New FUEL record out today

Champagne BreakfastChampagne Breakfast Posts: 1,526
edited August 2007 in Other Music
The new Brett Scallion-less fuel record entitled "Angels & Devils" is out today.
I was a huge fuel fan with Brett. Not to into them without him. But I picked up the album anyway. Anyone have a chance to listen to it yet?
I have not.
PJ - 36
EV - 5
(**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I plan on picking up tomorrow morning.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • I've listened and it's definately not as good. Scallions kept them from sounding like a totally bland rock band and now that he's gone...
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    i'm going to see the new fuel on 9/6 for free in baltimore. scallions is a gentleman. I will miss him in fuel.

pasting in an interview, originally from alternative addiction but i found it from a fan's thread on fuelies.net

As if fronting a multi platinum rock band isn’t enough of an incredible accomplishment, Brett Scallions hasn’t even thought about resting on his laurels after parting ways with Fuel in early 2006. Instead, he picked up a Bass guitar and helped form new rock band Circus Diablo, who just released their self titled debut album on Koch Records.

“I never really started playing bass until a couple years ago, but I’ve known how to play guitar since I was like 13,” Scallions told Alternative Addiction. “If you know how to play guitar, you can play bass, it’s one thing at a time basically. But at the same time, playing guitar versus playing bass are two separate things, because when you’re playing bass you are laying down the foundation for the entire band - you and the drummer.”

Scallions was clearly enthusiastic about being a part of the new band, and seems to be having a blast with them out on this year’s Ozzfest tour.

“I love these guys, and I love making music with them. We are planning on making another record, maybe next year. We’ve already started writing stuff together, so we’re looking forward to the future.”

Scallions also has had the honor spending time on the road singing with Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger of Doors in their band “Riders on the Storm.” Scallions struggled to describe just how amazing the experience of singing with these rock legends is.

“It’s something that you can try to describe all you want but no one ever really can grasp how cool, and fun, and intense it is until you are actually standing there where Jim Morrison once stood,” he explained. “You look to your left and there’s Robby Krieger there just laying down all those beautiful riffs, and then Ray Manzerek there on your right. It’s pretty surreal to be right there in the middle of all that, it’s pretty fun.”

While Scallions seems to be on top of the world right now, its hard to believe less than two years ago he was in one of the lowest places in his life. He shocked everyone in the winter of 2006 when he walked away from fronting the band Fuel. While Fuel guitarist and songwriter Carl Bell told Alternative Addiction last month that Scallions left the band mostly due to struggling with his voice (see article), Scallions explained that had nothing to do with it.

“The last Fuel record we did, nobody was into it, at least not in the band. Speaking for myself, there was no fun in it, because there was no activity within the band. It was kinda a one man show really, and what’s the fun in that? The word “band” doesn’t even come into play in a situation like that. It wasn’t an enjoyable environment for me, and I don’t think for any of us really, except for Carl maybe – because Carl’s mind was set into his songs, his music, and that’s the way it was. For me, growing up and being a fan of music, being a fan of creativity, you wanna be a part of things, you wanna actually feel like you are in a band, and it just wasn’t feeling like that anymore.”

As far as the comments from his former band mate, Scallions was disappointed by them, but was reluctant to take any shots back at Bell.

“I’ve read the interviews, both with Kevin and Carl, and it breaks my heart to see the road that they’ve taken. I don’t know if they are doing it out of frustration, maybe things are going as well in the Fuel camp as Carl would hoped for, so he’s gotta take shots at me? But I’m gonna take the high road here, I’m not gonna fire back. And trust me…I could lay out all kinds of dirty laundry if I wanted to. But its not about that, this is about being happy where you are, loving life, loving what you do.”

Scallions explained that he reached a point with Fuel where he just could no longer go on with the band, and forced himself to quit.

“I was depressed, I was drinking and doing all kinds of drugs and stuff that I shouldn’t have been doing, but I was depressed about the environment that I was in. I wasn’t happy, and there was just one day I was like ‘You know what, you’re gonna kill yourself if you keep doing this, you gotta get out of this situation, you have to move on with your life and do something that makes you happy and feel good about yourself.”

Putting everything behind him, Scallions didn’t hesitate to say how proud he was to have been a part of such a successful band, and how he wishes that he could have remained a part of the band.

“I am very proud of what we did as Fuel; it’s a shame that it didn’t stay the way it was in the beginning, when everyone was excited about where we were, and what we were doing,” he explained. “I will never take anything away from what we did with Fuel, and what I was a part of. We had a good time there together, but sometimes the frustration out weighs the pros of things.”

