Van Halen - WTF?

FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Man, it just gets crazier and crazier with this band. Now Michael Anthony is out? That's a shame. I always liked that guy. By all accounts very fan friendly and down-to-earth. VH isn't the same without Mikey. And what the hell is that nut-job Eddie thinking by taking his 15 year-old kid out on tour with him?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/10/music.vanhalen.reut/index.html
DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
HTFD-6/27/08
ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
OKC-11/16/13
SEA-12/6/13
TUL-10/8/14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I wonder if it has anything to do with Michael Anthony still being buddy-buddy with Sammy Hagar???? Anthony's side band did a tour with Hagar recently.......
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    tybird wrote:
    I wonder if it has anything to do with Michael Anthony still being buddy-buddy with Sammy Hagar???? Anthony's side band did a tour with Hagar recently.......

Yeah, Eddie was pissed because Mike went on tour with Sammy and they put a little side project together with some drummer and called themselves "The Other Side" and played a set of VH songs every night. Regardless, Eddie is a prick and has been for the last several years. I don't see how any VH fan can call this Van Halen, even if Roth is singing.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Yeah, Eddie was pissed because Mike went on tour with Sammy and they put a little side project together with some drummer and called themselves "The Other Side" and played a set of VH songs every night. Regardless, Eddie is a prick and has been for the last several years. I don't see how any VH fan can call this Van Halen, even if Roth is singing.
    I'm sorry.............I was a big fan years ago in the late 1970's and early 1980's, but DLR's shtick got rather old rather quickly around "1984" and his solo EP. He was at best an average singer, but a good front man if he wasn't too deep into the Jack Daniels. Michael and Eddie's backing vocals saved the day for many an early VH song. I suspect that they would have to have three or four on-stage back-up singers to pull off a reunion tour.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    if he wasn't too deep into the Jack Daniels

Someone posted this on the DBT board about Diamond Dave (I have no clue about it's authenticity):

"...all I remember is Diamond Dave doing some Karate moves, swill on what we thought was Jack (apple juice) Daniels"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    Someone posted this on the DBT board about Diamond Dave (I have no clue about it's authenticity):

"...all I remember is Diamond Dave doing some Karate moves, swill on what we thought was Jack (apple juice) Daniels"

PBM
    He was seriously wasted the first time that I ever saw Van Halen live (1982-Diver Down tour). He would forget lyrics..........do some "Karate moves"....do his little shout.......end the song early and try the next one on the set list. Awful......awful show. For whatever reason, I gave them another chance and went to see them on the 1984 tour. Much better show........but I have seen much better (including Sammy Hagar solo in 1983).
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Michael Anthony being out of future VH possibilities is no suprise after hearing Ed about a month or so ago on Howard Stern. He mentioned towards the end of the conversation that he and Alex got their start in music by playing weddings with their father -- he was very proud of that. It was sort of a light mention - but I think maybe he wants to come full-circle now that he's a father and his dad is no longer alive. So regardless of what Anthony did or said, I think Ed will never allow him back into VH as long as his kid is around. Sounds like he'd justify just about anything he feels regarding VH -- it's his band and not a four-way partnership. Just my take. Ed is definatley a strange and opinionated guy. Loved their music w/ DLR, though. I'll take superficial good-time party/arena rock from the 70's and early 80's over emo any day of the week.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Michael Anthony is a good back up singer. But come on people VH went on without DLR. So Michael Anthony not being there is no big deal, as long as DLR is there. And no Sammy there is great. He ruined VH.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I too think this is terrible news. Stop fucking with a good thing, Ed!!! Jesus!!

I cannot grasp that Michael Anthony will not be in the group. When even Dave is considering going back..........

That makes me sad. His kid should start his own band for sure.....not screw with dad's band.

I personally think though that if Dave doesn't come back, Van Halen should finally and officially call it a career.

And I LOVE Van Halen.....the original that is. I do too really like Sammy and did like the Sammy days in the band....but nothing, I mean NOTHING can touch the original albums that were produced with Roth at the lead. That shit was just way ahead of its time!!!
  • I would think that Michael Anthony would love to be onboard for a reunion of the original band....but shit, he plays a somewhat decent bass..they can find any idiot to do that....not calling Wolfgang an idiot by the way.......if this hopeful reunion tour comes near Houston...then I am there.

