Where is all the good music these days?

IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Hey everyone...I haven't bought any new music for a while..i've only bought one album this year so far. Everything seems so lackluster...i'm not sure if its just me, or what...I have thousands of albums, and i'm a hardcore music fan...but the last 6 months to a year have me seriously wondering where the quality is...other than In Rainbows most releases seem somewhat boring and run of the mill. Even bands I've always liked seem to be falling into that territory in the last little while. Mainstream rock is obviously beyond hope..its overdone and generic now. Or else there's just indie bands who try really hard to be pretentious and edgy but don't offer anything really exciting or refreshing anyways. Hip Hop artists are more interested in starting clothing lines than making good albums.

Can anyone please please recommend something fresh, exciting and authentic to listen to? Something that really gets your blood flowing..something that gives you chills...is that stuff even out there anymore? I want the feeling I had when I heard Pearl Jam for the first time..or got into Radiohead...or stayed up all night listening to Massive Attack. I'm open to any genre..any style..it just has to excite my musical tastebuds again.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    it's definitely you
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • dunno, i kinda feel the same way. in rainbows is pretty much the only thing i've liked lately as well.

i only have a few records yet to get that i don't have...couple smashing pumpkins i never got, the last audioslave record, thom yorke's solo album and the new jack johnson. oh, and mirrorball...can never find it!

i guess you just have to play what you like and hope new, good stuff finds its way to your ears. be open, there's a lot of music out there.
  • Igottago wrote:
    Hey everyone...I haven't bought any new music for a while..i've only bought one album this year so far. Everything seems so lackluster...i'm not sure if its just me, or what...I have thousands of albums, and i'm a hardcore music fan...but the last 6 months to a year have me seriously wondering where the quality is...other than In Rainbows most releases seem somewhat boring and run of the mill. Even bands I've always liked seem to be falling into that territory in the last little while. Mainstream rock is obviously beyond hope..its overdone and generic now. Or else there's just indie bands who try really hard to be pretentious and edgy but don't offer anything really exciting or refreshing anyways. Hip Hop artists are more interested in starting clothing lines than making good albums.

Can anyone please please recommend something fresh, exciting and authentic to listen to? Something that really gets your blood flowing..something that gives you chills...is that stuff even out there anymore? I want the feeling I had when I heard Pearl Jam for the first time..or got into Radiohead...or stayed up all night listening to Massive Attack. I'm open to any genre..any style..it just has to excite my musical tastebuds again.

Thanks in advance.

Same here actually, haven't bought any new albums this year. But then again, I haven't really been keeping track of new releases and stuff. So in my case, I'm pretty positive it's just me. But no bands with the stature of Arcade Fire or Modest Mouse have relased albums this year (except Radiohead obviously). And those I would definitely have noticed.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Igottago wrote:

Thanks in advance.
    My Morning Jacket.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Igottago wrote:

Thanks in advance.
    if you like radiohead and massive attack, buy the sigur ros white album... it's FANTASTIC! Lock yourself in a room, lie down and turn off the light and put on the music... like a flotation tank.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    (One of Thom Yorke's favourite bands) the black keys have an album coming out april 1st. Much more than just a blues outfit they are actually masters of minimalism. Interestingly Danger mouse is producing the new release.

Last years Cold War Kids release was exceptional. You might not like most indie bands but CWK have an alternative-soul feel about them. The future imitating the past sort of thing. Great lyrics and imagery in the album. Very cinematic.

Its hard to find good music these days because of its excess, it is still out there though.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    http://www.myspace.com/sonsofalbionuk

:D

I haven't bought any new music in ages either. I've gotten music that's new to ME (like Led Zeppelin) but not that much new bands or stuff like that.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • doujodoujo Posts: 285
    check out Black Mountain. They have two albums, self-titled and In the Future. Both are excellent. I have been listening to them almost non-stop for a while.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Get the Gutter Twins Album, it's proper Bo!
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Radiohead, Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, My Morning Jacket are all pretty good

and to a lesser extent Interpol and Kings of Leon are up there too

Plus, I actually think some Hip Hop is really good. I think Kayne West and Eminem are good artists and I enjoy alot (not all) of their songs
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Branch out with your listening more. Just because the mainstream might be a bit low on classics coming out at the moment doesn't mean there isn't amazing music being released all over the world.

There has NEVER been a bad time for music. Even during hair metal the 80s alternative and punk scenes were amazing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Igottago wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I feel the same. maybe we are just old.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Igottago wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Its only been a few months but so far this year has been crap, just a bunch of average indie bands releasing stuff.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    leethal wrote:
    (One of Thom Yorke's favourite bands) the black keys have an album coming out april 1st. Much more than just a blues outfit they are actually masters of minimalism. Interestingly Danger mouse is producing the new release.

Last years Cold War Kids release was exceptional. You might not like most indie bands but CWK have an alternative-soul feel about them. The future imitating the past sort of thing. Great lyrics and imagery in the album. Very cinematic.

