Brian Jonestown Massacre

Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
edited January 2007 in Other Music
I had a friend suggest I listen to some of their stuff. And I am glad he did. The singer Anton, this guy can write some good shit. Alot of it sounds rough, and bare, but they make it work.

The first album I listened to was "Thank God For Mental Illness" and the he showed me "Dig" a documentary on BJM and the Dandy Warhols. The DVD was pretty cool, it gives you a little insight on how BJM works. You also realize how fucked up Anton is in the head.

But all in all, great band, great albums. Any other fans out there, if not check 'em out.
Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yeah, they rock. i like the warhols better though. dig is definitely entertaining.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • Tepid Peppermint Wonderland is a good place to start...

I loaned it to my boss. He loved it!
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    well shit, my buddy has been nagging me for like a month to listen to them and i did today for the first time. i downloaded the tepid peppermint one.

FUCKING AWESOME is all i have to say. Total throwback minimal chill out sixties stuff. GOD ITS GREAT.

Listen to their music! Go now.

I love this band.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Dang.

Check out the songs:

Aneneme
    It Girl
    Ballad of Jim Jones
    Spanish Bee

The last four are off of Thank God For Mental Illness, which is my fav.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
    will do.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Total throwback minimal chill out sixties stuff. GOD ITS GREAT.

Listen to their music! Go now.

I love this band.

yep lots of velvet underground sound going on here.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    wasnt Anton the guy that said "the only thing Clapton ever did was throw his baby out of a window"

?
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • http://www.stereogum.com/archives/001518.html

Yeah.... what a fucking prick.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I like 'em too. And they have most of their music for free download on their website.
    Cock Fight.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    http://www.stereogum.com/archives/001518.html

Yeah.... what a fucking prick.

honestly, I'm not even the biggest clapton fan, but that was so low.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    Not a fan of what I saw on Dig & don't care to support Anton or his habits
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
    too bad he said that. clapton is ALWAYS ranked #2 guitarist ever. under hendrix and before page. what a bastard that anton is. too bad he makes such cool , chill music.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i saw BJM at a small club a couple of years back and i can honestly say up til that time it was singularly the best and worst live experience of my life. anton was so wasted that night it was ridiculous but when they actually played the music it was awesome. he is a fuckup but all i listen to these days is the music. all the rest is static.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say