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I too think this is terrible news. Stop fucking with a good thing, Ed!!! Jesus!!

I cannot grasp that Michael Anthony will not be in the group. When even Dave is considering going back..........

That makes me sad. His kid should start his own band for sure.....not screw with dad's band.

I personally think though that if Dave doesn't come back, Van Halen should finally and officially call it a career.

And I LOVE Van Halen.....the original that is. I do too really like Sammy and did like the Sammy days in the band....but nothing, I mean NOTHING can touch the original albums that were produced with Roth at the lead. That shit was just way ahead of its time!!!

Agree with all of that. I've seen VH live 11 times, all with Sammy though. After all, I was only 13 when Dave left the band so I never got a chance to see them live with Dave. I still love the early albums. I've been OK with the singer switches because I've always considered Van Halen to be the core band - Eddie, Alex and Mike.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Eddie's lost his mind. He's an egomaniac who can't get along with anyone but his brother. Whatever tour they put together will be a clusterfuck. Dave can't sing anymore (and he barely could to begin with). I'm sure Eddie's voice is shot by now, considering that even cancer won't stop him from smoking. Maybe he can still play guitar well if he's sober, but it's going to be hard to concentrate on that when there's a high school student and an out of tune attention whore on the stage.

It's been about 11 years since the band really existed as something worth seeing. The new songs with Roth and Sammy from the 2 Greatest Hits albums they did were decent for the most part, but not as good as you'd hope they could do considering how much time Ed had to write songs while sitting around doing nothing after the Gary Cherone disaster.

Van Halen used to be my favorite band when I was a kid. I was pissed when they fired Sammy, and it's been pretty forgettable since then. Eddie should either get his shit together and bring Mike and Sammy back for a real reunion (new album, not another Best Of with 2 new songs) or let the band die with whatever integrity it has left before it becomes known more for the horror show it's become than the greatness they acheived for the first 18 years.
  • I never really like E.V.H. but I completely gave up after he decided to call Page sloppy.
  • I never really like E.V.H. but I completely gave up after he decided to call Page sloppy.

page was incredibly sloppy live.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Eddie should either get his shit together and bring Mike and Sammy back for a real reunion (new album, not another Best Of with 2 new songs) or let the band die with whatever integrity it has left before it becomes known more for the horror show it's become than the greatness they acheived for the first 18 years.

They did that reunion in 2004 and it was fun to see, but the new songs were not that good and I do not know if I would want a whole album of songs like the 3 that were on the latest greatest hits.
    I would love to see them with Dave, although I have my reservations as to how good Dave would be. They have been my favorite band since VH self titled came out and I was too young to see them with DLR before they broke up. I have seen all other incarnations of VH and Dave's solo career, but I still need to see them all together.
    I will not be happy about not having Mike. His bass is solid and his backing vocals were great.
  • page was incredibly sloppy live.

Seriously? That doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Page was sloppy live in the late 70's when he was too whacked out on heroin to play, but in the early days, he was a beast. Listen to the BBC sessions.
    Eddie's lost his mind. He's an egomaniac who can't get along with anyone but his brother. Whatever tour they put together will be a clusterfuck. Dave can't sing anymore (and he barely could to begin with). I'm sure Eddie's voice is shot by now, considering that even cancer won't stop him from smoking. Maybe he can still play guitar well if he's sober, but it's going to be hard to concentrate on that when there's a high school student and an out of tune attention whore on the stage.

It's been about 11 years since the band really existed as something worth seeing. The new songs with Roth and Sammy from the 2 Greatest Hits albums they did were decent for the most part, but not as good as you'd hope they could do considering how much time Ed had to write songs while sitting around doing nothing after the Gary Cherone disaster.

Van Halen used to be my favorite band when I was a kid. I was pissed when they fired Sammy, and it's been pretty forgettable since then. Eddie should either get his shit together and bring Mike and Sammy back for a real reunion (new album, not another Best Of with 2 new songs) or let the band die with whatever integrity it has left before it becomes known more for the horror show it's become than the greatness they acheived for the first 18 years.

well said...........