Scallions plans on continuing his work with Circus Diablo and Riders on the Storm for the foreseeable future, as well as releasing a new album that he’s spent the last few years writing.

“Jonathan Mover who played drums on the first Fuel record, he and I are doing a record together where I am doing the bulk of the writing, I’ll be singing it, and playing guitar, and I’ll have some guest guitar players come in,” Scallions explained. “It’s very exciting for me; it’s a record I’ve dreamed of doing for a really long time.”

Scallions made it clear this would not be a solo record, but wouldn’t reveal a band name in which the album would released under.

“We’ve got a few names in the hat right now, but I’m reluctant to say any of them right now because I wanna make sure that we have the name ready to go when it comes time to put it out.”
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Nice, I'll be anxious to hear that record that he's coming out with.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Fuel sucks now
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Posts: 1,028
    Fuel sucks now
    yeah i liked their first album, second album ok, third album sucked
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    yeah i liked their first album, second album ok, third album sucked

They had a few good tunes but now they seem just as uncool as all the other corporate bands out there (Nickelback, Daughtry, Three Days Grace, etc)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    Fuel without Brett Scallion is not Fuel. Even though their guitarist is the main songwriter, Scallion defines Fuel with his straight-out voice.
    despite scallion's fame, he will still take time to answer a fan's myspace question.
    toryn green (new front man of fuel) seems to think he's too good :D
    or maybe I'm too old and he does not want to waste his precious time responding to me. his eyebrows look like a drag queen's.

I downloaded toryn singing "raining roses" with his old band patience worth and I really like it but then again, I like shitty poppy mainstream sounding c*ck rock like velvet revolver, NB, or three days grace.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    despite scallion's fame, he will still take time to answer a fan's myspace question.
    toryn green (new front man of fuel) seems to think he's too good :D
    or maybe I'm too old and he does not want to waste his precious time responding to me. his eyebrows look like a drag queen's.

I downloaded toryn singing "raining roses" with his old band patience worth and I really like it but then again, I like shitty poppy mainstream sounding c*ck rock like velvet revolver, NB, or three days grace.

For the record, Velvet Revolver is awesome. I was pleased with Libertad.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Downloaded the new one, not very impressed at all. I used to be a big fan of this band, Untitled, Bittersweet, Jesus Or A Gun, Down, Empty Spaces, Easy etc are all great tunes - but this new stuff just sounds very bland. Ho Hum.
    For the record, Velvet Revolver is awesome. I was pleased with Libertad.

I like VR. I liked STP too. And now I enjoy watching duff play the guitar without a shirt on.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    Musically I think Fuel has always be a pretty strong band. But sometimes I think the lyrics are kind of bland, especially on Natural Selection. But Sunburn had some fucking awesome songs!! Shimmer: "She dreams a champagne dream, strawberry surprise, pink linen on white paper, lavender and cream, fields of butterflies, reality escapes her," love those lines. I thought the new album was decent, Toryn Green has a grindier voice than Brett and the drum tracks are kickass, but I think more could have came out of the album alltogether.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    happy belated birthday, champagne breakfast.

fuel will be on the tonight show tonight.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • lastexitlastexit Posts: 257
    Assuming members of Pearl Jam read this portion of the forum, I find it hard to believe they would not be extremely disappointed in their fans taste in other music. All in all, it's simple, weak, predictable, disgusting and highly disappointing.
  • Whenever going to their website I would have to turn their first single off the always played in the background, it was just unbearable to listen to that whiny voice and cheesy music. It's a shame because I like their old stuff.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I got to see the new FUEL lineup live

Toryn has a good voice live, he seemed winded by the end though

All in all I think its good he sounds very similar to Brett which is a plus with the old songs

I still think Sunburn and Something Like Human are their best albums, but I'll pick this one up
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    when fuel was on leno on friday, it was the first time toryn green was on national tv
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    I got to see the new FUEL lineup live

Toryn has a good voice live, he seemed winded by the end though

All in all I think its good he sounds very similar to Brett which is a plus with the old songs

I still think Sunburn and Something Like Human are their best albums, but I'll pick this one up

toryn looks like he's gained weight compared to some old myspace pics.
    he better get offline and onto the treadmill before they tour.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    iluvcats wrote:
    when fuel was on leno on friday, it was the first time toryn green was on national tv

They really could have gone with something a bit more rocking for a first single, Wasted Time is such a boring predictable song.
    carl bell (of fuel) posted on fuelies.net, that if you do not see their new cd angels and devils at a store, to post the name and address of the store.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    They really could have gone with something a bit more rocking for a first single, Wasted Time is such a boring predictable song.

I'm old and I like it :)
    I like sad songs about love that's gone bad!
    10/10 - Brad in B'more