Options

Anyone Heard of, Minus the Bear

porchdwellerporchdweller Posts: 228
edited August 2007 in Other Music
My friend who lives in Chicago played some of their stuff from them on his Ipod. I really liked it. It had a Death Cab feel to it.
"That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Not sure about a Death Cab feel, but yes, I do love em.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    pretty decent band. catchy. I have Menos El Oso and They Make Beer Commericals Like This EP.
  • Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Yeah they write some good catchy songs...I love how the guitarist Dave Knudson changed his style so drastically from his previous metal band Botch.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Man they aren't like Death Cab at ALL. Bite your tongue. Great band, even if their new one wasn't as great as their previous one.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    yes, I have heard of, them.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Highly REfined Pirates is the way to go! although i like the newest menos el olso a lot too.

I love this band. They are not the greatest, but i just like the music they make. I saw them a month or so ago in this little shack (literally) of a club that held maybe 200 people ... maybe and they just rocked it. They were really down to earth before and after the show.

Awesome band.

I think once you listen to them a little more that deatch cab comparison will go away they are quite a different band.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    awesome band. i love the fact that they play post-jazz/indie type stuff, but aren't afraid to go crazy with the technical skill regardless. as for sounding like death cab, i'm not sure i agree. they rock way harder than death cab does.
    obviously, you're not a golfer.
  • Options
    Highly Refined Pirates is a kick ass CD. Their EP's are solid as well.

I'd definitely like to see them live.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    they're just great.
    well.. they used to be.
    they're still pretty good though.
    this heart's on fire
  • Options
    thx for the advice everyone. I only heard a few songs, but the ones I heard gave me the death cab feel. I'll go check out one of their cds.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Options
    EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    I like Minus The Bear. The drummer plays pretty well. If any of you guys are in Western Washington, they'll be playing in Seattle late January at a great venue.
  • Options
    Echo27Echo27 Posts: 57
    Actually, they're playing live on KEXP right now...

http://www.kexp.org
    "I am disrespectful to dirt! Can you see that I am serious?"
  • Options
    Has anyone checked out their new album that came out today?

i'm going to get it after work
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    Planet of Ice took me a few listens to fully enjoy. It is great and definitely worth buying though. Throwin' Shapes, Double Vision Quest and Burying Luck are amazing songs. I'm really surprised these guys aren't huge. I got the bonus cd with it and Electric Rainbow is a good song that probably should have been on the album. I'm going to see them at the showbox hopefully.
  • Options
    Bremerton wrote:
    Planet of Ice took me a few listens to fully enjoy. It is great and definitely worth buying though. Throwin' Shapes, Double Vision Quest and Burying Luck are amazing songs. I'm really surprised these guys aren't huge. I got the bonus cd with it and Electric Rainbow is a good song that probably should have been on the album. I'm going to see them at the showbox hopefully.
    hmm where did you get this "bonus" cd from?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    intodeep wrote:
    hmm where did you get this "bonus" cd from?
    I preordered it through suicide squeeze records and it came with that, a sticker, and a button set. They sent it out a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    Bremerton wrote:
    I preordered it through suicide squeeze records and it came with that, a sticker, and a button set. They sent it out a couple of weeks ago.
    That was pretty smart of you. I did not know about that.

it is not on itunes :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Bremerton wrote:

I actually just called best buy and i'll be damned they had it and it came with the bonus cd :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Mine also came with a bonus CD and I just got it at HMV. B-sides = good, remixes and demos = zzzzz.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    picked this up a couple days ago, haven't given it a proper listen. if someone is in the sharing mood, feel free to send the b-sides :)
  • Options
    Some nice spacey sounding jams on this album. I still have not made it all the way through but i'll finish it up on my ride home from work tonight.

I agree the bonus disc is nothing to be excited over demo's are boring and remixes i don't care for.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22