Mark Lanegan

elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
edited December 2006 in Other Music
this thread just had to be done.......Is there a songwriter around today who surpasses this guy?

Winding Sheet
Whiskey for the Holy Ghost
Field Songs
I´ll Take Care of You
Methamphetamine Blues EP
Bubblegum( for me an all-time fav)
Ballad of the Broken Seas (w/isobel campbell)

Im not mostly into the whole american roots thing that Lanegan is so instantly recognized for nowadays(unjustly). I did like the sceaming trees but feel his best work is comprised in the above list.
his grizzily world-weary baritone just drips melancholy and anguish like no other singer can muster and he is the antithesis of the conveyor belt of disposable shit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• edigerediger Posts: 308
    Ballad Of The Broken Seas is a fantastic album.

His cover of Where Did You Sleep Last Night on Winding Sheet is amazing, too.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • tom waits is a better songwriter

ryan adams is a better songwriter

nick cave is a better songwriter
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    ediger wrote:

His cover of Where Did You Sleep Last Night on Winding Sheet is amazing, too.
    believe its originally by a band called Ledbelly, its called -In The Pines- on the album, did yer know kurt cobain sings on that recording with lanegan: you can hear in the latter part of the song
    tom waits is a better songwriter

tom waits is excellant and tho I aint heard Orphans a lot of his shit isnt consistant in recent times I reckon.....nick cave has classic songs but his albums dont contain the same lusty power..................as for ryan adams, I think hes a nob EDIT: I was perhaps a lil harsh on poor adams(I just DO NOT like that guys tunes AT ALL)
  • Love the baritone vocals, though not as dynamic as little surfer Eddie.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    i like so much Mark Lanegan, he had a lot of great songs,..like carnival, river rise, don`t forget me, one way street, the last one in the world, sleep with me,..and more.
    If we talking about good songwriters let me tell you my favorites...
    Damien Rice (just listen songs like" I remember","Amie", "Volcano",The Profesor",...just love him)
    Travis Meeks (the man behind DOTN,...fuckin awesome)
    and of course Eddie Vedder with him Ukelele on (all tomorrows party 2002)....AMAZING!!!
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
  • Lanegan is an amazing songwriter, and singer. I love all his solo albums. I will add Screaming trees kick ass. He is very under rated in my opinion.
  • tom waits is a better songwriter

Ryan Adams needs a fucking editor. Everytime he sings in the shower he records it and puts out a record. As for Lanegan, try driving down a lonely highway in the middle of the night with "Scraps at Midnight" playing. He's excellent
  • I'll probably get slated for this but... I kinda feel the same way about Paul Websterberg, I really love his solo work and because I was'nt old enough to get into the Replacements at the time I found myself listening to more of his acoustic stuff. Im working back at the minute and downloading a lot of Replacements but I find the production on older records quite poor.

I thankfully got the chance to see Mark not too long ago and was'nt disapointed! I love Dust and Sweet Oblivion. He seems to collaborate with everyone. Queens of the Stone Age, Twilight Singers, Isobel Campbell etc. Apparently theres a few demos of Screamin' Trees songs recorded in 2000 when there were not signed to a label. I'd love to get my hands on them but I would'nt have a clue where to look?
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
    Evensolo05 wrote:
    I'll probably get slated for this but... I kinda feel the same way about Paul Websterberg, I really love his solo work and because I was'nt old enough to get into the Replacements at the time I found myself listening to more of his acoustic stuff.

a while back a mate gave me a disc of the Replacements: Let it Be,, he rates it highly. Have to say, though I havent given it too much time I werent all that impressed by it,,,,,,one of the songs is called boner or something.
    the two Westerburg tracks on Singles are ok, maybe a lil poppy for me but get stuck in me head(all my life waiting foe somebody,nah nah nah come an take my hand.......Oh Shit!!)
  • three words: morning glory wine
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    The trees were real good, but i never got into his solo efforts.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• lanegan is a quality songwriter, low, stay, last one in the world, carnival i could go on quality, i do prefer his work with the trees no one knows one of my all time favourite songs
    I forgot to mention Scraps at Midnight
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Legend.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Ryan Adams needs a fucking editor. Everytime he sings in the shower he records it and puts out a record. As for Lanegan, try driving down a lonely highway in the middle of the night with "Scraps at Midnight" playing. He's excellent

and that is why we love him. :)

i remember seeing lanegan in a small club a couple of years back. the man did not move more than a couple of inches the whole night. but what a voice.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

i remember seeing lanegan in a small club a couple of years back. the man did not move more than a couple of inches the whole night. but what a voice.
    I saw him with screaming trees back in 94ish and he was the same, a sticklike stationary figure
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    elmer wrote:
    believe its originally by a band called Ledbelly, its called -In The Pines- on the album, did yer know kurt cobain sings on that recording with lanegan: you can hear in the latter part of the song

I knew it was a Ledbelly song, but I had no clue Cobain sings on that recording. I can definitely hear it now that you've pointed it out.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
    ediger wrote:
    I knew it was a Ledbelly song, but I had no clue Cobain sings on that recording. I can definitely hear it now that you've pointed it out.
    and krist novosevic(or whatever) plays the bass
  • Mark Lanegan, own Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, love the whole thing, especially Borracho and Carnival . . .intrigued by his new album with Isobel, of course loved 'Nearly Lost You' . . .

Ryan Adams . . . wait, this thread is called Mark Lanegan, I'll start a new one.
    "We were but stones, your light made us stars . . ."
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165

I'll give you Waits and Cave. You don't get weak ass, pot smoking Ryan Adams. Ryan has maybe one album of good material spread out over 10 records. Someone get that jack hole a editor!
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    ediger wrote:

Cobain is also on Down in the Dark of The Winding Sheet.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891

I couldn't disagree more. I find Lanegan really interesting and the above artists really boring. To each their own though.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert