a serious discussion about soundgarden

2»

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    How exactly has the guy lost credibility? I'm not a fan of Carry On but a lot of people liked it, and you can't fault him for trying something new. The only thing I can think of is the designer jeans gig, which was an arsehole move. Apart from that, I'm struggling. Unless you're one of those rock elitists who vomit at the thought of him working with Timberland (can't spell 'crap' without spelling 'rap' and all that shit, right?).

To be honest, I've always thought that hating music because of your personal opinion on the artist is a bit stupid. Music is music, don't let predjudices get in the way. Axl Rose? Twat. The stuff he did with Guns and Roses? Absoutely amazing. Of course, it works the other way as well - building up a false image of somebody and completely worshipping them, to the point that if the artist took a shit it would be hailed as gold. Some of the Chris Cornell fans on the official Cornell message board are frankly quite scary.

I don't think Cornell was Soundgarden however, as somebody here said. For starters, if he was, his solo albums would have rivaled Soundgardens (which they don't, IMO). And as good as his backing band are at the moment, they are no Soundgarden or Rage.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I'm not a huge post-Soundgarden Cornell fan, I love Euphoria Morning and the first Audioslave record was ok but the rest isn't really my thing.....

Still, nothing will tarnish Soundgarden's legacy in my eyes....

They remain a band on their own, easily one of the greatest ever.....

Superunknown and Down On The Upside are arguably 2 of the greatest albums ever made.....

Cornell wasn't Soundgarden - Soundgarden were Soundgarden, those 4 had an amazing musical connection.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • People like culot4 are the ones that have a crush on Chris Cornell and they can't handle it. They're just so jealous, its funny.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • i agree... that's a heavy duty man-crush gone awry.
  • corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    i agree... that's a heavy duty man-crush gone awry.
    Well, this thread took an interesting turn :)

I haven't followed Cornell post-Soundgarden, but I like his 06 acoustic set from Sweden. It's clear the man is still deeply into his music and remains a major force.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Hey Chris Corny....When are you going to drop Magnum on us?
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I'm not a huge post-Soundgarden Cornell fan, I love Euphoria Morning and the first Audioslave record was ok but the rest isn't really my thing.....

Still, nothing will tarnish Soundgarden's legacy in my eyes....

They remain a band on their own, easily one of the greatest ever.....

Superunknown and Down On The Upside are arguably 2 of the greatest albums ever made.....

Cornell wasn't Soundgarden - Soundgarden were Soundgarden, those 4 had an amazing musical connection.....

Well yeah, I take it back-- but Cornell wrote nearly all those songs. I'd me rephrase that and say he was the most important member. Saying that Cornell ruins SG would be like saying the Pete Townshend ruins The Who. It makes no sense.
  • soundgarden was a great band one of those i ask 'how would be their music today' theres no real good music, pearl jam is one of those few bands that are just, excellent and perfect.

chris cornell has a great voice, though i listened his album and its quite.. um spoiled..? i dont know, i speak spanish, audioslave was also a good band and euphoria morning a nice album. soundgarden was just different nothing sounded like them. and i hate when people talk about sg having only black hole sun in mind, come on they were more than that!!!!

and by the way, -please answer my post no one does in this forum :S - what has happened with ben shepherd what has he been doing?, and kim??
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    culot4 wrote:
    Hey Chris Corny....When are you going to drop Magnum on us?

Zoolander was a shit film.
  • culot4 wrote:
    Sure it holds water because the only problem with using VH as an example is that band sucks too. Soundgarden in its time was a really good band, but when Cornell decided to turn into Derrick Zoolander it made Soundgarden look like a fad cashing in on the right image at the right time. If it was 1985 I don't think Cornell would have had any problem using a can of Aqua Net on his head, and being the frontman for Poison. We all got duped. The guy is a phony.

Listening to elitist bitches calling artists 'sell outs' is getting old. The guy has never seemed anything but extrememly genuine and so maybe you should consider that his choice to write a 'pop' album like Carry On was actually something he wanted to do for artistic reasons?

Further given that Soundgarden was around in 1985....and Cornell sure as hell wasn't wearing Aqua Net I can't understand the justification for calling him a phony. Soundgarden (and Cornell) always did what they wanted the way they wanted and thats what mad them them cool-setting the trend rather than following it.
    Listening to elitist bitches calling artists 'sell outs' is getting old. The guy has never seemed anything but extrememly genuine and so maybe you should consider that his choice to write a 'pop' album like Carry On was actually something he wanted to do for artistic reasons?

