For Squirrels

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Anybody remember the band For Squirrels? I was going through my stored CDs this weekend when I came across their first (and only) major-label album ("Example"). I hadn't listened to it in ages, so I put it on, and remembered that I once considered it to be one of the greatest albums I had ever heard. It brought tears to my eyes to listen to the heartfelt innocence of the lead singer's voice, and to think about what the band could have become if not for the tragedy that struck just as they were gaining recognition (the band's tour bus blew a tire and flipped over on the way back from a show at CBGB in New York, killing the bassist and lead singer).

The band was influenced heavily by R.E.M. and Nirvana, but their music was so much more than that. If anybody wants to check out a few of their tunes, I highly recommend it. You can find them on myspace at http://myspace.com/forsquirrels. In particular, check out "Mighty K.C." -- a song about Kurt Cobain that you might just recognize if you were around, and listening to "alternative" radio in the mid 1990's. "Disenchanted" is probably my favorite of the songs on the page, though...
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yeah, i loved those guys. I lost the album, but still have a few tracks on my computer back home. I think they were from Gainesville, Florida. When i lived there, we saw them play a few times. Unfortunately sad ending - they would have become even better in my opinion. Mighty KC is beatiful, yet haunting.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • i have the cd, the vhs tape, and a few bootlegs. havent listened to them in ages though.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    yeah, my ex was good friends with them and their manager (can't remember if he was the singer's or bassist's brother) and she told me great stories about them in gainesville. they apparently had a good following up there. i know mr. stipe even came over a few times to listen to them/give them advice, etc. it is a shame what happened. could've been the best band from gainesville since mr. petty.
    Live Free or Die!
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I love these guys. I agree, what a shame. I'd liked their music I'd heard on the radio, and then listened to a friend's copy of the album and was hooked. One of my favorite cd's that time has seemed to have forgotten.
  • i have the cd, the vhs tape, and a few bootlegs. havent listened to them in ages though.

Vhs tape? Bootlegs? Wow, what I wouldn't do to get copies of some of that stuff. Any chance you could hook a guy up?

(By the way, I purchased their rare first album, called Baypath Road -- which they released before signing with a label -- off eBay the other day for $42. Anyone who wants me to burn them a copy, drop me a PM!).
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • I wrote about this a few months ago on my Forgotten Disc Friday blog...

http://forgottendiscfriday.blogspot.com/2006/04/fdf-volume-1-issue-7-for-squirrels.html