Options

New Metallica

Sludge FactorySludge Factory Posts: 976
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Apparently Metallica have been in the studio working on a new album. I don't know if this old news or not; it was new to me.

http://www.livedaily.com/news/Metallica_escapes_from_the_studio_for_live_shows-9574.html?t=97

Metallica (music), whose members have been busy working on the follow-up to 2003's "St. Anger," will take a break from the recording studio to perform at some summer festivals.

So far, the group has laid out plans to hit the stage at five June festivals in Europe, details on which are included below.

"Please understand that we're making this up as we go along," the group wrote in a message posted at its website. "We wanna keep you as in the loop as possible, but this s--- is literally happening as we are typing, so please watch this space for more info as we get it regarding support acts, potential additional dates, change of something or other not expected as these VERY words are being typed, etc."

Dubbed "Escape from the Studio '06," the upcoming tour takes its name from the band's similar 1995 outing, which came in the midst of recording sessions for 1996's "Load."

"We had such a great time when we did this back in the day in '95, which was ... eh, like we had planned for '06, a year dedicated to nothing but writing and recording," the group's message reads. "Oh well, how the best laid plans can change. So when we were asked, we figured why not do it again!!! Escape from the studio once more and spend our summer vacation hanging out at the coolest live music festivals on the planet."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    good to hear! thanks fo the news, SF ! :)
  • Options
    prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    well have to see how much worse this record will be from the last.
  • Options
    prljam85 wrote:
    well have to see how much worse this record will be from the last.
    It can't get any worse.
  • Options
    ...i wish they would "lose" bob rock, and see what they come out with then...like pj, the tragically hip, neil young, etc. i'll still buy a metallica album the day it comes out...
  • Options
    Yeah, if you follow the link to their website from the article you can find a video that was shot of them sometime in December. It isn't much, just them talking about what they've been doing in their time off. I'm hoping that with Trujillo they maybe will have better ideas or something.
  • Options
    Yeah, if you follow the link to their website from the article you can find a video that was shot of them sometime in December. It isn't much, just them talking about what they've been doing in their time off. I'm hoping that with Trujillo they maybe will have better ideas or something.

i hope they let him have more creative input than they allowed newkid to have.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Kerrang interview.

METALLICA's ULRICH: We Don't Need To Make Another 'St. Anger' - Apr. 17, 2006

METALLICA's Lars Ulrich has exclusively revealed to Kerrang! magazine that the band's new material has an "old-school" METALLICA flavor.

The metal legends are currently working on the follow-up to 2003's "St. Anger" in their own studio at METALLICA HQ in San Rafael, California.

"The last album was an unusual METALLICA album in that no one brought ideas into the studio. Everything you hear on that album was given birth to in the studio," the drummer notes. "This time around we've each brought in ideas as we used to — as well as working on some jams we had from from two summers ago — and James [Hetfield] and I are sorting through our CDs of riffs to put together stuff as we did back in the day.

"The new stuff is much more organic, more old school. It certainly doesn't feel like 'St. Anger' Part Two," Ulrich adds. "When we were rehearsing for our South African shows and started playing the 'St. Anger' stuff, it definitely felt very different to the rest of the set because of how the songs were put together. It was really important to make that record in the way we did because of the chaotic internal vibe at that time: 'St. Anger' was a statement, 55 minutes of brutality packed onto a CD, proving to ourselves that we still had the spark. 'St. Anger' was fun but we don't need to make that album again."

Ulrich says that the band have six or seven songs nearing completion, minus vocals and they are using producer Rick Rubin, famed for his work with RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, SYSTEM OF A DOWN and SLAYER, for the first time. This collaboration marks the end of the quartet's 15-year relationship with producer Bob Rock, but Ulrich insists the split was drama free.

"We had a great time with Bob," he admits. "But it seemed that after 15 years it was time to try some different things and get a different perspective. As you get older you get set in your ways and get very fucking spoilt. It was important for as to not get stuck. Rick makes everything — he sees the big picture and has big ideas. It's working out great. We're excited hearing shit come together!"

METALLICA's as-yet-untitled album is expected in early 2007.
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    ...i wish they would "lose" bob rock, and see what they come out with then...like pj, the tragically hip, neil young, etc. i'll still buy a metallica album the day it comes out...

Bob Rock is gone, I just read an interview with the band about it. I can't think of the new guys name.

EDIT-Spoke too soon.
  • Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    Rick Rubin seems to have the magic touch. He always seems to bring out the best in the artists that he works with instead of making the artist more commercially viable.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    I can't wait for the album.

Metallica is in a no win situation though. Even if they do make an amazing album people are still going to shit on them. It seems like its the cool thing to do these days.
  • Options
    the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    i was really glad to hear that robert was going to be their bass player,and now reading that rick will be producing makes me look forward to their new work even more.

i havent bought anything of theirs since garage days revisited was first released back in the day untill st anger.

i liked it in the fact it had attitiude again....but i like the dvd better with robert playing on it....

hopefully this new one will have a lead on it.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    thankfully they have lost him. Rick Rubin is producing it. I wish they'd bring back flemming rasmusson though so we get a Ride the lightning feel. Old school production suits metal.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    I can't wait for the album.

Metallica is in a no win situation though. Even if they do make an amazing album people are still going to shit on them. It seems like its the cool thing to do these days.
    exactly...its a shame that most music fans are childish and only know how to talk out of their ass.

heard they have already worked on 7-8 tracks..i can't wait for this one..it sounds really promising.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    If anyone can turn the band's fortunes around, it's Rick Rubin. That guy is incredible.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    It depends which direction Rick takes it, if he can make it similar to the albums he did with Slayer that would be amazing. I would love ot hear another speed based record by Metallica.
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I am so tired of Metallica I'm asleep as I type this...but I thought St. Anger was pretty cool musically. Hetfields voice was awful, though.
  • Options
    thank goodness bob rock is gone ..... if only OLP will follow suit.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.