Shudder to Think

newwetkojaknewwetkojak Posts: 62
edited July 2008 in Other Music
one of the most truly fucking weird bands of all time, and their "pony express record" is among the oddest major label releases ever. that record is like a perfect pop album shattered into a million pieces and re-assembled completely randomly. most people don't even make it into the weird instrumentation cuz the supergayass vocals and surreal, dali-esque lyrics slam the door in their faces before they ever get the chance. but there is no denying that there has never been a band like this before or since, nor will there ever be. totally fucking strange, yet catchy as hell, and time signatures and riffs that will leave you scratching your head with your mouth wide open in awe.

the record after that one, "50,000 b.c." is far more straightforward and slicked out... top notch glam rock with BEAUTIFUL and unusual ballads, with a few songs that sound like journey with talent and a creative vision from outer space.

their albums for dischord records are great too, 'specially "get your goat" which was the stepping stone for the utter strangeness of "pony express record", and their soundtracks are good too (velvet goldmine, high art, first love, last rites).

well worth looking into.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    great band! Craig Wedren's vocals were merely another instument and a sick one at that. Nathon Larson had a mock Keith Richards swagger on lead guitar and all the real chops to go along with it. For better or for worse, their off timings influenced a whole crop of east coast post-punk: (The dismemberment Plan, Q and not U, The Forms) One of the best shows I ever saw was Shudder opening for Pavement in 97. As much as I worship Pavement, Shudder gave them a run for their money on those nights. I'll be waiting for them to add some dates other than V fest which I can't attend.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • ahhhh, a knowledgable shudder fan.

nice.

by the way, there are a handful of other tour dates out there, you should take a look.
  • *crickets*

noone else, huh? too bad
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    One of the few Dischord bands that I have yet to check out and I'm not sure why. I love almost every record that label has ever released. What album should I listen to first? Pony Express Record? Or am I likely to find one of their Dischord ones a better starting point since I'm a fan of the kind of music the label puts out?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    One of the few Dischord bands that I have yet to check out and I'm not sure why. I love almost every record that label has ever released. What album should I listen to first? Pony Express Record? Or am I likely to find one of their Dischord ones a better starting point since I'm a fan of the kind of music the label puts out?

yeah, why don't you check these out as a starter, both off of The Pony Express Record, although as far as Dischord releases Get Your Goat is excellent although possibly out of print.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEiBSiDtfEk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGJy2EHCMQ
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • ha! i don't know if i would recommend checking out the hit liquor video first... that's kinda like mace to the eyes and ears to the untrained listener!

if you are a big fan of dischord bands, definitely start out with the "funeral at the movie/ten spot" compilation. it's their first two dischord albums released on the same disc. they were still the artiest, weirdest dischord band, but still mostly straightforward. their next dischord release, "get your goat" turns everything on its ear and is a far more challenging sound. it's only weirder with "pony express record" which can either blow minds or sound like utter art-fag bullshit, depending on your tastes.

one of the most complex and puzzling bands ever.