Options

New Found Respect for the Strokes

Champagne BreakfastChampagne Breakfast Posts: 1,526
edited May 2006 in Other Music
After this past week or so of PJ in New York and reading a lot of the recent interviews I have a major new respect level for the Strokes. Never really dug their music, didn't dislike it, but didn't love them. I have to admit after reading how much Ed and the band respects them and like them I got a little more interested. Then, the Strokes were at the Letterman performance, Ed sand with them that night, and I was next to Fab at the Irving plaza show. Fab was rockin out to every song. Loving it and going nuts. You can tell he was in true amazement and he was really feeling each song emotionally. I briefly spoke with him and he was a realllly cool dude. I'd love to chat with them more on PJ alone.
PJ - 36
EV - 5
(**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I hate that people now "respect" the Strokes, just cuz PJ likes em...Yeah, they like PJ, PJ likes them...Big whoop, that doesn't mean you have to like them too.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Listening to Arctic Monkeys reminded me that I liked the Strokes. Now where did I put those CDs?
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    I hate that people now "respect" the Strokes, just cuz PJ likes em...Yeah, they like PJ, PJ likes them...Big whoop, that doesn't mean you have to like them too.

yeah....to be honest, i listened to some of my strokes songs after all this "eddie vedder loves the strokes" hype floating around here. and after listening to these songs again, it just reaffirmed for me that while they're a decent band and i respect some of the stuff they do, i just find them incredibly dull and the songs are quite monotonous. just my opinion...but i guess i can't even remotely comprehend how julian is a "genius" as so many on this board assert
  • Options
    If you understood my point you would know that I meant i have new found respect for them seeing how much they love and respect Pearl Jam. I never said they are my new favorite band because PJ likes them. I could probably only name 3 strokes songs. Its just nice to see a newer band with so much admiration, dip shit.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i sold my strokes cd's for drinking money back in college. then hearing ed rave about the new album i thought id give it a shot and see if maybe they expanded their sound at all. i do enjoy the new album actually. maybe i was too quick to write them off.
  • Options
    The Strokes love to "lift" riffs.

Hell on "last Nite" not only did they steal the riff, they took the melody too. I'm surprised they weren't sued.
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I couldnt stand the strokes when they first came about, i never bought their albums but their songs for the debut album were just boring to me.

Then i heard a song from their second album, they did a video for it where it kinda looks like that film 'Tron' where he sort of sings along to the melody being played, i liked that one.

Then i hear the song on their new album where he's howling out 'why dont you come over here'.... he's a good howler that guy.

They've grown on me over the last few months, i still dont have any of their albums though, might just be a passing interest.
  • Options
    ed says "these guys are great"

he thinks "hmmm ed has good taste..."

goes and listens again with an open mind

and likes them.

it's not emulation.

and the strokes have always been awesome
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I liked the two singles I heard of the new album Juicebox and Heart In A Cage, so i downloaded the album its so so maybe 5 songs I like, the rest I find dull like I found the singles of the first two albums.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Listening to Arctic Monkeys reminded me that I liked the Strokes. Now where did I put those CDs?

Listening to Arctic Monkeys or the Strokes reminds me that I don't like either band :D
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    i agree...not going to like the strokes until they're older and put out--for what they themselves claim to be a crappy album
    I need to finish writing.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    i wonder how many people would jump on the lets hate the strokes bandwagon if ed said the strokes sucks
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I like the strokes..they are not great, but have some fun stuff. They will never have PJ level depth, but who cares. But I love the fact that a hipster band admits its love for Pearl Jam...that must piss of the indie kids so bad
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    I like the strokes..they are not great, but have some fun stuff. They will never have PJ level depth, but who cares. But I love the fact that a hipster band admits its love for Pearl Jam...that must piss of the indie kids so bad
    i think they are still young and can go ver far. they just need to get away from the all the other crappy bands today that they get lumped in with

• Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    i wonder how many people would jump on the lets hate the strokes bandwagon if ed said the strokes sucks

exactly. you either like a band or you don't....or in the case of a lot of people on this board you jump when ed says how high
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    The new album is pretty good, tails off a bit to the end but I really like it, regardless of what has or hasn't been said... that's irrelevant... it's their music that should influence you not who else they're into...
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    JSBE wrote:
    exactly. you either like a band or you don't....or in the case of a lot of people on this board you jump when ed says how high
    thank you. think about how many people became fans of pj cause they were so popular at a point of time.

• Options
    UKDave wrote:
    The new album is pretty good, tails off a bit to the end but I really like it, regardless of what has or hasn't been said... that's irrelevant... it's their music that should influence you not who else they're into...

Well said. :)
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    Once again the point of this thread was to say how I appreciate the fact that a new band like the strokes shows their admiration so much for PJ and these days its nice to see that.

Regardless of my point, I dont see the problem with being interested in a band that your favorite band recommends.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    if your point was this...
    Once again the point of this thread was to say how I appreciate the fact that a new band like the strokes shows their admiration so much for PJ and these days its nice to see that.

then that is what you should have said instead of this...
    Never really dug their music, didn't dislike it, but didn't love them. I have to admit after reading how much Ed and the band respects them and like them I got a little more interested.

because that just makes it sound like "ed and the rest of the band said it is ok to like the strokes, so now i can."

there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking a band that one of your favorite bands, actors, writers, etc recommends...it was just badly worded in your original post, that's all.

and thanks for no one picking up on the fact that i f'd up the jump / how high thing.
  • Options
    chrisopaloozachrisopalooza Posts: 347

seriously.
  • Options

hahahahaha
  • Options
    hahahahaha
    are you laughing cause its true or for some other reason

• Options
    JSBE wrote:
    if your point was this...

then that is what you should have said instead of this...

because that just makes it sound like "ed and the rest of the band said it is ok to like the strokes, so now i can."

there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking a band that one of your favorite bands, actors, writers, etc recommends...it was just badly worded in your original post, that's all.

and thanks for no one picking up on the fact that i f'd up the jump / how high thing.

once again again again...
    Regardless of my point, I dont see the problem with being interested in a band that your favorite band recommends.

& If you look at the title of this thread saying i respect the strokes for being such PJ fans is what i said & implied.

shit, i didn't know this is such a sensitive subject and issue to some people.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• Options
    are you laughing cause its true or for some other reason

i am laughing cause its true! kudos! haha
  • Options
    i am laughing cause its true! kudos! haha
    oh ok..........