Pink Floyd

2»

Comments

• El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i've always liked obscured by clouds, a nice mellow album.

Animals has great writing but the songs can be a little long
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    I can't believe there hasn't been enough love for THE WALL. I think it's the most brilliant album ever made. What a story, and the songs work just as great as individual singles as they do 1 cohesive piece of art.

...And to ECHO everyone else here, Animals is awesome. I love "SHEEP."
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Other than In The Flesh, Mother, Hey You, and Comfortably Numb The Wall comes off as one of several lame Roger Waters solo albums. Never got the allure of that one. It was all downhill after Animals.
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    The Vacant wrote:
    Other than In The Flesh, Mother, Hey You, and Comfortably Numb The Wall comes off as one of several lame Roger Waters solo albums. Never got the allure of that one. It was all downhill after Animals.

In the flesh is my favorite. No love for Goodbye Blue Sky? Waiting for the Worms? Young Lust?

My one friend hates The Wall. He can't stand the voices the characters take on. He says they remind him of Sesame Street Muppets, ha ha.

Admitedly, it took me a long time to like The Wall. I didn't listen to it for years, and then it just clicked for me.

I guess being a fan of the Wall I should check out more Roger Waters solo stuff?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    I guess being a fan of the Wall I should check out more Roger Waters solo stuff?

yes, "Pro and Cons of Hitchhiking" in particular

his other albums "Amused to Death" and "Radio KAOS" are pretty good too. they are MUCH MUCH better than the albums "Floyd" put out after he left (Lapse of reason and Division Bell)
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    his other albums "Amused to Death" and "Radio KAOS" are pretty good too. they are MUCH MUCH better than the albums "Floyd" put out after he left (Lapse of reason and Division Bell)

I whole-heartedly disagree.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I can't believe there hasn't been enough love for THE WALL. I think it's the most brilliant album ever made. What a story, and the songs work just as great as individual singles as they do 1 cohesive piece of art.

...And to ECHO everyone else here, Animals is awesome. I love "SHEEP."
    I absolutely love the Wall, one of my favorite albums. And I always draw flak because I prefer the Wall over DSOTM....however, I recommend a lot of unloved radio step-kids (Like Animals) because far too few people appreciate them.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    BinFrog wrote:
    I whole-heartedly disagree.

you're entitled to.

I dunno, I agree with Gilmour that just because Waters left the band, they shouldn't have had to stop. I totally agree with that. However, Momentary Lapse of Reason is a complete fraud and every song is terrible. it has such a generic 80's sound. The Dogs of War? gimme a break. the worst thing about the album is that he brought in so many co-writers and session musicians. outside co-writers on a Floyd record? same with how his wife wrote most of the Division Bell lyrics. fuck that. If Gilmour and Wright could have managed to come up with all the material themselves, then I'd at least consider those two albums to be part of the Floyd cataloge...though I'm not a fan of them. but since they didn't, to me, the Final Cut is Pink Floyd's last album.

Waters said it best himself in his Penthouse interview (paraphrased a bit): "I have no problem with David furthering his career. it's the idea of him calling his solo career "Pink Floyd" so it sells that bothers me" he also noted how he suggested that Final Cut be a solo album because Dave and Nick didn't like it nor did they contribute much but they said no because, as Waters said, "They know that songs don't grow on trees."

on the bonus disc of the Beatles anthology, George Harrison commented on how he, Ringo, and Paul have always been asked after John died if they would reunite as The Beatles. he said "that'd be like how Pink Floyd is making records without Roger Waters but still calling themselves Pink Floyd"

all that being said, Waters solo stuff isn't for everyone and if you like those final two Floyd albums better, that's fine for you. but they're not for me. the only thing about Pink Floyd carrying on after Waters left that I enjoy is the version of Astronomy Domine on the PULSE album.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Here's one never mentioned:

The Final Cut

mostly a Roger Waters solo album, with Wright being fired, and Gilmour and Mason just showing up to fill their instrumental requirements.

Still a great album. Some of my favorite Floyd tracks on there. Goes great with World War II movies, or with that Band of Brothers show.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    It's easy to get into the post-Waters albums as long as you don't go into them expecting it to be like the earlier stuff. I love AMLOR. "Learning To Fly", "One Slip", "Sorrow"...absolutely great stuff. Everyone always brings up "Dogs Of War" (which I think is decent), and the production (yeah it's a bit 80's, but not tooooo bad) when they rip on AMLOR. I like it a lot. But yeah, it is more like a D.G. solo album than a PF album. That I will agree with.

It's like how people say they love Dominoes pizza. No, you like Dominoes' version of pizza...but that ain't pizza. I guess I like it because I don't compare it to previous PF efforts.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    itsevobaby wrote:
    the first track on atom heart mother......dear lord.....emmense. instrumental, but EPIC. it's like being swept up in a movie.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble... but this is in fact THE greatest song that Pink Floyd recorded!:D

Though I don't know why you put it was an instrumental, it's got vocals... great vocals!!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Many of Pink Floyd's songs need to be listened to in the context of their Albums. Hearing bits and pices on a greatest hits is more like a sampler.
    Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall all tell stories and should be listened to from beginning to end. For example, Dogs and Sheep make much more sense when played within it's original concept.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Cosmo wrote:
    Many of Pink Floyd's songs need to be listened to in the context of their Albums. Hearing bits and pices on a greatest hits is more like a sampler.
    Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall all tell stories and should be listened to from beginning to end. For example, Dogs and Sheep make much more sense when played within it's original concept.
    Quoted for truth.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'm a Syd man. Post-Syd Floyd does very little for me.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Quoted for truth.
    Also.. being a little stoned, helps.
    Listen to 'Dark Side', 'Wish You Were Here' or 'Animals' on headphones whilst stoned.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Trailer wrote:
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubble... but this is in fact THE greatest song that Pink Floyd recorded!:D

Though I don't know why you put it was an instrumental, it's got vocals... great vocals!!
    oops, typo, meant to be 'mostly' :o

incredible song. isn't dave doing something live with it at the moment?
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Buy Wish You Were Here and Animals NOW!

i agree, best of theirs right there. However it's been years since I listened Pink Floyd. I listened to them everyday non stop for almost a whole year and then one day got tired and haven't gone back. Still like them a lot though.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    itsevobaby wrote:
    oops, typo, meant to be 'mostly' :o

I was just fucking with you:D I should have said great chants;)
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.