Further given that Soundgarden was around in 1985....and Cornell sure as hell wasn't wearing Aqua Net I can't understand the justification for calling him a phony. Soundgarden (and Cornell) always did what they wanted the way they wanted and thats what mad them them cool-setting the trend rather than following it.

Exactly. If he had really wanted to sell out he could have just assembled a band and written an album that sounded exactly like Soundgarden, it certainly would have made him more money.
  • Exactly. If he had really wanted to sell out he could have just assembled a band and written an album that sounded exactly like Soundgarden, it certainly would have made him more money.

Heck, the fact that SG hasn't reformed yet or released a DVD/B-sides collection is proof enough Cornell and his band members aren't the money hungry pigs jealous people make them out to be.

Having said that the band will probably reform tomorrow destroying my argument :)
    Heck, the fact that SG hasn't reformed yet or released a DVD/B-sides collection is proof enough Cornell and his band members aren't the money hungry pigs jealous people make them out to be.

Having said that the band will probably reform tomorrow destroying my argument :)

Or the fact that he left Audioslave because he wasn't musically satisfied. He could have easily coasted by releasing a few more albums with them.
  • i did a search for sg and a billion things showed up, so fuck it. a new soundgarden thread.

when i'm diggin on soundgarden, i rank them second only to the mighty zep for creative, soul bearing classic rock muzak. what a great band, what a great career, what an amazing catalog of music. a beautiful evolution from the gnarly hardcore acid blues of "screaming life," to the almost cock rock "fopp", to the dischordant hardcore metal on "ultramega ok", to the streamlined and subversively mainstreamed "louder than love," to the immortal epicness of "badmotorfinger," to the brain-blowingly diverse "superunknown," and, finally, the experimental last-gasp of "down on the upside"... these guys never bent to any corporate will or greed... they stayed the course, playing to please and challenge themselves... and it shows... their legacy will last for as long as teenage kids listen to cool music and smoke dope behind the school. "searching with my good eye closed" will never sound old, "beyond the wheel" will never sound like something from the long lost past, "jesus christ pose" will crush skulls until music is never played again, and "i awake" will never be anything but the darkest love song of all time.

i'm winding down my annual soundgarden kick. every spring i get the urge and run through their entire catalog over and over and over for a few weeks. love this fucking band. their legacy is so strong, that noone dares sound like them. queens of the stone age are the only guys trying for that classic heaviness (and succeeding).

Very well put m'friend. I would even dare to be so brazen as to say SG>Zep. They're the only band that rival my love of Pearl Jam and have lately been in heavier rotation.

Did any of you all get the chance to catch CC on the Carry On tour?

Three crooked hearts, swirls all around

You can't spell Gossard without G-O-D
  • Very well put m'friend. I would even dare to be so brazen as to say SG>Zep. They're the only band that rival my love of Pearl Jam and have lately been in heavier rotation.

Oh yeah, I caught a CC show last year. Amazing. One of the very best shows I've ever seen. I still want to know what the word is on the new Cornell album, anybody?
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    SG was, in my opinion, the quintisential band to come out of Seattle. In a lot of ways they paved the road for bands like Nirvana to be recognized (i.e. sub pop). They still find their way into my rotation frequently and I doubt that will ever change. Never got to see them live.........still bummed about that.
  • Oh yeah, I caught a CC show last year. Amazing. One of the very best shows I've ever seen. I still want to know what the word is on the new Cornell album, anybody?

Likewise, which show did you go to?

As far as a new album, it should be nearly completed already. He's touring Europe soon and I fully expect new songs to surface in those set lists. As soon as they do, I'm sure they'll be on Jeffgarden.com

• Likewise, which show did you go to?

As far as a new album, it should be nearly completed already. He's touring Europe soon and I fully expect new songs to surface in those set lists. As soon as they do, I'm sure they'll be on Jeffgarden.com

Dallas. I was just a great experience. I really think he has a good chance of producing a life long catolog thats as good as any artist. God knows he's held to the highest standards. Could you imagine if the internet was around in the eighties... people would be ripping Robert Plant like they do Cornell. Possibly Cornell's music will go way past Plants into the realm of ..... Neil Young.... yes, I said it. Its a different kind of music than Neil's, but I'm speaking in terms of quality and quantity.

