think their EP is practically a Slint reunion), Rodan, June of 44

David Pajo from Slint did some interesting solo stuff under the names M, Ariel M, Papa M, and, um... David Pajo.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    The For Carnation (Brian McMahon from Slint... actually now that I think about it I think their EP is practically a Slint reunion)
    The For Carnation = Awesome