My (long) music year in review

asgoodasedasgoodased Posts: 109
edited January 2008 in Other Music
I do this every year and send it out to friends. This year I posted it on Live Journal for all to see. If anyone is interested, it's here:

http://soundanalysis.livejournal.com/633.html

(Don't beat me up too much for the average "Into the Wild" review. I love it, just think it is more of a niche product.)
I am right by your side...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh, feel free to comment in it, too (or here) - it's good to see what everyone thinks...
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    pretty cool. thanks.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Thanks for sharing that. I liked how you gave both Zeitgeist and Neon Bible about the same score, but yet you seemed to give Zeitgeist a much more positive review than you did with NB.
    And I think you were right on the money with Into The Wild.

I was a bit confused by Icky Thumps rating. I think you gave it like and 8.2 or something. But yet you stated there are about a five song stretch that just didn't measure up. That seems like a very generous rating for and album with almost half the songs being more a less a letdown.

But other than that. I enjoyed reading this
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Thanks for sharing that. I liked how you gave both Zeitgeist and Neon Bible about the same score, but yet you seemed to give Zeitgeist a much more positive review than you did with NB.
    And I think you were right on the money with Into The Wild.

I was a bit confused by Icky Thumps rating. I think you gave it like and 8.2 or something. But yet you stated there are about a five song stretch that just didn't measure up. That seems like a very generous rating for and album with almost half the songs being more a less a letdown.

But other than that. I enjoyed reading this

Hey thanks for reading and your thoughts!

Probably the reason Neon Bible and Icky Thump weren't given great reviews but pretty decent scores is because I expected more. But, even their bad songs are better than most other artists' gold. I'll be honest, I was expecting the Pumpkins album to be pure trash. It suprised me, so that's why I had more good things to say about it.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Your reviews were crap and for your albums of the year..........I think you ripped them right off from an actual music critic
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Your reviews were crap and for your albums of the year..........I think you ripped them right off from an actual music critic

When you're able to form a coherent sentence, then you may criticize.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Very cool.

I've almost sold myself on buyingthe okkervil river album.

I'm glad you liked the wilco album for what it was. It seemed like when it first came out people did not like it because Wilco did not make the album they expected them to make with the inclusion of Pat and Nels in the band. Instead Wilco made an album they were comfortable with ... which usually produces better music.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Your reviews were crap and for your albums of the year..........I think you ripped them right off from an actual music critic
    What a negative comment. Ever hear of constructive criticism?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    What a negative comment. Ever hear of constructive criticism?

I do write them just for fun, so it's not like I spend weeks on it. As for my "best of" list - those were all my choosing. I don't think Silverchair was on a single "Best of..." list that I saw, so that alone makes you wrong...
  • intodeep wrote:
    Very cool.

I've almost sold myself on buyingthe okkervil river album.

I'm glad you liked the wilco album for what it was. It seemed like when it first came out people did not like it because Wilco did not make the album they expected them to make with the inclusion of Pat and Nels in the band. Instead Wilco made an album they were comfortable with ... which usually produces better music.

Very laid back, very cool. For those that haven't heard it - if you like the single, you'll pretty much like the whole album. On "A Ghost Is Born" I felt like they stretched WAY too much. I know a lot of others liked it, but I thought it was crap.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    asgoodased wrote:
    I do write them just for fun, so it's not like I spend weeks on it. As for my "best of" list - those were all my choosing. I don't think Silverchair was on a single "Best of..." list that I saw, so that alone makes you wrong...

She/he was referring to pjoasisrule's comment.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • meme wrote:
    She/he was referring to pjoasisrule's comment.

Yeah, I meant to quote both but it only pulled the one. Oops. No offense!
    asgoodased wrote:
    Very laid back, very cool. For those that haven't heard it - if you like the single, you'll pretty much like the whole album. On "A Ghost Is Born" I felt like they stretched WAY too much. I know a lot of others liked it, but I thought it was crap.

No offense taken :)

I liked a ghost is born but i thought it was all over the place. I liked many of the songs individualy but i did not think it worked well as an album.

After reading your review and lookingat some things i may buy Okkerivil river tongiht. Dr Dog is another one i've been on the fence about.

We shall see.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    No offense taken :)

I liked a ghost is born but i thought it was all over the place. I liked many of the songs individualy but i did not think it worked well as an album.

After reading your review and lookingat some things i may buy Okkerivil river tongiht. Dr Dog is another one i've been on the fence about.

We shall see.

I'd definetly recommend both - though I just got Dr. Dog not too long ago and didn't get it as many listens as I would've liked before writting its review.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I'm happy to see We All Belong made your list. Despite having one of the worst band names I've ever come across I think Dr. Dog deserves all the attention they can get. They're so much fun, and I love the retro feel.

And I must add that I love Sky Blue Sky (and sorry, but it doesn't sound like elevator music to me), yet I'm pretty sure A Ghost is Born is my favorite Wilco album. Aside from the drone on "Less Than You Think" I love every second of that record. Not to mention that "Theologians," "I'm a Wheel," "Wishful Thinking," "At Least That's What You Said," . . . pretty much EVERY track on there qualify as some of my favorite songs.

I have to say, I love Wilco's more creative stuff (clearly), but I also adore Jeff Tweedy "the plain spoken folkie," as I believe I remember seeing him called in one magazine or another. My dream album would be a straight-out acoustic/folk/roots/country album, but I wouldn't be disappointed by something crazy (or in between) either. I swear this is the band I've been looking for all my life!

Okay, enough gushing! Sorry to go so far off topic. Sometimes I can't help myself!
  • soclose wrote:
    I'm happy to see We All Belong made your list. Despite having one of the worst band names I've ever come across I think Dr. Dog deserves all the attention they can get. They're so much fun, and I love the retro feel.

And I must add that I love Sky Blue Sky (and sorry, but it doesn't sound like elevator music to me), yet I'm pretty sure A Ghost is Born is my favorite Wilco album. Aside from the drone on "Less Than You Think" I love every second of that record. Not to mention that "Theologians," "I'm a Wheel," "Wishful Thinking," "At Least That's What You Said," . . . pretty much EVERY track on there qualify as some of my favorite songs.

I have to say, I love Wilco's more creative stuff (clearly), but I also adore Jeff Tweedy "the plain spoken folkie," as I believe I remember seeing him called in one magazine or another. My dream album would be a straight-out acoustic/folk/roots/country album, but I wouldn't be disappointed by something crazy (or in between) either. I swear this is the band I've been looking for all my life!

Okay, enough gushing! Sorry to go so far off topic. Sometimes I can't help myself!

I've had a lot of people tell me they loved "Ghost", so I'm used to people disagreeing with my on my opinion of that album. It's all good, as long as you like it!

I agree on Dr. Dog's name. I figured they were a rap artist the first time I heard the name.