Its hard to find good music these days because of its excess, it is still out there though.
    Yep, the black keys are fantastic... I also really like kings of leon... and not just cos of the PJ connection with either of them but they're genuinely good bands.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Yep, the black keys are fantastic... I also really like kings of leon... and not just cos of the PJ connection with either of them but they're genuinely good bands.

Totally agree on KOL, fantastic band. Not heard Black Keys, what songs would you recommend?
    Totally agree on KOL, fantastic band. Not heard Black Keys, what songs would you recommend?
    I recommend the entire album:

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Potion-Black-Keys/dp/B000GPIPD8

I particularly like the flame, goodbye babylon, just got to be, your touch... and all of them really :)

VERY bluesy :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

I particularly like the flame, goodbye babylon, just got to be, your touch... and all of them really :)

Cool, I'll check them out.
    Cool, I'll check them out.
    Excellent... you won't be very disappointed. Kinda led zeppeliny if ya like that kinda thing :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Excellent... you won't be very disappointed. Kinda led zeppeliny if ya like that kinda thing :)

I certainly do like that sort of thing! Just heard a couple of songs on their myspace, and now checking some stuff out on youtube. Sounds pretty damn good to me.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    you know its been made right you do know that right
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • http://www.myspace.com

Music--->Top Artists

Then just pick a genre and browse.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119

I second that recommendation for anyone who hasn't heard it.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Igottago wrote:

Thanks in advance.

In no particular order:

Dead Confederate - Dead Confederate EP
    The Whigs - Mission Control
    Black Mountain - In The Future
    Throw Me The Statue - Moonbeams
    The Heavenly States - Delayer
    The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath
    The Big Sleep - Son Of The Tiger
    Dead Meadow - Old Growth
    Bob Mould - District Line
    The Diggs - Ctl-Alt-Del
    British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
    Blood On The Wall - Liferz
    Black Eyes & Neckties - Apparition!
    Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals

I actually think there's been a ton of really, REALLY good music released lately. If you have iTunes, I recommend subscribing to the KEXP Song of the Day Podcast, the Sound Opinions podcast, and the NPR All Songs Considered Podcast....all 3 are solid sources of discovering great new music that isn't neccessarily mainstream.

Anyway, most of those bands I just listed have MySpace pages and you can listen to some of them there and decide for yourself, but I would recomment any of those albums.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Thanks for the suggestions...but I honestly already own all that stuff. My Morning Jacket are amazing and one of my favourite bands..not much can measure up to them. Sigur Ros..check...Kings of Leon..check....Interpol...check...Black Mountain...check..I own all this stuff. I do branch out with my musical tastes and selections.

The difference is that other than My Morning Jacket and Interpol, most stuff that people hype up seems to fall short in my ears. Kings of Leon had one great album, Black Mountain are nothing special.

Maybe that's the problem...people keep hyping up these bands and I do listen to them, but then they fall short. Its almost like there is TOO much out there sometimes, and too much of it people are trying to suggest is "brilliant".

What I'm trying to do is buy less music and just make sure its great. rather than just buy every album that I hear is great.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    People suggest a lot of bands as great because the way the market is right now appeals to niches! People can find a band that appeals specifically to them, so they may suggest it's great when someone else might not get it. Like you said, there's almost too much out there but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Keep listening to new bands and something will jump out at you eventually.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    fowls wrote:
    People suggest a lot of bands as great because the way the market is right now appeals to niches! People can find a band that appeals specifically to them, so they may suggest it's great when someone else might not get it. Like you said, there's almost too much out there but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Keep listening to new bands and something will jump out at you eventually.

Yeah I guess that's true...with the internet and everything it seems everyone can start hyping any band..and sometimes IMO that hype is completely unwarranted. So I always buy this music expecting something great and its just "ok". Happens way too much these days. How do we sift through it all to get to the real cream of the crop?
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Indeed. I think part of the problem is that there's a craze to be the first to 'discover' a band. Nowadays if a band seems to have the vaguest chance of success everyone will jump on the bandwagon to say they loved them first. It's difficult to find any true new talent, and to be honest I've given up trying. Found plenty of fun new rock bands who are good live, but no one who particularly pushes the envelope.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Igottago wrote:
    Yeah I guess that's true...with the internet and everything it seems everyone can start hyping any band..and sometimes IMO that hype is completely unwarranted. So I always buy this music expecting something great and its just "ok". Happens way too much these days. How do we sift through it all to get to the real cream of the crop?

I guess we're just gonna have to start killing shitty bands. haha :)
  • i dont really think theres sth good now, i had my hopes on audioslave or maybe system of a down, but i havent heard anything so good that really worth it, i mean theres nothing with that power and feeling and no-simple-musical-structure as pearl jam or other bands from ten year ago, and im not old im 19 so you can see its not because youre old, i think theres nothing SO good..