Before anyone gets excited, Plants last two rock albums were stellar and Raising Sand is good too. But before that....
  • I saw him twice last tour, both front and center. What an amazing experince. His voice was in peak shape and he has great chemistry with the new band. The sets couldn't have been better. I nearly peed myself when he did Say Hello to Heaven. JCP, Pretty Noose (which he played for me) and the 4th of July tag also stand out

• i did a search for sg and a billion things showed up, so fuck it. a new soundgarden thread.

when i'm diggin on soundgarden, i rank them second only to the mighty zep for creative, soul bearing classic rock muzak. what a great band, what a great career, what an amazing catalog of music. a beautiful evolution from the gnarly hardcore acid blues of "screaming life," to the almost cock rock "fopp", to the dischordant hardcore metal on "ultramega ok", to the streamlined and subversively mainstreamed "louder than love," to the immortal epicness of "badmotorfinger," to the brain-blowingly diverse "superunknown," and, finally, the experimental last-gasp of "down on the upside"... these guys never bent to any corporate will or greed... they stayed the course, playing to please and challenge themselves... and it shows... their legacy will last for as long as teenage kids listen to cool music and smoke dope behind the school. "searching with my good eye closed" will never sound old, "beyond the wheel" will never sound like something from the long lost past, "jesus christ pose" will crush skulls until music is never played again, and "i awake" will never be anything but the darkest love song of all time.

i'm winding down my annual soundgarden kick. every spring i get the urge and run through their entire catalog over and over and over for a few weeks. love this fucking band. their legacy is so strong, that noone dares sound like them. queens of the stone age are the only guys trying for that classic heaviness (and succeeding).

ha perfect!

I have to say, I liked soundgarden in the 90s when I was in jr. high/ high school, but I was so obsessed with pearl jam that I never put ALL that much effort into listening to them. then in college, after they broke up, I got back into them with a vengence. You are correct to use the term "heaviness." There are not many other bands (correct, possibly QOTSA) that just make me feel *cool* when I'm listening to them. I love walking down the street with Fresh Tendrils or Rusty Cage playing- makes me feel unstoppable. Love to work out and lift weights to JCP or Outshined. Good thread.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I saw him 3 times last year and it was not enough. Yes, I'm one of those praying to the Gods of music for yet another North American leg of his tour. Not only was the music on and the vocals fierce but the Cornell looked like he was hiving the time of his life and damned if that doesn't translate to you and me in the seats. At the Costa Mesa, CA show they kicked "Slaves And Bulldozers" ass and buried it in blues. (see You Tube for the visual aide).

Plus he made me choke when, before they left the stage, he advised everyone not to drive on the PCH with cocaine in your pants.

Thank you, Lindsey Lohan.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I saw Cornell 3 times last year and wish it could have been more. He's playing such a huge selection of songs and he's toured most of the world in one year; in that respect I think it might be better for him to be a solo artist. Plus his current backing band is immense.
  • Saw Cornell last summer on my 21st birthday in Detroit. It was a great show; the set was unbelievable. They played Let Me Drown, in fact they opened with it, my jaw about hit the floor.

Chris also played Seasons from the Singles soundtrack, that was a definite highlight.

The opening band was fronted by the actress Juliette Lewis and after the set we were outside and she walked out right by where we were.

After the show, at the bar next door, met Cornell's bass player. He was kind of a dick haha.

Look forward to a new Cornell album.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Soundgarden were truely amazing in my opinion. Any band that has Badmotorfinger, Superunknown & Down On The Upside to their name is just pure genius in my book.
    Like people have previously said, each member of the band was equal. But, they were so talented as individuals, it was almost as if Soundgarden was a 'super group' !

As for the people slagging off Cornell, I just don't get it.
    He makes music. You either like it, or you don't. Simple.
    Who cares what he looks like, what he wears or what he says?!
    If you like his music, buy the record. If not, then don't!
    Personally I think he's incredible. Added to the SG albums mentioned above is Louder Than Love, TOTD, EM, the 1st Audioslave album...That's some seriously great material that surpasses most artist.
    Saw his live last Sept. Awesome. Greatest vocalist I've ever heard.

Read somewhere yesterday that the new solo album is being mixed at the moment, and could be released within a month!!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.